BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Silly Movies, How can they be so silly?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Feb 2 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

I wanted to open this topic a few months ago. I think that silly movies deserve to have a special place here. "Goodbye to Language" and "Stray Dogs" could be notable movies in this topic. However, my first movie will be "The Forbidden Room". Do you have any suggestions?

"The Forbidden Room" is a Canadian production which aired as part of the “21st International Film Festival of Athens - Opening Nights” over four months ago! Having seen some movies at this festival in recent years, I can say that it is a remarkable film festival, which always attracts many cinema lovers. Every year, it has some titles that have never been released in Greece and for this particular reason, it always catches viewers’ attention. The festival lasts less than two weeks and the program contains a wide variety of options. This year I chose to see two movies, "The Forbidden Room" and "Don’t Look Now", which both belong to the horror category according to the festival brochure. However, that certainly was not true for the first film.
I quote the text from the brochure:
“Fear and terror in the spaces of a submarine trapped on the seabed. A stranger suddenly appears out of nowhere, and members of the crew, helpless to escape, they resort to their darkest instincts. The Canadian creator mixed different genres and themes in a unique cinematic cocktail where co-participate Charlotte Rampling, Mathieu Amalrik, and ours Ariane Labed and Andreas Apergis”.
By reading the text, what we understand is that this is a horror story that unfolds within a submarine. From there onwards the viewer's imagination can be expanded even further, as the text also refers to the stargazer/quirky Canadian author. As for the genres and themes, of course, I do not think that anyone could conclude many things about the film. So, I chose to see this movie, based on the fact that it is a claustrophobic horror film with many variations. However, the summary of the brochure had nothing to do with the content of the movie and I felt duped by the organizers of the festival. "The Forbidden Room" was a strange film that had no consistency in its development and occasionally became very tedious and repetitive. The imagination of the Canadian director, Guy Maddin, was out of control to a worrying level. It had a tragic story and the performances reminded me of more caricatures than professional. Besides, it had frustrating editing and picture was constantly dull and dark. The only positive that I found in "The Forbidden Room" was the great photography and some songs that were heard during the film. However, the overall result was very bad and I wonder how this film found sponsors to fund it. Further mentioning, dozens of viewers left the movie theater, something that I should have done with my friend. Furthermore from the start it seemed that this would be something very incoherent and stupid. Frankly, I wondered to myself how I put up watching this inanity which had a total duration of more than two hours! Masochism at the limits of madness.
Seeing "Goodbye to Language" on the big screen last May, I was convinced that I would not see such a bad film by the end of last year. But I was wrong and "The Forbidden Room" surpasses in vomiting even the eccentric folly of Godard! It was definitely one of the most unacceptable movies I have ever seen in my life and literally cried over the money that I gave this wretched film. Its poster should be a sign that warns viewers outside the cinema and DVD stores. I would recommend it only to those I do not like!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 2 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I enjoyed this weird film a few months ago laugh.gif slow in places but still good:

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Feb 2 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #3
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I watched The Forbidden Room when I was at Berlinale Film Festival last year! *.* Didn't know it had a wide release. It's a bit of a mess and I can definitely see how some would hate it (there was a lot of walkouts in my screening as well!), but I loved it, great cinematography, and I found it really engaging and gripping even if the plot was so all over the place, which was a good thing.

'Silly' often isn't a term I use to describe films, though I s'pose I can throw Melancholia in as it's...all a bit silly isn't it (although maybe 'pretentious, nonsensical shite' might be more appropriate ;o).

Looney Tunes: Back in Action as well, probably the stupidest film I've ever seen (yet still quite enjoyable).

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Feb 2 2016, 11:58 PM

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Feb 2 2016, 11:52 PM
Post #4
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

The new spongebob movie was so silly but it was fun!

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Feb 3 2016, 12:09 AM
Post #5
Together we are more.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,042

'Dinner For Schmucks' is possibly the one that always comes to mind when I want something light-hearted, fun and silly! Great film <3

+Quote Post
richie
post Feb 3 2016, 07:31 AM
Post #6
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

I much prefer Le Diner De Cons, but a great and funny story nevertheless. LDDC is minute for minute the funniest film I've ever seen.

