BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Oscar Best Picture Rankings- Decade So Far: 2010-2015, What's Your Favourites!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post Feb 9 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
How would you rank the Best Picture nominees of this decade? What's your favourite? What do you hate?

(2009- including this as the best year for Best Picture nominees
A Serious Man
An Education
District 9
Inglorious Basterds
Precious
The Blind Side
The Hurt Locker
Up
Up In The Air)

127 Hours
Black Swan
Inception
The Fighter
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close
Hugo
Midnight In Paris
Moneyball
The Artist
The Descendants
The Help
The Tree Of Life
War Horse

Amour
Argo
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life Of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

12 Years A Slave
American Hustle
Captain Philips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
The Wolf Of Wall Street

American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
Selma
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
The Theory Of Everything
Whiplash

Bridge Of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
Room
Spotlight
The Big Short
The Martian
The Revenant
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Feb 9 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
My opinion!:

(2009- including this as the best year for Best Picture nominees
1. Up
2. The Blind Side
3. Avatar
4. Precious
5. Inglorious bast*rds
6. District 9
7. The Hurt Locker
Not Seen: A Serious Man, An Education, Up In The Air)
The main reason I included 2009 (not just because all 7 of those movies are fantastic) is that I really think this should be how the Oscars are nowadays. 10 nominations, and this has the perfect mixture of Box Office Smahes (Avatar), Box Office Surprise Hits (District 9), Great Reviewed + Box Office Hit (Inglorious bast*rds, The Blind Side), Animation (Up), Underdog (An Education) and enough Oscar-y films to make a perfect ballot!)

1. Toy Story 3
2. The King's Speech
Not Seen: 127 Hours, Black Swan, Inception, The Fighter, The Kids Are All Right, The Social Network, True Grit, Winter's Bone
Oops! Toy Story 3 is my favourite film of all time and I adore The King's Speech so the two I've seen are great! Though I've seen bits of all those movies apart from Fighter/Kids Are All Right/Winter's Bone- the latter which is on my Netflix list of movies to watch

1. The Help
2. Hugo
3. Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close
4. War Horse
Not Seen: Midnight In Paris, Moneyball,The Artist,The Descendants, The Tree Of Life
Easy win, The Help is stunning, see more of my thoughts in the Netflix recommendation thread! I hated Hugo originally but I saw it last year and absolutely adored it, big u-turn for me! Extremely was solid but shouldn't have been nominated for Best Picture and War Horse was pretty bad- doesn't help I had studied it like 5 years in a row by that point so was so bored of it!

1. Les Miserables
2. Silver Linings Playbook
3. Argo
4. Life Of Pi
Not Seen: Amour, Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty
I've seen parts of Zero Dark Thirty but not enough to rank it. Les Miserables/Silver Linings Playbook are 2 of my favourite movies of the past few years so delighted both got BP nominations, Argo was very good and I think I've made my feelings on Life Of Crap clear.

1. Gravity
2. The Wolf Of Wall Street
3. Philomena
4. Her
5. Captain Philips
6. 12 Years A Slave
Not Seen: American Hustle, Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska
Have American Hustle/Dallas on DVD and Nebraska on Netflix list so hopefully I can complete this year for BP nominees soon! Excellent line up and possibly the best this decade. All at least 9/10 movies. Gravity was a stunning and interesting spectacle, Wolf Of Wall Street was incredible, Philomena and Her were beautiful, Captain Philips was thrilling- especially the 1st part of the movie- and 12 Years A Slave was interesting.

1. Boyhood
2. Whiplash
3. The Imitation Game
4. Selma
5. The Grand Budapest Hotel
6. Birdman
7. American Sniper
8. The Theory Of Everything

Seen all of these! Don't think there is a more clear year of all good films but literally wouldn't have nominated any of them. Really any of #3-#7 could be in a different order on another day, all of them are identical in how much I rate them. Theory is solid but wasn't great. Whiplash was great but not sure if I'd nominate it for BP. Boyhood was magnificent and stunning the 1st time I saw it but I found it quite boring on 2nd watch, would still nominate it though.

