BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> React World, UPDATE: React World scrapped :D
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 1 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #1
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

What are people's thoughts on this?

Popular Youtubers TheFineBros, known for their React series have just revealed recently React World which has recieved quite a bit of controversy on Youtube:

"This is not only a huge step for our company, but for the entire global media industry."

Thus begins the ill-fated introduction video to Fine Bros Entertainment's new React World initiative, a program for licensing out their company's reaction video format and related brands. It's grand talk that has met with an unexpectedly massive reaction, as other YouTube creators and many existing fans have interpreted the move as a cynical money-grabbing tactic. Reaction videos have been around since before brothers Benny and Rafi Fine started doing theirs, and the format is generally deemed too generic to require licensing of any sort. More importantly, though, the way that they pitched their new idea was evasive in its language and message.

The backlash to the Fine Bros' efforts has been swift and unforgiving. Their announcement video currently has nearly 240,000 thumbs down off 1.95 million views, and a subsequent video that tries to explain and clarify their intent has been slammed with 230,000 dislikes off 2.46 million views. Their unapologetic follow-up seems to indicate that the brothers believe it was simply a matter of "confusion" and poor communication, and there is some validity to their thinking. Many of the angriest reactions are conflating copyright with trademark law, and while it's true that the Fine Bros are pursuing a trademark for "React" and other titles in their series, that doesn't mean that they'll own the entire genre — which, indeed, they claim not to want to do.

The distinction between the different forms of intellectual property is not trivial. Copyright is automatically vested in the producer of any creative work — whether it be a painting, a sculpture, or a piece of writing — and requires enforcement only where a breach has been identified. Trademarks, on the other hand, have to be registered and actively enforced. Patents don't have any place in the Fine Bros conversation, though they've been mentioned in the noise of rebuttals. A patent is a right over the particular process for creating something, and it's the thing that would be most threatening to other creators doing their own reaction videos along similar lines to those already used by Fine Bros. But there have been no patent applications, probably because of the low likelihood of one ever being granted.

At this point, the tide of public opinion has turned dramatically against the Fine Bros, who have been haemorrhaging subscribers and fans ever since. They have also, ironically, sparked an entire sub-class of reaction videos by other YouTubers incensed by their new venture. As one of the better examples, from an animated fish named Merlin, puts it, the response to React World has been so disdainful because "everything from your actions to your terminology is 100 percent cold Hollywood corporation. You are not different just because you say 'community' a bunch and wear plaid shirts."

This post has been edited by Jaspine Thompson: Feb 2 2016, 04:13 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 1 2016, 05:06 PM
Post #2
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

good on them...? like theyre not claiming to own the rights to the idea of react videos they're just trying to control their shows layout which apprantly is being copied completely scene for scene in similarity by some people which is shitty. just because they're on YouTube doesn't mean it's still not a business and people need to realise that. at first when I'd see these youtubers releasing books and ranges I was a a bit uhhhh but if I was them I'd be jumping on my 15 minutes too for as much ££ as poss and trying to sustain a brand which is exactly what they're doing with the react thing.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 1 2016, 05:13 PM
Post #3

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/43...rk_lets/czh3w9f

This post has been edited by Jaspine Thompson: Feb 1 2016, 05:14 PM

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 1 2016, 05:35 PM
Post #4
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Eh, I guess what I've been reading is that it's worrying that they approached this so loosely. Absolutely fine for them to go after people who are creating content in their exact format (and get that content created through them legitimately), but it seems like they've gone after the very concept of a 'react' video which is far too wide a thing to be trademarked. Taking it wide enough, you could claim that nearly any piece of common video content is a reaction, whether it's actually a review, a first impressions look, following up on a recommendation.

And well, the more the internet gets under the control of corporate shills like these guys, the worse off independent creators will be, if people with money can just go lawyer up because they feel like it (which is essentially what all that evasive wording is about, the license to do what they want). Their format is one of the most boring, stilted, planned ways to do a reaction I've ever seen. If we must see videos of people reacting to things, it either needs to be spontaneous, or it should be in the remit of other entertainers to be able to have themselves react to things.

If they legitimately just want to stop people copying their format without running it by them first, then I have no problem with that, they can keep the format well away from me and everyone will be happy (even if it's hardly original content in the first place, they just happen to be the well-funded lot who got it big). If it's an insidious corporate power grab hidden behind jargon, a distinct possibility, then I really do understand the reaction.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 1 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Them trying to take down that Ellen video is pretty much proof that their "Update." video is a load of bull.

This is apparently copying their "format" rolleyes.gif

https://twitter.com/thefinebros/status/513061415016341504

Waiting for their TheFineBros React to Losing Thousands of Subscribers video kink.gif

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 1 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #6
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

I finally have a context to that random show Cody is always mentioning. Yay!

I'm not an expert on all this intellectual property law and copyright stuff but it does seem a bit rich of them to try and control this format when the whole conceit of this show isn't even original in the first place. What even WAS YouTube at a certain point in the late 2000s aside from reaction videos to THAT VIDEO. I guess all of this is part of the reason that I don't really watch YouTube any more because so much of it has just become clickbaity, contrived 'trying really hard to go viral' inanity rather than actual enjoyable content (save for a few people here and there).

God forbid these two ever watch 'Gogglebox'.

