BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are you a feminist?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Are you a feminist?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 56
Guests cannot vote 
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 14 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #1
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I decided to make this thread because I'm curious and also because of a discussion I just had. Simply, are you a feminist?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Feb 14 2016, 01:24 AM
Post #2
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

In other words do I believe in equal rights for women? Yes of course. I hate how there are people out there that have warped feminism into being about hating men and thinking we're superior when that's not the case at all :')

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 14 2016, 01:26 AM
Post #3
feminist icon

For me being a feminist means I believe in equal rights for women, also for men or any gender. I'm hoping some of the people who voted no will explain why, I'm curious to see what other people's personal definitions of feminism are

+Quote Post
LexC
post Feb 14 2016, 01:27 AM
Post #4
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I consider myself a radical intersectional lesbian separatist feminist.

+Quote Post
152chris
post Feb 14 2016, 01:39 AM
Post #5
down with jakewild
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,105
   No Gallery Pics

i honestly dk how anyone in 2016 ISN'T

+Quote Post
152chris
post Feb 14 2016, 01:39 AM
Post #6
down with jakewild
Member No.: 10,105
   No Gallery Pics

like honestly the two nos already in this poll pls enlighten me

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Feb 14 2016, 01:58 AM
Post #7
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(152chris @ Feb 14 2016, 01:39 AM) *
i honestly dk how anyone in 2016 ISN'T

Tbh I put it down to ignorance, people don't want to commit to something they don't fully understand. I suppose it's different to say you aren't a feminist compared to you don't agree with feminism though as people probably see saying you're a feminist is like a hug step and declaration of labeling yourself. I recently was getting a lot of anti-feminism/anti-women in general content coming up on my facebook news feed, it turned out this guy was liking all these posts from really disgusting pages, one post was a diagram of "inside the feminist mind" and it had pretty horrible things included in it with all these negative connotations so there's still a lot of people out there believing feminism is something that it isn't unfortunately sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 14 2016, 02:09 AM
Post #8
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Yes. Any time I see any of that anti-feminist bollocks on social media it really creeps me out that there are people who still believe that women are out to get them and destroy their god-given right to be shit people to the women in their life just because they happened to be born with a penis (or, you know, the Patriarchy).

Feminism to me is the equality of both sexes, it has to be, it's just called feminism because women have been the underrepresented gender in our history. Being gender blind when dealing with people, that sort of thing.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 14 2016, 02:55 AM
Post #9
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(152chris @ Feb 14 2016, 01:39 AM) *
like honestly the two nos already in this poll pls enlighten me

for real!

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 14 2016, 02:56 AM
Post #10
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

like honestly when people trot out that 'i believe in EQUALITY not feminism' line i wonder if they're the sorts of people who say in response to people saying they're in favour of 'animal rights' something like 'um actually that's rly unfair u should b campaigning for ALL SPECIES' RIGHTS'

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Feb 14 2016, 03:17 AM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I believe in equality for both sexes and as far as we've come over the years, I don't believe that has been completely achieved yet on the part of females (and who knows if it ever will?), so yes I definitely am, and it is perfectly acceptable for this concept to be alive and well in 2016. It's not quite as loud and out there and second and third wave feminism, but it's no less important. Modern feminism is actually a really interesting and eye opening subject to study and it's a shame some still view it with such contempt.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 14 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

Yes, it's something I often get frustrated about.

Some people get very confused about the meaning of the word and mistake it for 'man-hating'. Which it's not. 'Man hating' is from a radical 'extreme-feminist' movement, which is a lot more recent, and from those who believe they are better than men. And is a lot rarer. From the dictionary:
Feminism is the belief that women should have the same rights and opportunities as men.

It really is as simple as that. And I think it's really sad when, especially women, reject the word. The feminist movement is responsible for so much of the positive side of history. For example, women being able to vote.

It's obviously not the 19th century anymore, but there still are sexism issues that need to be dealt with, like victim blaming, the fact marital rape is still legal in so many counties and that women are still paid less in pretty much all counties of the world. And I don't buy into the 'I'm a humanist, not a feminist' nonsense, if you're a humanist, by definition, you're a feminist too.

