BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Privacy
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
jakewild
post Feb 1 2016, 02:26 AM
Post #1
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

How do you feel about sharing things in person / online? Are you quite private or do you let anyone know your business?

Just been thinking about it cos I'll (over)share pretty much anything with my friends / people I meet on nights out / in discussions on here but then I don't have Facebook and my instagrams private so that people can't see my business and so I don't quite understand my own logic lol

Wbu?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 1 2016, 05:39 AM
Post #2
🙄
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 10,643

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Feb 1 2016, 02:26 AM) *
How do you feel about sharing things in person / online? Are you quite private or do you let anyone know your business?

Just been thinking about it cos I'll (over)share pretty much anything with my friends / people I meet on nights out / in discussions on here but then I don't have Facebook and my instagrams private so that people can't see my business and so I don't quite understand my own logic lol

Wbu?

When it comes to online, I have my twitter public but only add / accept certain individuals on my facebook / Instagram, I'm very weird when it comes to having certain members / individuals on my facebook. I don't like the thought of people going through all my photographs unless I feel very comfortable with them. There's only a certain amount of members who I would have on my twitter, Instagram & Facebook.

I've also only shared my mobile number with three members but became public due to what's app chats!

+Quote Post
mdh
post Feb 1 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #3
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I'm quite open in public but on here I don't think anyone even knows my real name heehee.gif I'm sure that'll change soon...

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Feb 1 2016, 09:01 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I think I'm more open on forums than in real life. It's a good outlet and sometimes a forum can be a bit more stimulating than talking in real life, but that may also be down to the fact that I'm probably better at writing out my thoughts and experiences than openly speaking about them verbally in real life. I think in real life most people don't know shit about me, although obviously I've shared stuff with friends. I remember even when I was at school, at parent-teacher conferences, the teacher would tell my mum "Mattias is a very private person" heehee.gif

As for Facebook/Twitter/Instagram etc, I very rarely post a status update on Facebook, I'm quite shy doing that there tbh. I'm a bit more likely to tweet something occasionally and I love Instagram although sometimes I'm unsure whether or not to share a certain picture or whatever, thinking people won't "get" it and I do care a little about what people think, I have to admit, although I try not to let that limit me too much, it's just something that I'm just a tad aware of.

In general I don't have a problem with sharing my name, face or voice here or other places, I'm pretty relaxed about that but I did make the YouTube videos of myself private (well actually, I think I deleted them off the site altogether, but still have them on the laptop) because I just felt uncomfortable and I just can't watch them back myself cos I find them so awkward to watch lmao.

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Feb 1 2016, 09:03 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I have 2 twitter accounts,one for family and friends which is put on private and one for the rest where my family don't know about. My Facebook is pretty private too, i don't add any of my students on there which some of my colleagues do.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Feb 1 2016, 09:40 AM
Post #6
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

I treat the internet as the public domain. Anything I type or post could be seen by anyone and I should be comfortable with that.

If baffles me that some people think that their Facebook page is a safe place to divulge certain things - be it about their boss, their family, political organisations, etc, - that they wouldn't be comfortable defending if those people confronted them about it.

It's the internet - don't share something if you want to keep it secret.

Unless you create anonymous accounts - but still, you need to make sure what you post doesn't identify you.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Feb 1 2016, 10:14 AM
Post #7
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I have my Twitter and Instagram public, but have my Facebook set to private. In terms of sharing online, I don't really share that much about my personal life. I mean I will say what music and tv shows I like and things but I don't feel very comfortable with explaining any problems or issues that have been occurring recently with people on the internet. I guess in some ways it is because I don't know if they actually care? laugh.gif

In terms of chatting about a load of rubbish, yes I love talking to people I meet online!