See the 2015 thread smile.gif

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Feb 9 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #3
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Not seen enough from the other years to make a worthwhile list but here's my lists for 2013/14

01. Her - such a realistic love story from such an odd concept, just excellently executed.
02. Philomena - perfect balance of comedy and drama and such a touching story with some top acting.
03. Gravity - a real visual wonder, just so pretty to look at and the story was good too.
04. 12 Years A Slave - not seen this since release but it really had me shocked at how intense it was, Lupita Nyong'o was FANTASTIC though, gutted she's not been getting more work.
05. American Hustle - I liked this and all the acting was really good but the story lost me at times and it wasn't that interesting really.

Not seen: Captain Philips, Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, The Wolf Of Wall Street (seen half of this, need to get round to finishing it one day)

Given my thoughts on most of these already in my EOY but:
01. Whiplash (SO INTENSE)
02. Birdman
03. The Theory Of Everything
04. American Sniper
05. Selma
06. The Grand Budapest Hotel (I just didn't get this, wasn't very funny and just all felt weird to watch, eh)

Not seen: Boyhood, The Imitation Game

+Quote this post
randomfurlong
post Feb 10 2016, 12:41 PM
Post #4
Group icon
musing
User: 13,969
The Hurt Locker
Precious
Inglorious Basterds
An Education
District 9
Up In The Air
A Serious Man
Up
The Blind Side

I wouldn't agree at all that this is anywhere near a good slate of films - I only actively like the top three - but I do agree that it's a strong range of genres and filmmaking approaches. At least the right film won.

The Fighter
Toy Story 3
The Social Network
127 Hours
Winter's Bone
Black Swan
The Kids Are All Right
Inception
The King's Speech
True Grit

Now THIS is more like it - only the bottom three here would I strike from this list. And again, a strong range of films. Just a shame that the most straightforward and conventional of the films won.

The Artist
Moneyball
The Tree Of Life
War Horse
The Help
Hugo
Midnight In Paris
The Descendants

Another great winner, hurrah! Feels like a less exciting slate somehow, mostly solid films but the mid-range ones here feel particularly ordinary. The Descendants is just absolutely dreadful, though.

Beasts Of The Southern Wild
Amour
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty
Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life Of Pi
Argo

VERY strong line-up, at least the top half. Again, the winner is the worst thing here, but the top of my list has two films that are far from conventional nominees and are still extraordinary feats of filmmaking.

Her
12 Years A Slave
Gravity
Captain Philips
American Hustle
The Wolf Of Wall Street
Philomena
Dallas Buyers Club
Nebraska

Some actively bad films at the bottom, but some all-timers at the top, and one of the most important winners of recent years.

Selma
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Boyhood
Birdman
The Theory Of Everything
Whiplash
American Sniper
The Imitation Game

Feels a bit less inspired than some years, but the top three (again!) are great, and the winner is an intriguing pick.

Mad Max: Fury Road
Brooklyn
Room
Spotlight
The Martian
The Big Short
Bridge Of Spies
The Revenant

The films about women are SO much more interesting than the ones about men. Still, only The Revenant winning would disappoint me - The Big Short is obnoxious but it's also fascinating in terms of presenting a new synthesis of comedic filmmaking approaches.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Feb 10 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Only including the ones I have seen (duh)

(2009

The Blind Side
The Hurt Locker
Up

The Fighter
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Kids Are All Right

Toy Story 3

The Help
Midnight In Paris

Silver Linings Playbook
Les Miserables
Zero Dark Thirty

American Hustle
Her
Dallas Buyers Club (I thought this was a load of bollocks really, I think Matthew and Jard only got the Oscars based on looks over actual acting)

Double Amy Adams *.* slay.

n/a (oops)

The Martian

kink.gif

Looking back, is Amy the only one there with two movies in the same year? I imagine I overlooked someone, but if not, how often does that happen?

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Feb 10 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #6
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
QUOTE(Regina @ Feb 10 2016, 04:42 PM) *
Looking back, is Amy the only one there with two movies in the same year? I imagine I overlooked someone, but if not, how often does that happen?

Not too sure over all the years but Domhnall Gleeson has two movies nominated this year (Brooklyn & The Revenant)! And it really could have been as many as 4 if Star Wars 7/Ex_Machina managed to sneak in in the end!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:09 PM