BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Housemates
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jack
post Feb 15 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Members
Member No.: 223

I'm sure everyone has their stories of housemates from hell so please do share.

I'll kick off with my current situation smile.gif. Me and my boyfriend recently moved to Manchester and needed somewhere urgent to live, found a room for 440 per month in a central location including all bills which sounds great right? I thought so too.

I didn't realise that one of my housemates has his family including three children and two older women come round EVERY weekend and some week nights. They scream and cry throughout the night and apparently to my landlord this is perfectly acceptable as everyone is allowed guests round. That and they also are in the iamspamspamami24/7 making us feel very uncomfortable, and do not know how to do the most basic of tasks such as flush a toilet, and not to leave food on the floor smile.gif.

When I kindly approached said housemate about this he said ''IT'S MY HOUSE, I CAN DO WHAT I WANT''. When I approached the landlord, he somewhat sympathised but not really and said there was nothing he could do. Thank god I am only here til June and living with my friend afterwards, I will never EVER do shared accomodation with strangers again after this experience.

I have had horrible experiences in the past too but I think this is one of the worse ones. How about you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 15 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #2
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

My flatmates at uni have been utter twats recently tbh laugh.gif They've been really cliquey (well, 4 of them, the other 2 just keep to themselves) since the start really, I just have nothing in common with those 4 but 3 of them are nice enough. The other is the biggest twat I've met at uni, completely blanks me whenever I see him even if I speak, but I've never been horrible to him or anything... I tend to just avoid him when I can. The others can be ok but recently they all seem to have their girlfriends or friends round all the time, making LOADS of noise, the horrible one especially screams like a toddler and makes so much unnecessary noise. I don't really mind noise, because I am in halls and I understand that i's not a retirement village, but when they're screaming immaturely right outisde my room, making noiise in the early hours when I have a 9am lecture or workshop, it's really tedious. Not only that but the second I have any friends in past say 10pm I invariably get told to "keep it down", only for them to make noise themselves.

Luckily it's only a few months until I leave, then next year I'm living with my best friends at uni. Although I'm falling for one of them and everyone seems to think he's gonna get with another of my friends we're living with, which could be awkward and not great for me but I just need to learn not be all jealous laugh.gif

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Feb 15 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

When i moved into dorms when i was studying i hated having housemates, our hall always smelled and the showers were gross cause no one seemed to bother to clean the shower after using them. I was so disgusted at the shared fridge that i bought my own fridge which i had i my room. After 4 months i moved back to my hometown and got my own house for the same price as my room in the city.
Last year one of my best friends lived with me after he broke up with his girlfriend and it was really great cause he cleaned and did the dishes. So i have mixed experiences but i'm really happy to have a place of my own now.

+Quote Post
RabbitFurCoat
post Feb 15 2016, 07:20 PM
Post #4
You brought the sun to guide you through
Member No.: 118
   No Gallery Pics

The thought of ever living with anyone else again... Urgh

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Feb 15 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #5
I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside.
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

I have had no bad experiences with my roommates and I've had four thus far. (this probably means I'm the awful roommate).

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Feb 15 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I lived with a NIGHTMARE housemate a few years ago (that I spilled about continuously on here (remember those days lol)). He would spend hours in the iamspamspamamimaking disgusting smelling food and leave his shit everywhere. Then there was the big PISS ON THE FLOOR gate and the knocking on my door at 1am fiascoes. Looking back it's quite funny and I do talk of him fondly for all the horrid experiences he put me through.

Now i'm living with my best friend from uni and she's a babe. She does have a few things i'd change (like coming and sitting on my bed to talk when sometimes I just want peace and quiet) and for talking a lot but not always listening but no one's perfect and I do love her to bits.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 15 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #7
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I've not really had any out of the ordinary experiences but the absolute constant MESS that the kitchen got into in first year was beyond disgusting, far beyond the general messiness you would normally experience. Also, I became an expert in grime music in first year even though I never chose to listen to it once.

I've been very happy in my other two years at uni as I've been able to live with who I want to.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Feb 15 2016, 08:24 PM
Post #8
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Right now my "housemates" are my parents and brother, that could all change next year when I go to university though. really hope i get people i can put up with.

