BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artists/songs that grew on you
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
M.
post Jan 26 2016, 01:12 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

What artists/songs have you had a turnaround for? That you used to just not get or like, but then at some point something just clicked?

Lady Gaga
When 'Just Dance' came out, I initially found it really annoying and didn't think I would ever like her as much as I do now. When I started hearing 'Poker Face' all over the place, I did find that very infectious, but it wasn't until I watched her perform 'Bad Romance' on The X Factor that I began to be properly interested.

Alicia Keys
For some reason, I used to dismiss her for a long time as a boring rnb star who I would never be interested in, but then I heard 'Try Sleeping With a Broken Heart' and fell in love with her music. My taste has really expanded over the years and I think she was one of the artists at the forefront of some of my musical developments that took place around 2009, which is when I got into her.

Michael Jackson
I couldn't stand his music when I was younger, but I fell in love with 'Dirty Diana' and it sort of developed from there...

Röyksopp
I loved their song 'Sparks' since I heard it for the first time, but everything else seemed ~too electronic~ for me at the time (lol). Whatever. But I kept listening and something just clicked at one point and now I enjoy a vast scope of electronic music.

Sugababes - Round Round
I used to find this so irritating lmao, but sometimes when you hear something a lot you can't help but get drawn into it. And that's what happened magic.gif

Maroon 5 - This Love
Same deal with this. I heard it constantly when it first came out and it irritated me so much, but then, I dunno, it really grew on me and I ended up enjoying the whole album!

Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
A more recent one! I didn't really like this at first but kept listening, and while it's probably still not among my favourites on the album, it did grow on me!

I'm kicking myself because I know there's one other one that I'm thinking of but I can't think of what it was! laugh.gif I'm sure there are many other ones but there was one in particular that I wanted to mention...

Go ahead~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 26 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #2
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

Blur - I disliked them because of the song Parklife and because them and Oasis (who I also hated at the time) overshadowed Suede's magnificent album Dog Man Star in 1994. Now they're one of my Top 10 bands ever.

The Smiths - I knew they were great but for a while after I got Singles I felt they were overrated. Since then they've become one of my Top 20 artists.

Moves Like Jagger - hated it for ages. Then Marcus Collins did it on X Factor and for some reason I started to like it. Now I really like it.

Kylie - All the Lovers - I used to slag this off a lot on Buzzjack. It's once of her best.

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Jan 26 2016, 08:10 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

Little Mix, liked them during the X Factor but started to dislike them during their first album campaign. Love them again since Black Magic.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jan 26 2016, 09:21 AM
Post #4
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Justin Bieber is the biggest one for me. Wasn't really a fan at first but ended up feeling curious over his debut album and had a listen. Never looked back heart.gif

Wasn't that keen on The Saturdays at first either actually and they're now among my favourite artists ever, so just goes to show!

Also hated Iggy Azalea's Fancy on first listen and it went on to be my #1 song of the year.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Jan 26 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #5
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Marina and the Diamonds, I used to not like her voice at all and idk how that was even possible in hindsight but yea, it took a lot of convincing for me to listen to Froot laugh.gif I'm sure pretty much everyone is aware of how much I adore her now though wub.gif

Lady Gaga, I think when here music first started coming out I was going through my anti-pop music phase so I dismissed a lot of her songs as irritating and generic to pop music, I think all the fashion controversy put me off in the beginning too but I ended up liking a couple of her songs and would constantly find pop punk or rock covers of Gaga songs, and the way her songwriting can translate across so many genres and you feel like it was meant to be written in that style, that's when I realised okay this artist is so talented in her writing heart.gif

Charli xcx idek sometimes I just can't face listening to her songs but I would consider myself a fan, I think seeing her live really helped me get into her music more.