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 1 2016, 10:27 AM
Post #8
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Sometimes I can be too revealing of my information and other times I'm not laugh.gif I guess I'm more comfortable with some than others.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Feb 1 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #9
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I'm quite private when talking to people in person but if they asked me a personal question then I would answer it, so I don't really have any 'secrets' etc I just don't bring something private up as a conversation starter laugh.gif

Online however my brain doesn't seem to have much of a filter between what's an appropriate amount to share and what's too much, it's easy for me to tie threads etc into personal experiences, and even talking to people over Facebook, I'm much more likely to have a really deep conversation with them that way rather than face to face tongue.gif

Info wise I probably share too much, that's just on here though but it occurred to me recently that I am probably quite easy to find in person just going off some of the stuff I've said on here unsure.gif I don't really post on Facebook, I don't post as much as I used to on Twitter, in 2013 I'd post any little thought that came into my head basically and it all comes up on my timehop and it's just awful cry.gif

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 1 2016, 11:57 AM
Post #10
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Colm @ Feb 1 2016, 09:40 AM) *
I treat the internet as the public domain. Anything I type or post could be seen by anyone and I should be comfortable with that.

If baffles me that some people think that their Facebook page is a safe place to divulge certain things - be it about their boss, their family, political organisations, etc, - that they wouldn't be comfortable defending if those people confronted them about it.

It's the internet - don't share something if you want to keep it secret.

Unless you create anonymous accounts - but still, you need to make sure what you post doesn't identify you.

aha yeh I've recently been doing a cull of all my old social media accounts for when a boss looks me up. The only online accounts you can find baring my actual name are my old Flickr which is fine cos its got my art on, last.fm (which I kinda like having to look back at) and tumblr which I'm gonna change the username of right now. Also Twitter but have no tweets and been trying to delete the account for years with no success.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Feb 1 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ℒ𝓲𝓷⻤ @ Feb 1 2016, 11:40 AM) *
Online however my brain doesn't seem to have much of a filter between what's an appropriate amount to share and what's too much, it's easy for me to tie threads etc into personal experiences, and even talking to people over Facebook, I'm much more likely to have a really deep conversation with them that way rather than face to face tongue.gif

Yeah this is always really tricky! Every once in a while I run into some situation where it's like, I want to say something, but I just don't know if it's "allowed". Personally I rarely mind people talking about whatever it is they want to talk about, I'm very open that way (as long as it's not something REALLY out there that can just cause a big mess), so my mind tends to think "okay, well, if I wouldn't mind someone saying this to me, then why should anybody else mind me saying it to them?" if you know what I mean. But sometimes I have to stop myself and think realistically: well, some people are more judgmental and less open-minded so you probably do have to have a limit just to retain some sense of harmony.

(really interesting thread!)

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Feb 1 2016, 01:10 PM
Post #12
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Feb 1 2016, 02:57 PM) *
aha yeh I've recently been doing a cull of all my old social media accounts for when a boss looks me up. The only online accounts you can find baring my actual name are my old Flickr which is fine cos its got my art on, last.fm (which I kinda like having to look back at) and tumblr which I'm gonna change the username of right now. Also Twitter but have no tweets and been trying to delete the account for years with no success.

my boss has added me on facebook but i was in two minds about adding him. that was before it became known he's gay as well. oops

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 1 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #13
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I'm fairly open on here because even if it could get traced back to me (and it probably could), it's less likely to happen unless someone's really quite dedicated to looking me up, just by searching my name you wouldn't find this place. And honestly, I can't think of anything on here that I would hate someone to find, I'm fairly open but I'm never stupid about what I post, I don't think there's anything on this site that would harm me.

This is actually probably the case with most of my accounts, but with Facebook, Twitter, I'm not using those a lot lately but I don't think it's over privacy concerns, I just can't be bothered to be putting my name out in public. Especially on Facebook, it's too easy to feel like you're getting judged by other people. I never feel like that here.

And I don't even share that much honestly. I've never been one to share every thought that comes to mind, even on here, where I am the most open, there's plenty of thoughts running through my brain you'll never get to see. Unless I do turn on full essay mode.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 1 2016, 02:07 PM
Post #14
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Feb 1 2016, 01:58 PM) *
I'm fairly open on here because even if it could get traced back to me (and it probably could), it's less likely to happen unless someone's really quite dedicated to looking me up, just by searching my name you wouldn't find this place. And honestly, I can't think of anything on here that I would hate someone to find, I'm fairly open but I'm never stupid about what I post, I don't think there's anything on this site that would harm me.