+Quote Post
burbe
post Feb 15 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #9
Lusts for Life
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

My first year flat was horrible at uni. Everyone started off nice and friendly, then one of my flatmates turned out to be a massive bitch and was trying to oust me from our friendship group and turning everyone against each other. Then her and my best mate fell out which made things super awkward when we used to hang out in our flat because she wasn't on speaking terms with anyone. We thought another of my flatmates was dead because she never used to leave her room. Then I had one super annoying one who used to follow me everywhere. When I went into the iamspamspamamihe used to run in and rabbit on about his life for hours (not exaggerating). He even used to carry on speaking when I was walking away and shut my room door. The other one who I was actually friends with then fell out with my best mate because she fancied him and he didn't like her back. So things became super awkward there too and he basically left our friendship group.

Second year was much better though apart from the iamspamspamami which is used be disgusting. I lived with a mixture of friends and randoms and everyone seemed to get on well and there weren't many problems.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Feb 15 2016, 09:12 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(Jack @ Feb 15 2016, 06:56 PM) *
I'm sure everyone has their stories of housemates from hell so please do share.

I'll kick off with my current situation smile.gif. Me and my boyfriend recently moved to Manchester and needed somewhere urgent to live, found a room for 440 per month in a central location including all bills which sounds great right? I thought so too.

I didn't realise that one of my housemates has his family including three children and two older women come round EVERY weekend and some week nights. They scream and cry throughout the night and apparently to my landlord this is perfectly acceptable as everyone is allowed guests round. That and they also are in the iamspamspamami24/7 making us feel very uncomfortable, and do not know how to do the most basic of tasks such as flush a toilet, and not to leave food on the floor smile.gif.

When I kindly approached said housemate about this he said ''IT'S MY HOUSE, I CAN DO WHAT I WANT''. When I approached the landlord, he somewhat sympathised but not really and said there was nothing he could do. Thank god I am only here til June and living with my friend afterwards, I will never EVER do shared accomodation with strangers again after this experience.

I have had horrible experiences in the past too but I think this is one of the worse ones. How about you?

I'm moving to Manchester in the next 4-6weeks and you've just stopped me wavering between getting a studio flat and trying to find a flat share arrangement - going to for sure go with the studio in Salford Quays!

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Feb 15 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'm lucky that I got on well with all housemates I lived with at Uni. But that's not to say there weren't issues.

My first and second year housemates (we agreed to stay together for the second year after being placed together in Halls, somewhat rare but I was glad to see it work out) were great, but the mess was an issue. Three of them were fairly LAD-ish and would often leave dishes after eating and there was frequently piles of dishes by the k*tchen sink as high as the Shard, and they were generally quite untidy and because of this, we became one of the worst blocks in our halls in terms of reputation with cleaners, we once received an ultimatum from cleaners that unless we cleaned our k*tchen in a day we'd all be kicked out! So yeah, mess was an issue as was noise at nights, Friday/Saturday nights were times I could barely get any sleep and/or be woken up at 3am when they all came back with their friends and shouted and broke stuff (once I woke up to a HOLE IN THE WALL and a smashed microwave). The landlord hated us and we just were unfairly all blamed when some of us including myself wasn't responsible for any of it. It ended happily between us and that was the end of it really, so a bumpy ride but one that resolved well.

My third year housemates I got on really well with and we were mainly on the same 'wavelength' so to speak as we were on the same course (bar one guy who dropped out oops) so there generally were no noisy nights and mess was controlled. Though two of my housemates were very close and in the middle of the year entered a relationship together, which we thought would be fine (bar occasional banging/groaning coming from their room :eyes:) but there was a period where things got really out of hand when one of them became pregnant. And from that stemmed drama after drama and arguments over what to do next as she wanted to have an abortion and he didn't want her to...eventually she did and he wasn't happy, so it made the atmosphere really awkward and I constantly heard slamming doors and shouting and me and my housemate were just right in the middle of it all and it was super awkward, to which we couldn't really do much as they didn't really wanna speak to us about it. Things THANKFULLY settled down a bit and we were fine by the end of it, well then there was moving dramas when the academic year ended but I was just planning to move home so I wasn't involved in that~

I do actually look back fondly on both experiences, they were not nice but it did make us cooperate and learn to work through it, though I have relished the few years at home free of drama!

(lol lot of k*tchen filters in this thread :'))

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Feb 15 2016, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
Jack
post Feb 15 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Silas @ Feb 15 2016, 09:12 PM) *
I'm moving to Manchester in the next 4-6weeks and you've just stopped me wavering between getting a studio flat and trying to find a flat share arrangement - going to for sure go with the studio in Salford Quays!