Lorde, I'm aware I'm basically just listing Lotti's favourite artists here but this is what happens when you're forced to listen to them so she can claim to have made you a stan wink.gif it took me so long to listen to her album but when I finally did *.* Glory and Gore >>>

Panic! At The Disco, I'd only heard a few of their most known songs before 2013 but they/he (I still feel conflicted) seemed to make the kind of music that's right up my street so I was determined to give a full album a listen and it made sense to me to start with Too Weird To Live, To Rare To Die since it was their latest at the time, took me a while to get properly invested in it but I do love it and have since listened to a few of their other albums happy.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Jan 26 2016, 09:29 AM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 26 2016, 11:43 AM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Iggy Azalea - Didn't like Bounce or the follow up (forgot the name) Change Your Life was meh ok but THEN Fancy came along and I was hooked music.gif her following singles have all been very good but still don't like her pre-Fancy singles.

Ellie Goulding can be one as well as I didn't really like her voice apart from a couple of songs she features in years ago. I grew to like it as her popularity increased biggrin.gif

Can't think of any more right now.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jan 26 2016, 04:08 PM
Post #7
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

my impakt to Lindsey is so real

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jan 26 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Hellogoodbye - 'Here (In Your Arms)' was the first one that came into my head! I found it annoying for a few years but now it is in my top 10 of all-time! Not quite sure what I was thinking there.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jan 26 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

It's happened to me loads over the years, most notably when I first heard 'Pokerface' and said 'Just Dance' would obviously be a one hit wonder. Pokerface is in every way better than 'Just Dance'. Another big one happened with Gaga with 'Judas', which I thought was very grating and just plain awful upon my first few listens, but it eventually became one of my favourite Gaga songs.

Most recently it happened to me with Justin Bieber's 'Love Yourself' which sounded too boring and singer-songwritery to me at first (which I generally tend to dislike) but it really grew on me in the end and I like it almost as much as Sorry.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 26 2016, 04:20 PM
Post #10
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 26 2016, 04:10 PM) *
Hellogoodbye - 'Here (In Your Arms)' was the first one that came into my head! I found it annoying for a few years but now it is in my top 10 of all-time! Not quite sure what I was thinking there.

Me too. I didn't like it for a while but now I love it.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jan 26 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #11
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Joe. @ Jan 26 2016, 04:18 PM) *
Most recently it happened to me with Justin Bieber's 'Love Yourself' which sounded too boring and singer-songwritery to me at first (which I generally tend to dislike) but it really grew on me in the end and I like it almost as much as Sorry.

OH Bieber has been a huge example of this! I didn't get 'What Do You Mean?' for a couple of months and now love it. Also with 'Sorry' it took a while for it to click with me but due to repeated plays at Uni/music channels I'm quite liking that one too. G'won Biebs~

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jan 26 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #12
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Taylor Swift: I remember hearing "Our Song" when the music video was showed on TV and thought it was okay. Had the same sentiments with "Teardrops On My Guitar". Then I heard "Picture To Burn" and it was easily one of the best country songs of the decade. Never got tired of her after that.

Conor Maynard - "Can't Say No": I was at the Philippines when this started playing and I thought "Who is this kid?" It sounded like everything from 2005 that I really liked, but I ended up forgetting about it and didn't give it another chance until "Vegas Girl" and "Turn Around" hit me hard. Both of those challenged for my favorite song of the year, and when you're up against... well, "What Makes You Beautiful", that's something. Speaking of which:
QUOTE(Mattias @ Jan 25 2016, 05:12 PM) *
What artists/songs have you had a turnaround for?

I think my most recent example would be "Lush Life" which I thought was okay at first but then grew to be this anthem that I really liked.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jan 26 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #13
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I'm not sure if Taylor Swift is an example for me as well or not actually. Trying to think how long I've loved Love Story, maybe since I first heard it or not! No matter, when I heard WANEGBT for the first time I wasn't expecting it so be such an amazing track which she's never reached such a high standard for me before music.gif wub.gif

This post has been edited by FreezeTimeAdam❄️: Jan 26 2016, 04:47 PM

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 26 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #14
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Marina & The Diamonds and Little Mix

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 26 2016, 08:10 PM
Post #15
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Recently-