This is actually probably the case with most of my accounts, but with Facebook, Twitter, I'm not using those a lot lately but I don't think it's over privacy concerns, I just can't be bothered to be putting my name out in public. Especially on Facebook, it's too easy to feel like you're getting judged by other people. I never feel like that here.

And I don't even share that much honestly. I've never been one to share every thought that comes to mind, even on here, where I am the most open, there's plenty of thoughts running through my brain you'll never get to see. Unless I do turn on full essay mode.

that's the same with me. I rarely posted stuff on Facebook anyway but there was just something about people being able to search for and add me that I got really weird about. Obviously you can just not add them back but I'd have to to save face when I see them in public so it's easier just not having it.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 1 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #15
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

I'd love to know what a potential date has ever found out about me during the stalking stage..

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 1 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #16
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Feb 1 2016, 02:07 PM) *
that's the same with me. I rarely posted stuff on Facebook anyway but there was just something about people being able to search for and add me that I got really weird about. Obviously you can just not add them back but I'd have to to save face when I see them in public so it's easier just not having it.

Yeah like, I always feel on Facebook that if I post something, someone will mention it in real life. I barely even add people I hang out with much more than my Facebook friends anymore.

And, without putting too fine a point on it, most of the people who react to anything I'd post there are parents and relatives and parents' friends and basically I haven't cleaned my friends list enough to have only my generation on there - who tend to use the whole thing much less anyway. It just feels too open and "uncool" an internet space to be myself because of that.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 1 2016, 05:52 PM
Post #17
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

Trusting people on here >>> Trusting people in real life

Although, I only really trust like five people in general, two from this website ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 1 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #18
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I'm pretty such an open book with most things, whether it be online or in person. However online I'm much more likely to actually talk about my hopes/fears etc whereas in person it's not something I really bring up unless in conversation. I'm really similar to Lindsey in that I'm completely open, I don't really have "secrets" or anything damning about me, but there are quite a few things people don't know as they haven't asked! kink.gif

I wish 13/14 year old me was more cautious about what she put on the internet. I look back at old deleted videos, my old facebook, my old tumblr and just think to myself WHY. Every now and then I try to do a purge of embarrassing photo's etc! laugh.gif Nowadays I'm a lot more reserved about what I post publicly on twitter, facebook, instagram. To be honest, I probably post the most updates on instagram, and that's still only 3 or 4 a month maybe?? I just don't really find I have that much I want to say/show to the people who I have on those outlets, to be honest especially since snapchat I post most "updates" so to speak on there, and I can be comforted by the fact it'll be gone in 24 hours! To be honest if something happens in my life, I'd be more likely to speak about it on here first now, than to post a status on FB (only example I can think of is when I passed my driving test, I posted about it on the monthly thread but didn't mention it on facebook/snapchat etc). There is definitely a better sense of community and caring here, than posting a status on FB imo. Sorry for the slightly cringy post ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 1 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #19
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I have the height of privacy online. Obviously with my vocation, all social media sites are set to the highest privacy settings. I'd post a lot on Facebook when I was a teenager/at uni but these days I only do it if I have big news or something humorous to say.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 1 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #20
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I'd say I'm rather open on the Internet in terms of having non-private social media accounts that I actively use. As someone who wants to be a journalist I guess I need to be out there anyway. I love photos for memories so I use Instagram/FB for that and just post random thoughts on Twitter. My life isn't quite interesting enough for regular FB statuses though. laugh.gif I don't think I overshare or anything (a la Lotti pls remove my 12 year old self from the Internet as I very much did in the past), I'm a private person when it comes to private stuff.

I'd say I'm a lot more private IRL but that's because I genuinely find it a LOT easier to open up online. Hence why this place is such a good platform for that kinda stuff. But ye I do love social media and forums and don't exactly have anything to hide so it's all just a bit of fun at the end of the day!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 04:15 AM