BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School scraps uniform rules to support transgender pupils
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jan 21 2016, 07:41 AM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

Independent school Brighton College has scrapped its traditional uniform rules to accommodate transgender pupils.

The school is introducing a "trouser uniform" and a "skirt uniform" that can be worn by pupils up to age 16, regardless of their biological gender.

At least one person with gender dysphoria has taken up the option, according to the college.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/ja...nsgender-pupils

What do to you think of this move? I suspect we will have a lot of posters in support of this but is it perhaps too young for children or if not at what age do these issues begin to surface and should it be rolled out across the country?? This college has children from Reception and Year 1 right up to Sixth Form - will they all understand and respect the change?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 21 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #2
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I think it's great biggrin.gif I don't see what people would have against it, it doesn't concern people's lives and affect how they live so why should it bother them?

Besides, if you're transgender you deserve to be treated as who you are, not who you've been told to be at birth.

Probably about 90% of school children will be fine with this, a lot more than people expect, I think children are more accepting than adults in some cases.

+Quote Post
Juranamo
post Jan 21 2016, 08:38 AM
Post #3
"Everything seems different the second time around."
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,830
   No Gallery Pics

Although this is a clear step towards inclusion and equality for the transgender community, and I think this is a brilliant idea, I have reservations.

First reservation is the issue of bullying, particularly for older pupils who are used to the traditional binary dress code. When a pupil decides that they would like to wear the 'skirt uniform' when they have previously worn the 'trouser uniform', I could see that leading to other pupils teasing, excluding and potentially attacking them. sad.gif

Second reservation is parental intervention. I could see some parents forcing (particularly younger children) to wear, what they consider to be, the correct uniform. This could cause the pupil to feel trapped (can't think of a better word) if there are other children freely allowed to wear the uniform they choose (i.e. 'trouser uniform' on a female born child).

But like mdh pointed out, younger people do tend to be more open minded, so if they grow up with non-binary classmates, it will be for the greater good!

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 21 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #4
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Faith in humanity restored!

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jan 21 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #5
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Clearly a good move. If someone is transgender anyway, bullying is probably something they already live with, so at least being able to be comfortable and themselves is a small move for the better. Of course not all people who will take this up would be being bullied necessarily, but as others have said young people do tend to be more open minded than parents, so I have hope that it will be a positive move for them too.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jan 21 2016, 09:28 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I think it's a great move. I agree that a transgender person is likely to face some form of bullying anyway.

Society is generally so far behind with the knowledge, understanding and acceptance of the trans community, that things like this are important in slowly bringing us forward.

Regardless of trans issues, I think everyone needs to tone down on gender stereotypes, it's so embedded in our day-to-day life, though. When someone announces they're having a baby girl, they're suddenly swimming in a sea of pink.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 21 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #7
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

this is so good to read! it's something so small and easy to do for the schools, yet will have a massive impact for those who currently feel pressured by the gendered uniforming!

In my opinion all dress codes, whether it be for schools or work, need to be made gender neutral. Many of the rules are unfair for a start (eg girls can't wear vest stops and show their shoulders- but boys can, or boys can't wear heels but girls can) and just having those rules creates social stigma in the first place. Just let people be who they want to be and wear whichever gendered clothes they want to wear!

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jan 21 2016, 11:07 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

Of course this will be met with a great deal of disapproval, but you've got to face that before things get better. The more it's avoided, the longer people's issues surrounding transgender will exist. A lot of these issues revolve, I'd say, around just not knowing, so this is a great step towards transgender being included in PSHCE (or whatever it's called now) and sex education lessons because, when people are actually confronted with what they've been willing to ignore, they'll want to ask questions and be informed.

It's worth pointing out that once upon a time women wouldn't have been able to wear trousers, yet now it is so accepted that people don't even think about it!

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Jan 21 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

It's a big step forward, we don't wear school uniforms over here at all and anyone here can wear whatever they want. I'm not saying that is always the best but it's way better than wearing a school uniform.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jan 21 2016, 11:57 AM
Post #10

I definitely think school uniforms in general are a good idea, they equalise everyone. It's just a shame that it's so binary and gender focused in general, but this should hopefully begin a change in that.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 21 2016, 12:01 PM
Post #11
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Whether we should have school uniform or not could be a whole other thread kink.gif

personally I hated wearing my school uniform in lower school as the rules were so strict and I didn't feel like I could express myself through what I was wearing. I much prefer wearing my own clothes now in sixth form, no one seems to care if anyone wears the same outfit a couple of times a week, and I've never heard of any cases of people being put down for not wearing specific brands etc! Although this is just the case in my school- I don't know if that would be a problem anywhere else. Moreover it's so nice being able to dress for the weather, whereas in the uniform we were only allowed to take off our jumpers if the school issued a notice saying we could- and occasionally it would get very hot before that happened!

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jan 21 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #12
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(Qween @ Jan 21 2016, 11:57 AM) *
I definitely think school uniforms in general are a good idea, they equalise everyone. It's just a shame that it's so binary and gender focused in general, but this should hopefully begin a change in that.

