BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does your Music Taste surprise people?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ML Hammer95
post Feb 12 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,265

Interesting proposition - when people discover what music you like and listen to, are they surprised or do they say "yeah, that suits you".

Today, I was working the morning shift where you can listen to music if you wish. My manager came across me listening to 'Where Ya At?' by Future and Drake and said " Your music taste always surprises me" laugh.gif Asked him why and he said "for someone who's so laid back, I can't imagine you listening to harder music!". Quite often, people laugh that I listen to 'black music' and call me a 'dark horse'. Before accepting and loving it of course.

Interested to hear other people's experiences with this.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 12 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I'd say this use to happen quite a lot! I had a few people in Secondary School tell me that they presumed I'd be into pop music. One time I was listening to Drake - 'Over' and one girl was very shocked that I knew it and was a fan of it. People would probably be surprised these days about the retro favourites that I like I guess!

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 12 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

I've said before in the How has your music taste changed over the years thread. I seem to like songs from most genres but of course I have my favourites (Dance/Electro) and Pop. I even surprise myself when I hear a song and I like it but I know it sounds like the sort of song I don't usually like? I guess 7 Years and Secret Love Song is a good recent example.

+Quote Post
M.
post Feb 12 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not sure what people usually assume me to like... I think someone was recently surprised when I said I like 90s rave music, also I've been asked "is that the radio?" when listening to Carly Rae Jepsen on my iTunes, as maybe an assumption that I wouldn't actually choose to listen to such pop music. My cousin said that if she didn't know me and she was to guess what music I'm into, she'd guess Coldplay, which is true! However, my music taste goes way broader beyond that, Coldplay is just an example of some of the alternative rock stuff I like, but I like so many different things.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Feb 12 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #5
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly, I'm not too sure! Like I didn't really know anyone with the same taste in music as me through school, at least not within my circle of friends, I think some people think that if you're into pop-punk, rock etc that you dress a certain way, especially in high school which I don't really and never have so I guess back then I would have said I don't suit what I listen to but now, being at college, most of my friends listen to similar stuff so I guess they'd expect that I'm into rock music and the likes but outside of college maybe not. I can't even ask you guys if my taste surprised any of you because it's a music forum and the kind of bands I like were probably among the first things you learned about me laugh.gif

I think if you know what I'm into now, you'd be surprised at the kind of artists I stanned for before I came across Paramore, Rihanna, Take That, Mika to name a few kink.gif Pink was my first proper obsession with an artist though and I still consider myself a fan today but she has a lot of rock influences in her sound so I feel like that's not as surprising laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 12 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #6
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Uh, it depends what they catch me listening to. I guess among people who know me well, they know my penchant for hard rock (female-fronted more than the average guy which might surprise some). But I know when people first find about that, they tend to be a bit surprised. Then it's just what I like to them. If I don't say the standard 'I like all genres', that's my default backup. I guess I don't look like I like a certain genre, perhaps particularly not rock/metal, although I do feel I look best in black, I think I'm just going to have to second basically all of Lindsey's post with regards to being a rock/punk/emo fan. People expect someone who looks a bit wild. Or at least that's the common perception.

If, however, people know that about me, then catching me listening to dance or rap or pop would probably be very surprising. I think for most people you associate with them their favourite genre and will be surprised (pleasantly of course) when they like something outside of that narrow band, unless they really don't say much about it. I do that on here all the time.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Feb 12 2016, 10:42 PM
Post #7
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Sometimes, when I'm not my completely generic pop lover 90% of the time and am listening to something quite rocky, or an older song people are always surprised laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Feb 13 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #8
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

i try to make my coworkers appreciate good music (i gave them crystal castles and sophie (L.O.V.E. in particular~)) but they don't seem to like it very much sad.gif they are way too mainstream and it's boring.

so yeah it does

+Quote Post
KWEEN_DEE
post Feb 13 2016, 08:00 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 1,030
   No Gallery Pics

All the time.

People just think cus I idolise Britney... all I'm going to listen to is The Saturdays and pure pop like that... Not taking it in that I also love R&B and Alternative music.

+Quote Post
*Callum
post Feb 13 2016, 11:52 PM
Post #10
C A L
Member No.: 20,799

yes, usually. mainly because it's v broad and i can literally like the most random genres compared to things i listen often.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 06:09 PM