BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Straw poll : Multiculturalism
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Effect of multiculturalism on the UK
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
vidsanta
post Jan 26 2016, 11:04 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

What effect do you think it has had on the UK?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 26 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I think you'll need to define what you mean by "multiculturalism" (beyond the obvious) before one can make a decision.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jan 26 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #3
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

With regards to the second question, if a group of Romanian men moved in next to you, would you be concerned?

+Quote Post
Harve
post Jan 26 2016, 05:29 PM
Post #4
when I notice the world is falling apart I will run a bath
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

'the problem with this country is that you can't hate foreigners without the PC brigade and the loony left calling you racist'

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 26 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #5
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I think the second question is very hard to answer because it depends how its brought up. If is brought up in a way like: "all these foreigners not speaking english they should learn english why are there signs in polish i don't want to read polish in the supermarket if you want to speak polish go back to poland" etc etc etc then yes it would be racist because that's clearly the intentions of the person bringing up the subject.

But if it's an intellectual debate on the merits of multiculturalism and you start talking about the loss of a unified british identity in terms of cuisine or culture because of the influences of migration then I don't think it's racist.

It's very subjective.

I do think it's been beneficial to our society and I think that when migrants are well integrated into a community that it prospers. We cannot sustain ourselves without migration so the multicultural discussions we should be having aren't the racist 'close the borders, none of them islam fellows, white australia policy' type but more about how have we failed to completely integrate people and how has what it means to be british not adapted and how can we do better in the future to create a more inclusive and welcoming society.

For the most part I think that we are very welcoming and inclusive but we could certainly be doing more and doing better.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jan 26 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #6
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

The integration thing is the most important thing about successful multiculturalism. How can you expect people to integrate when so many British people are shy, suspicious of new people and seemingly intent on putting all their problems on you? We tend to have a bad, cynical attitude in general and that's not good.

I mean, the second question is a bit suspect, are you afraid of being called racist? You shouldn't even have to worry about that if you're raising it in the right way (as with what Silas said, in the form of an intellectual discussion). And I don't think being called a racist is more hurtful than what you're saying if that is how the other party feels.

I think it's had a great benefit for Britain really, it's given a good balance to our society, the British culture will be what it will be, all cultures move with the times to be the collective experiences of everyone in Britain, and while I wouldn't say it was any better or worse, it's a lot more colourful with people from all different backgrounds.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jan 26 2016, 06:26 PM
Post #7
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I actually gave the third option on the second question because I wasn't sure what it was asking. I said beneficial for the first.

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Jan 28 2016, 06:30 AM
Post #8
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Jan 26 2016, 05:46 PM) *
The integration thing is the most important thing about successful multiculturalism. How can you expect people to integrate when so many British people are shy, suspicious of new people and seemingly intent on putting all their problems on you? We tend to have a bad, cynical attitude in general and that's not good.

Bit of a Catch 22 situation though - as a perceived lack of willingness to integrate itself generates suspicion.

As for PC lefties shouting 'racism' to try and close down debate, that only makes the situation worse, as discussion over legitimate concerns like crime, resources, and welfare are also swept under the carpet.

Problems aren't solved by pretending they don't exist.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 11:27 PM