I agree with this and I approve of the idea in the opening post a lot. What I don't quite get / may be misunderstanding is the use of "trouser uniform" - were girls not allowed to wear trousers if they wanted to before, were skirts forced? That sounds rather backwards to me unsure.gif Maybe I've just missed something and it's just there to go along with the "skirt uniform"

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 21 2016, 01:07 PM
Post #13
masala me
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(J▲hq @ Jan 21 2016, 12:54 PM) *
I agree with this and I approve of the idea in the opening post a lot. What I don't quite get / may be misunderstanding is the use of "trouser uniform" - were girls not allowed to wear trousers if they wanted to before, were skirts forced? That sounds rather backwards to me unsure.gif Maybe I've just missed something and it's just there to go along with the "skirt uniform"

Yes, that's the case as far as I've been aware, in schools girls wear skirts (or kilts), and they didn't get a choice in the matter, even when the school skirts were often so much harder to keep on. Like, even though it'd probably be more acceptable to their peers if a girl were to wear a trouser uniform (as opposed to the opposite), I can't recall it ever being allowed. If this becomes a larger thing I'd expect several girls to adopt wearing trousers just as a matter of preference outside gender identity.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jan 21 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

In my high school (those 10+ years ago), girls were always allowed to wear trousers instead of skirts, and I think about 70% of them opted for the former.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Jan 21 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #15
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

compulsory uniform with no choice in the matter is beyond evil. literally one of the most terrible words too. what a lazy ignorant backwards tradition made to discriminate and feel like an insignificant part of a mob. 'who told you you're an individual? now put on this uniform and be like everyone else. there's nothing special about you bitch'. equality MY ASS. if you don't wear uniform, it doesn't mean everything will turn into chaos the next second. so stupid. ugh.

as for the topic at hand, yay. but nay @ them apparently not being able to wear anything other than the outfits assigned to their genders. :/

+Quote Post
LexC
post Jan 21 2016, 04:07 PM
Post #16
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Yeah I'd say about 98% of the girls at my school wore what they're describing as "the trouser uniform" to the point where I barely remember any of them wearing skirts (the whole being forced to wear them just feels so alien to me, I can't even). I think that's generally another part of the problem though, as the perception is that it's fine for girls to wear stuff that isn't 'traditionally' applied to their gender but the minute a boy wears 'girls clothes' at school the whole world is caving in.

But regardless, this is baby steps but it's still all for the good. That said, I think it's more important that PSHE/Sex Ed/Citizenship is teaching them about transgender issues rather than just allowing boys to wear skirts in classrooms.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jan 21 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(�� @ Jan 21 2016, 03:42 PM) *
compulsory uniform with no choice in the matter is beyond evil. literally one of the most terrible words too. what a lazy ignorant backwards tradition made to discriminate and feel like an insignificant part of a mob. 'who told you you're an individual? now put on this uniform and be like everyone else. there's nothing special about you bitch'. equality MY ASS. if you don't wear uniform, it doesn't mean everything will turn into chaos the next second. so stupid. ugh.

I've always taken the view that uniforms are good largely because it eliminates factors such as wealth allowing someone to buy all brand name clothes compared with someone who can't afford such things and ends up getting bullied for it. It's sad that that kind of thing happens, but it's really common. I mean we're talking already in this thread about people being bullied for being 'different', uniforms might be restrictive in terms of gender bias and the like, but at least they mean that rich or poor, no matter what your skin colour etc, you are equal on that level. If anything, uniforms are there so as NOT to discriminate. It might only be a small thing, but it's definitely a good thing in my opinion (your honour).

But perhaps I've been influenced by my own school (and basically every school I know of in NI) which has very strict uniform policies. My sister had to use crutches for a while last year after hurting her foot and she still had to wear a skirt, even though it was incredibly impractical and trousers would have been fine. It's bizarrely sexist and backwards, but then so many things are.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Jan 21 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #18
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

I think school uniforms are smart (or at least should be if designed properly - mine certainly was with the blazer) and that's suitable for a place where you're meant to be learning. Non-uniform days came across as more messy, too laid back or whatever for the environment but if done on a full-time basis maybe that wouldn't have been an issue because there wouldn't have been anything special about not wearing uniform.

A good portion of girls at my school wore trousers and the idea of girls being forced to wear skirts at some schools has me reacting like 'are you for real? in the 21st century?'

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jan 21 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #19
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I'm more surprised there's still genderised uniform out there. When I was at school most people wore the same regardless of gender. Girls wore trousers and hardly anyone wore skirts. Girls at my school can wear either.

Uniform is a must, however. As has been said, it keeps people equal. Attendance goes down like a shot on non uniform days because kids actually fear the nasty comments about their own clothes.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jan 21 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(T Boy @ Jan 21 2016, 05:09 PM) *
Uniform is a must, however. As has been said, it keeps people equal. Attendance goes down like a shot on non uniform days because kids actually fear the nasty comments about their own clothes.

That could be partly down to kids realising they'd be doing f*** all on non-uniform days anyway so see no point in turning up. kink.gif

But I do agree, I support uniforms too, just schools need to be less anal about it (and I'm not talking about not allowing girls to have skirts so high they've got their bits on display).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 07:47 AM