BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Musically Talented Artists
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 25 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #1
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Seriously, enough artist bashing. Let's hear who you think are the most talented artists. (painty pictures answer: Van Gogh, now on to real art, music)

I say this instead of 'favourite' because most people here tend to talk about their favourites a lot and I feel like this has more scope for discussion. Who, in your opinion, is (or was) the most talented musician or group of musicians on the planet?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jan 25 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #2
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

I've made it known a few times that I'm not a FAN of the likes of The Beatles at all, but clearly they were very talented musicians, so this is an interesting thread.

Anyway onto one I actually think needs to be mentioned, ABBA. I know it's pretty much accepted now that they made great music, but I still think a lot of people are, wrongly, dismissive of them as artists simply because of the type of music they made (and probably their look and origins in Eurovision). Quite aside from creating timeless melodies and arrangements, they managed to write some incredibly strong lyrics (see: Most of The Visitors, among many other examples), just as autobiographical and poignant as any, but people often seem to discount that totally. Essentially, yes, I am saying they are the most talented musicians I can think of because they managed to couple lyrical depth with amazing tunes, two concepts which are often incongruous.

Prime example: The Day Before You Came, a near 6 minute ode to a mundane life, yet it paints an incredibly vivid and strong picture of that life and coupled with the haunting vocals and killer arrangement is a musical masterclass.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #3
Yes, it's me.
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,885

Tori Amos is naturally one of the, if not THE most talented piano players in mainstream music (as opposed to classical music - even though she's certainly well regarded in classical music circles also.

Listen to this.

Or the intro to this

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 12:37 PM
Post #4
Yes, it's me.

From a technical point of view Aphex Twin and Trent Reznor are incredibly producers also.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 25 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Beatles
Abba
David Bowie
Pet Shop Boys

I'd go for those as the big ones.

Loads of others though, inlcuding background artists who produce other acts and avoid the spotlight.
Lots of Big Names require assistance from others, so I would disqualify those that aren't self-sufficient, to an extent that's Michael Jackson, Madonna, Rihanna etc. who co-write or cover or work closely with A.N Other.

Sure I've forgotten some gems though...

(PS if we're talking virtuos instrument players, which is not quite the same thing as someone who creates "art", then Lyndsey Buckingham is a brilliant guitar player)

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jan 25 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

The Corrs.

Seriously, I was wowed by them the other night, particularly Caroline. There's apparently no instrument she can't play well.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jan 25 2016, 12:42 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I think Marina And The Diamonds is a very talented singer (though her voice is an acquired taste) and songwriter. She also plays the piano nicely.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #8
Yes, it's me.

Are we talking about people who write vocal melodies also - of just people who play an instrument really well?

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 12:45 PM
Post #9
Yes, it's me.

Regarding guitar players I would put Graham Coxon at the top.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 25 2016, 12:51 PM
Post #10
don't lose your way
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Colm @ Jan 25 2016, 12:44 PM) *
Are we talking about people who write vocal melodies also - of just people who play an instrument really well?

In general, talented vocalists, talented lyricists, talented (multi-)instrumentalists. Hadn't thought to exclude anyone really. Guitar players is probably extra interesting for me.

Definitely agree with ABBA so far, and that Tori Amos video shows her up to be very talented, I'd only brushed with her really in the past so I wasn't quite aware of that side of her. I actually find this hard to really answer so it's an interesting topic for me to see who gets brought up.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 01:01 PM
Post #11
Yes, it's me.

She's incredible, dynamic, expressive, visceral.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Jan 25 2016, 01:10 PM
Post #12
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Pitbull

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Jan 25 2016, 01:14 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

Queen but especially Freddie Mercury, for me personally that man had an amazing voice and also amazing songwriting skills. Just listen to the Innuendo album which show the creativity of this band and also this:

This post has been edited by Maurice: Jan 25 2016, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jan 25 2016, 01:26 PM
Post #14
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

In terms of performance ability Michael Jackson stands above the rest and is the one I'd note over the ones that haven't been mentioned yet. His ability to command an entire stage and then away from the live aspect his ability to enthrall listeners with global messages is second to none. There are technically better singers and song writers obviously but he had talent that went much further from that and he was very part of the music he created.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #15
Yes, it's me.

We cant have Queen mentioned and not also mention Brian May's guitar playing.

Innuendo is my favourite Queen song - might as well have written all of Muse's career in once song.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #16
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(HausofTroye @ Jan 25 2016, 01:26 PM) *
In terms of performance ability Michael Jackson stands above the rest and is the one I'd note over the ones that haven't been mentioned yet. His ability to command an entire stage and then away from the live aspect his ability to enthrall listeners with global messages is second to none. There are technically better singers and song writers obviously but he had talent that went much further from that and he was very part of the music he created.

Not to take away from his obvious talent, he was more a gifted performer than a gifted musician.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jan 25 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

If we're going for old-timers, I'd throw Carole King in the mix, such an emotive singer, songwriter and all round musician.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 01:45 PM
Post #18
Yes, it's me.

The people with the most gifted voices are/were, for me, Kate Bush, Liz Frazier (Cocteau Twins), Antony Hegarty, Bjork, Amy Winehouse, David McAlmont,

This post has been edited by Colm: Jan 25 2016, 01:45 PM

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Jan 25 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #19
Merry Christmas <3
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

In 'classic' rock: Pink Floyd (Waters for lyrics, Gilmour for guitar, Rick Wright for jazz and piano influences, Mason's a good drummer), The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Queen (Especially Freddie).

More 'modern' rock: Muse (All three of them are fantastic together, Chris drives it with the bass, Matt is insane on songwriting, vocals and guitar and Dom can play hell of a fast), Kasabian, Oasis (Noel Gallagher at least), Keane (Tom Chaplin's technical ability with his voice is amazing and Tim Rice-Oxley has great piano/ songwriting skills and not too bad a voice himself)

Others:
will.i.am (Ok, I can't stand most of the stuff he puts out but he's got undeniable skills as a producer)
Eminem (even though I only like a few of his songs his rapping/ writing ability is phenomenal- the ones I do like, I really like)
Damon Albarn
Jon Gomm (standout guitar, nice voice)
Matt Thiessen
Adam Young
Kate Bush
Amy Winehouse
Frank Sinatra
Mike Oldfield
Eric Clapton
David Bowie
Stevie Wonder
Bob Marley
Aretha Franklin
Nina Simone

A lot of drastically different genres in there, vocalists and multi-instrumentalists but hey, it's all talent.

I could go on for a while. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: Jan 25 2016, 02:33 PM

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 25 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #20
Yes, it's me.

QUOTE(Jacob Alan @ Jan 25 2016, 02:33 PM) *
will.i.am (Ok, I can't stand most of the stuff he puts out but he's got undeniable skills as a producer)

I'd love to hear what he's done that impresses you,

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 03:54 PM