The problem with Dinner for Schmucks is that they actually make it to the dinner!

+Quote Post
mdh
post Feb 3 2016, 07:35 AM
Post #7
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

There was one that seemed normal for an hour and then spiders started taking over the world or something and this man woke up to find his wife was a spider. I think.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Feb 3 2016, 01:58 PM
Post #8
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 2 2016, 11:45 PM) *
I watched The Forbidden Room when I was at Berlinale Film Festival last year! *.* Didn't know it had a wide release. It's a bit of a mess and I can definitely see how some would hate it (there was a lot of walkouts in my screening as well!), but I loved it, great cinematography, and I found it really engaging and gripping even if the plot was so all over the place, which was a good thing.

'Silly' often isn't a term I use to describe films, though I s'pose I can throw Melancholia in as it's...all a bit silly isn't it (although maybe 'pretentious, nonsensical shite' might be more appropriate ;o).

Looney Tunes: Back in Action as well, probably the stupidest film I've ever seen (yet still quite enjoyable).

Honestly one of my favourite movies laugh.gif it's totally dumb but fun too.

+Quote Post
Insomnio
post Jan 10 2017, 10:28 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"The Last Witch Hunter" is a dark fantasy action film that was released in my country over a year ago. Starring Vin - hit mercilessly - Diesel while the rest of cast is made up Elijah - Frodo- Wood and Michael Caine.Yes, the latter is not a joke. Although I like movies that have to do with witches and spells, this did not convince me that it'll be good - just the name of Vin Diesel in the credits - and for this reason I avoided seeing it on the big screen. Indeed, it was a wise choice, because "The Last Witch Hunter" was one of the worst - and most burned- movies of 2015.
The central character of the story is Kaulder, a brave witch hunter who killed the Queen Witch 800 years ago. However, just before she died, she cursed him with an immortality spell, resulting in the fact that he will have to see all his loved ones die throught his immortal life. Today, Kaulder is the only of his kind and he has adapted to modern times while chasing individual witches. However, a secret organization will restore the Queen Witch and Kaulder must save mankind from "Black Darkness". "The Last Witch Hunter" was a pretty disappointing movie. To be honest I had not read the case and I expected to see its plot to evolve centuries ago, something that it confirmed me the opening scene. But once I saw the main character within a plane -the second scene- then I realized what it is supposed to be. "The Last Witch Hunter" had a badly written script, moderate direction and meaningless characters. The technical effects reminiscent of videogame while Vin Diesel spoke like he burned all his brain cells (as usual). Also, his interpretation was mildly unacceptable. It was obvious that this actor did not stick with anything in this story. Additionally, surprising is the fact that Michael Caine took part in this movie. I could not help but wonder which are the real reasons that lead him to participate in "The Last Wich Hunter"? Money, boredom, senile dementia? Honestly, I respect him as an actor, but if he is involved in such productions, he will have a similar treatment. It is assumed that an actor has matured, aged and is professional, can know what role suits him and what does not. And "The Last Witch Hunter" is definitely not a movie that flatters his filmography. On the other hand, I can understand the reason of Elijah Wood, why after "The Lord of the Rings", the proposals of film studios did not rain on him as Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom and so forth. His appearance, although it is very special, does not help him to have a wide range of roles.
"The Last Witch Hunter" is a film that is primarily intended for very young groups. Babies will definitely love it. Although I believe that it will be liked by older people too (the immature ones). The story does not offer you anything and the script is appalling for a movie of its kind. Despite this, the overall revenues were relatively good worldwide -it was saved from the fiasco at the US Box Office- while in my country, it managed to attract over 56,000 spectators. On the other hand, great films struggle to collect more than 20,000 tickets. So, if people like to monstrosities and stupidities, why not have movies like this? I would not recommend it nor on DVD. It is a totally waste of time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 02:33 AM