BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laptop Buying, Help Needed!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Hollyver
post Feb 3 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #1
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Group: Members
Member No.: 15,367

Hi guys!

Wanting to buy a new laptop as I've had mine for about 5 years and I'm struggling with the daily BSoDs I'm having! My price range is approx £650-750 (but could go over that if the laptop seems like good value) and was wondering what the Buzzjack community recommends?

Not TOO bothered about amount of internal hard-drive space as I have a 2TB external HDD that is more than enough for the videos I download. Would prefer something with quality processor/graphic card wise as I may invest in some PC gaming in the future.

Any help would be really appreciated! happy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dancember
post Feb 3 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #2
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I have a MacBook Pro which I've had for the last 3 years and it still works well. It's above your price range though, most of them cost about £900, but I would look into the Apple range and see what's best for you

+Quote Post
Hollyver
post Feb 3 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #3
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Group: Members
Member No.: 15,367

QUOTE(Dan_ @ Feb 3 2016, 07:12 PM) *
I have a MacBook Pro which I've had for the last 3 years and it still works well. It's above your price range though, most of them cost about £900, but I would look into the Apple range and see what's best for you

I should have said, I'm looking at getting one for my birthday so should hopefully have a bit of birthday money to go on top of the £650-750 lol. Did see one for £899 earlier. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Feb 3 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #4
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I can't really comment on the gaming aspect of laptops etc as I don't have the knowledge laugh.gif but I have an HP Pavillion (not sure on the model, I got it two, maybe three years ago and it was new at the time), I'd recommend it tbh, It has beats audio built in so the sound quality is great, the screen display is fantastic and there's a decent amount of storage space, it runs pretty smoothly as well, pretty sure it was around the £400-£500 mark, so a good bit under your budget, but like I said this computer is a few years old, maybe have a look at other HP Pavillion models? happy.gif

Dan makes a good point about macs though, if I was in your position, I probably would hold of a bit longer and save up for one of those but that's mainly because of how much better they are for running design software etc which is something I rely heavily on for college, so that's from a completely personal point of view and what I'd need in a computer, not sure what kind of laptop is best for gaming tbh

+Quote Post
burbe
post Feb 4 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #5
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Oliver @ Feb 3 2016, 07:18 PM) *
I should have said, I'm looking at getting one for my birthday so should hopefully have a bit of birthday money to go on top of the £650-750 lol. Did see one for £899 earlier. laugh.gif

Macs are definitely the way to go. I've had mine for almost three years without an issue and my sisters had the same one for around 6 years and still hasn't needed to replace it. It's definitely worth the extra investment.

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Feb 5 2016, 02:20 AM
Post #6
Merry Christmas <3
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Make sure you've got an in built SSD, they positively affect the general running of your OS, my PC starts up in around 20 seconds (including login) and as soon as I'm at the desktop it's ready to go. I don't really have to put up with any "not-responding" shite and things start up pretty much immediately. I invested in a good desktop build a couple of years ago and so glad I got an SSD for it (along with 2TB 7200 RPM storage, a great graphics card and other good specs). It's a mini desktop so it's sort of portable but not quite laptop portable. I've got an iPad so I use that if I'm away for a short period, if slightly longer and I know there's a screen I can use I take my desktop in a sports bag or something and cushion it with clothes. laugh.gif

Picked up a 27" screen last summer second hand from my cousin (along with a smaller 2nd screen which is very useful) and everything looks amazing. I'd recommend a desktop if you want to game, I put around £700 into mine and I've yet to come across a game that I couldn't run on max graphics (Watchdogs, Shadow Of Mordor, Rome II Total War being among the most demanding examples I own).

But then to be honest anything you buy in your price range will be pretty great, pretty sure you can get some nice gaming laptops for that kind of price. The Apple range is a good shout too - quality laptops - and though I'm not sure how well games run I can only imagine considering their speed they'd do a decent job with it. I considered getting one and would still love to get one some day (years away probably mellow.gif ) as an addition (basically for Logic).

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Feb 5 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #7
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I switched to Mac a few years ago and wouldn't ever go back. I recently swapped my MacBook Pro for a new model with an SSD and it's beyond fast. When I wake it up from sleep the only reason it takes more than 3 seconds to load the desktop is coz I have a password on it.

The only downside to the move to Apple (and I do mean only because it is superior in every way) is that a lot of games don't run on OS X or require you to buy seperate software for OS X. It sucks but I've only really been a sims/sim city gamer so I can cope. You can get Windows to run on a Mac but as far as I understand it's no cheap.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 11:34 PM