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Feb 14 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #13
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

echoing everything that has been said here. it also pains me very much to see WOMEN being anti-women, how ever ridiculous that might sound. they believe women should have the only purpose which is to be containers for children and stuck at home raising children only, they do not think that there's something wrong with their husbands who FORBID them to go outside or out with friends or NOT be at home when he comes back from work. i always ask these girls/women i know whether they WANT to be stay at home mums or they feel like they are pressured by the society to do it. i have absolutely no problem if they REALLY WANT IT. but the response is usually along the lines of 'because they are nearing 30 and they have to give birth at least once in this life and what else am i for here?!'. when they see women who are professional fighters or anything that's usually the stereotypically MAN stuff to be doing, they cringe. for some there might be an excuse (like one person i know has always been alone having lost her parents very early in life and she just wants to not make any decisions anymore, at least for now, plus she really likes the idea of being a mum) but most of them are so brainwashed and pressured by the society (old white males, surprise surprise) it really hurts.

there're so many contrarians for the sake of it. as far as i know there's even a SERIOUS oprganisation out there called something like 'man's rights organisation'. i despair for these people. they REALLY TRULY believe that if we have equal rights for women, these rights will be taken from men. it's so amusing and sad to read at the same time. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 14 2016, 09:35 AM
Post #14
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, I am. You can't believe in equality for everyone if you claim not to be a feminist.

The people not understanding what feminism is can definitely be quite annoying. But I feel I need to be a role model for those who lack knowledge about it just as I feel the need to discourage my students from racism or homophobia.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 14 2016, 09:49 AM
Post #15
feminist icon

so many of the posts here have echoed the reasons why I believe in feminism, so sorry if this sounds a little repetitive.

Similarly, I hate it when feminism is associated with "man-hating". It boils back down to the argument, the KKK are an extremist part of Christianity but we don't let them represent the whole of Christianity? In general modern day feminists believe in creating equal rights for both genders. Abroad the inequality situation is a lot worse of course with young girls being forced to undergo FGM for example, or being forced into marriage young. It's 2016 and you still see people saying "we don't need feminism blah blah blah" and like I just ??? HOW can people see the injustices going on and just completely stamp all over the feminist movement.

It's not only abroad though, in countries such as the UK and the US inequality still exists. I have actually had to tell people in real life that the wage gap exists, as they didn't believe me!?! I won't delve too far into how sexism is still alive and breathing today as I have previously written a post on it, but what saddens me is there are still people ashamed to say they're a feminist. Around school, I still see the majority of boys I talk to who won't claim they're a feminist, as they don't like being associated with it. It always amuses me, because I ask them basic questions such as "do you believe that you should be paid the same regardless of your gender" etc and the answers always conclude that yES they believe in feminism (bc WHO WOULDN'T IN 2016).

I believe in feminism. I believe in gender equality. For me those two sentences mean the EXACT SAME THING. I'm probably never going to live in a world where gender equality exists but I hope I die fighting for it.

To the people who have voted "no" I'm curious to know why, do you genuinely not believe that women should be treated the same as men, or do you just not understand the meaning of the word feminism?

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Feb 14 2016, 09:54 AM
Post #16
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

one of them is probs alexrange, 2 are trolls and another one is too ignorant to read this thread

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 14 2016, 09:56 AM
Post #17
feminist icon

i'm not really holding out for any intellectual response as to why someone would've voted no. i dare one of them to try

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 14 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Feb 14 2016, 09:56 AM) *
i'm not really holding out for any intellectual response as to why someone would've voted no. i dare one of them to try

I'm hoping that some of the people who vote no, may read the thread and realise that they are indeed a feminist and change their stance. I've had this issue with friends in the past but have been able to fully change their viewpoint upon explaining the actual meaning of feminism.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 14 2016, 10:14 AM
Post #19
feminist icon

QUOTE(Joe. @ Feb 14 2016, 10:10 AM) *
I'm hoping that some of the people who vote no, may read the thread and realise that they are indeed a feminist and change their stance. I've had this issue with friends in the past but have been able to fully change their viewpoint upon explaining the actual meaning of feminism.

I feel like sometimes the simple dictionary definition (which you wrote earlier) is enough to make people simply realise!

+Quote Post
santa's sack
post Feb 14 2016, 10:18 AM
Post #20
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I am, but sometimes the online side of feminism seems to overshadow mens issues (yes they do exist)~

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 12:31 PM