+Quote Post
santa's sack
post Feb 1 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #7
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

They don't deserve all this hate though :/

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 1 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(mdh @ Feb 1 2016, 05:53 PM) *
They don't deserve all this hate though :/

They do tbf. I love channels that react to things such as Pyrocynical, h3h3productions and LeafyIsHere and I really don't want these guys to be shut down by them even though their format is completely different to TFB's.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 1 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #9
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(LexDANCE @ Feb 1 2016, 05:44 PM) *
I guess all of this is part of the reason that I don't really watch YouTube any more because so much of it has just become clickbaity, contrived 'trying really hard to go viral' inanity rather than actual enjoyable content (save for a few people here and there).

Oh yes. There are so many channels that have gotten big, gone on for way too long without being able to justify that, and are just utterly awful. Not all of them, but mostly when a Youtube channel starts to have the production values and investment of a small TV show, they become desperate to justify having that money and quality goes right out the window in the name of getting views.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 1 2016, 06:03 PM
Post #10
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I think this is a really interesting debate, and I can see both sides of the argument here. I'm not really too sure where I stand as of yet, but without knowing the full details or going into too much detail I think they should be able to protect their own franchise, but not go overboard with that. Them calling out Ellen for that segment, for example, seems ridiculous to me.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Feb 1 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I can understand what they're doing, for the most part, they are a business, I just think it feels a bit dominant and tough to moderate as...most videos on Youtube are reactionary in some state or form? Like the Ellen thing being taken down is ridiculous as it's not really the same format at all, people should still be able to upload reactionary videos without fear of being taken to court for it or have to collaborate with them.

(Plus not to mention the less mainstream reaction videos are always the better ones, like Iz said, the general 'So and So React' videos are so dull :/)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Feb 1 2016, 06:27 PM

+Quote Post
Hollyver
post Feb 1 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #12
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

A live subscription counter of both their channels.

I'll still watch their videos because it personally doesn't affect me in any way, but I understand why people are angry.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 1 2016, 06:54 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Oliver @ Feb 1 2016, 06:50 PM) *
I'll still watch their videos because it personally doesn't affect me in any way, but I understand why people are angry.[/font]

So will I heehee.gif although when I do watch these guys it's the reactions to something that I may have reacted to in a way that makes me interested in seeing how others react, or I use it to see what viral oddities are going around and end up watching people react to it before watching the original video laugh.gif

But yeah the format they use is bog standard to me. At least people like h3h3 and Pyrocynical actually make it funny and add jokes in to make it more interesting.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 1 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #14
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Oliver @ Feb 1 2016, 06:50 PM) *

A live subscription counter of both their channels.

I'll still watch their videos because it personally doesn't affect me in any way, but I understand why people are angry.

lol I do find his quite compelling tho

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 1 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #15
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I hate YouTubers in general.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Feb 1 2016, 11:10 PM
Post #16
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Feb 1 2016, 08:06 PM) *
good on them...? like theyre not claiming to own the rights to the idea of react videos they're just trying to control their shows layout which apprantly is being copied completely scene for scene in similarity by some people which is shitty. just because they're on YouTube doesn't mean it's still not a business and people need to realise that. at first when I'd see these youtubers releasing books and ranges I was a a bit uhhhh but if I was them I'd be jumping on my 15 minutes too for as much ££ as poss and trying to sustain a brand which is exactly what they're doing with the react thing.

actually they tried to terminate some channels which hardly have their format at all. it's beyond ridiculous.

the thing is they don't really create any content. it'd be fine if they actually had any thought process in this, pulled long hours of work, etc. but they merely film people reacting to content. it's lazy and they just want to make dolla expecting others to join their SUPER INNOVATIVE BUSINESS NETWORK which essentially makes them OWNERS of any reaction video uploaded. just because they are the biggest reaction youtube channel out there right now. it's like if pewdiepie suddenly copyrighted all the videogameplay videos out there. f***ing ridiculous. what's with people's urge to monopolise everything?! this isn't Moldova, this won't work hens

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Feb 1 2016, 11:41 PM
Post #17
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

It almost looks like they're trying to protect their format but then just going of it loosely.

It's gonna be sad because people are starting to take it like FBE will be shut down in two months time sad.gif Although IMO I don't understand the purpose of React World? Everyone and their mother has done reactions to videos before.

They're gonna end up being the Andrew Froot of YouTube - all this hate will go away but they'll be so irrelevant no one will notice. sad.gif

I'm just glad the reactors themselves aren't getting a bunch of hate toward this.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 1 2016, 11:53 PM
Post #18

I wonder if the reactors will quit the show altogether?

I'll need to watch their videos again because I'm not sure what the point is either laugh.gif I think whoever signs up to it and does a video in "their format" recieves part of the income?

But yes they can emphasise the thing about only trademarking their "format" as much as they like, but there's so many videos that they have targeted that are nowhere near similar to their format. And their format is hardly unique anyway, all they've done is made the simple idea of reacting to things and made it into a show. There's just nothing special about RW or the series in general. Even without the whole thing about them taking videos down.

The biggest point being Pavel mentioned is that no content is actually being made making this whole thing pointless.

This post has been edited by Jaspine Thompson: Feb 1 2016, 11:54 PM

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Feb 2 2016, 01:15 PM
Post #19
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

https://medium.com/@FineBrothersEnt/a-messa...1777#.hg73lq5i0

A message from The Fine Brothers, basically apologising and going back on everything they've announced recently.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 2 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Klumzee @ Feb 2 2016, 01:15 PM) *
https://medium.com/@FineBrothersEnt/a-messa...1777#.hg73lq5i0

A message from The Fine Brothers, basically apologising and going back on everything they've announced recently.

Excellent news! Glad to see that they seemed to have the best intentions and have realised that their idea was a flop biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 10:13 AM