All My Friends - the rap irritated me at first and I just thought it was boring but now I really love it and it's had a decent chart run in my chart
Fast Car - I heard it about a month ago when I was looking at the Australian Kworb and hated it, but now I love it (as you can see if you look at my profile)
Sorry - when I first heard it I thought it was too generic but it's grown on me since and although I'm going off it a bit it's still a tune
Lush Life - on first listen it was crap but the next day I listened to it again and loved it
Sugar - must have heard it in the summer but my friend suggested it to me in September and I didn't like it but now I do - really good.
In2 - at first it really got on my nerves but now it's one of the best songs from q4 of 2015 for me
Broken Arrows - heard it a few months ago when Avicii was spamming audios on YouTube and didn't like it but I really like it now - such a great tune

+Quote Post
Dircandydircane
post Jan 27 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

Arcade Fire, Kanye West & Silversun Pickups are some of my favourite artists around, but back around 2007 I thought they were a bit boring, ok at best & loathsome respectively. There's also a lot of pop that I hated as a teenager because I was like that, but now quite happy to hear from, eg Rihanna, Kesha, Lady Gaga etc.

+Quote Post
*Callum
post Jan 27 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #17
C A L
Member No.: 20,799

Coldplay It's not that I disliked them at any point, it's just that I was only ever a fan of their huge singles eg Fix You, Paradise, A Sky Full of Stars etc but as of late last year my interest in music increased hugely and I began to listen to more artists and it just so happened that Coldplay were releasing A Head Full of Dreams and I've literally been obsessed with them ever since, I now own nearly their entire discography and think they're just fantastic - I really do hope that this isn't actually their last *ever* album.

Björk I've always thought she was talented and innovative, I could just never stomach her music - it's definitely an acquired taste for sure. I just used to think that their was no melody or structure to her music and that it consisted of some half-assed vocals strung out over an erratic series of noises. Now, after resisting Vulnicura I can fully say that I am Björk fan, I don't know what it is, but somehow since early last year when this album was released I have learned to appreciate her talent and the beauty and depth of her music.

David Bowie Since his passing I have become increasingly intrigued by not only his artistry but he himself and I know it shouldn't have taken until his death for me to pay his music much attention but it's just one of those things. Around three weeks ago I probably could've named you no more than four Bowie songs - now I own 11 of his albums and can say that he was such a brilliant man and that Blackstar will be one of the best albums of the year for me.

Little Mix It takes a lot for me to relly dislike an artist but there was just something about these girls that I just couldn't get on board with, they just seemed too manufactured and like girly-bubblegum wannabe kids group. I loved Turn Your Face from their first era and Move from their second - probably because they both showed maturity - but I never enjoyed any of their other material. Black Magic isn't the most groundbreaking song of all-time, however it was undeniably catchy and a throwback to 80's pop and therefore I loved it, and as for Get Weird, it's vastly more mature than their old material and I can really see myself becoming a fan of theirs should they continue along this road they're currently heading down.

Nicki Minaj Perhaps the weirdest artist to see in this list is Nicki Minaj. She rose to mainstream prominence when I was about 12, and at that age I was only really into mainstream pop songs (as you are at that age) and I remember a VEVO banner for Right Thru Me appearing under a Rihanna video I was watching and I clicked on it not knowing what to expect; I think it's fair to say that I did not enjoy the song at all. It was the release of Check It Out with Cheryl and will.i.am that really got me into Nicki, I became sort've obsessed with her aesthetic and the fact that she was a female rapper - something I wasn't accustomed to - so I began to listen to her stuff and songs like Your Love and Super Bass in particular resonated with me. Five years later and she is without a doubt one of my favourite artist ever.

These are all artists that I never appreciated when they debuted as I was young and only loved The Saturdays and Flo Rida but have learned to love as I've matured and found what music I enjoy:
Marina And the Diamonds
Florence + the Machine
The Beatles
Demi Lovato (I never liked her because I only viewed her as a Disney singer)

And then there's artists like Adele and Justin Bieber who I started paying more attention to once they reached superstardom.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 10:29 PM