I work right in Salford Quays! It's so beautiful, I wish I could live there but the rent is nearly more expensive than City Centre! sad.gif

+Quote Post
Slick
post Feb 15 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #13
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

I've had some very positive experiences on the whole - the negatives have never been anything more than "omg do ur washing up guys."

A friend of mine ended up living with a guy who took drugs and regularly got aggressive and said sexually inappropriate things to her. Moral of the story: it can always be worse.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Feb 15 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise

QUOTE(Jack @ Feb 15 2016, 09:20 PM) *
I work right in Salford Quays! It's so beautiful, I wish I could live there but the rent is nearly more expensive than City Centre! sad.gif

It is so expensive to live anywhere nice! I'm looking in the £500-£600 range and am getting like laughed out of letting agents. Think I've found a studio on Clippers Quay for £550, it's tiny but it's close to the Exchange Quay stop so only a couple of metro stops to where I'll be working.

Any hints on letting agents/area's you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

+Quote Post
all is vanity.
post Feb 15 2016, 11:55 PM
Post #15
I will leave my heart at the door.
Member No.: 1,454

I lived with someone that had a dog that would s* on the floor often. It would make me really angry. This person would take the dog outside to go to the bathroom (when it didn't s* on the floor already rolleyes.gif ) and wouldn't pick the stuff up, so the backyard was full of its waste. Not only that, they kept their room extremely messy (pop cans/bottles everywhere, wrappers, etc.) They rarely bathed...just an overall nasty person and I was extremely happy when they moved out.

This post has been edited by american oxygen.: Feb 16 2016, 12:02 AM

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 16 2016, 08:19 AM
Post #16
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I posted this back in 2014

QUOTE(T Boy @ Oct 3 2014, 05:26 PM) *
My worst experience was between March and August this year. I posted these things one housemate did during Teams and bare in mind this was just 6 weeks after the creep moved in.
1) not locking the front door at night.
2) leaving lights on at night here, there and everywhere
3) turning the dining room table into a nonsensical mess of paper
4) leaving random tea bags on dining room chairs
5) leaving computers, iPads, wallets everywhere. I could technically steal from him
6) watches tv late and loud
7) very heavy footed on the stairs, constantly going up and down and late at night too
8) using my printer cable without asking
9) using my shampoo and other housemates razor blades (our things are no longer left in the bathroom because of this)
10) pissing on the toilet seat and not cleaning it up
11) not flushing the toilet even after a no.2
12) underwear left on the bathroom floor (y-fronts no less)
13) communal hand towels disappear into his room and then reappear a few days later unwashed.
14) dishes are left out and not placed in dishwasher even when he goes away for a weekend
15) he is messy in the iamspamspamamiand never cleans up
16) he randomly goes to sit in his car
17) he is an unsociable f***

Me and the others were living blissfully before he moved in. We would confront him about three things and he was extremely defensive and would deny things when we knew as fact he was responsible. He would constantly stare at you if you were in the same room. He smashed a bathroom mirror I bought just by getting out the shower. He replaced it 2 months later after denying it constantly even though I heard him do it. He once took my clothes out of the washing machine midcycle so he could wash 2 pairs of underwear and a pair of socks. My clothes were soaking wet and I was fuming.

We spoke to our landlord but nothing was done. We all threatened to leave and in the end that's what we did. The three of us now live alone because we don't want to take a chance on sharing again. I don't know if anyone has moved in since then but the house will be in a shocking state since we couldn't keep cleaning it once we'd left. It's hard to imagine it would appeal to anyone.

In an update, my friend moved back in a year ago and the situation had very much deteriorated. Awful housemate had acquired a friend and they were awful together, dropping sloppy food on expensive carpets, turning the greenhouse into a drug den, telling anyone who complained to f*** off, etc. luckily my friend gathered evidence about the drug use for the landlord and coupled with a complaints rom the neighbours, the morons were finally kicked out before the end of March.

And I have grown to loving living alone in my flat. Living alone used to be a fear when I was a teen/early twenties but I think I was always more worried about what others would think of that. I've always enjoyed my own company and I can have some peace or I can invite anyone around when I like. I've just reserved my plot for my very first home so fingers crossed I'll be living in my first house by Christmas this year.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 16 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #17
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Silas @ Feb 15 2016, 09:12 PM) *

these manc meet up members just growin

think almost all my past housemates have been shit. worse was when I rented a ridiculously expensive loft room in London with 2 strangers and the owner of the house lived there too. the strangers were bad enough as it was but then the owner would make us feel like we couldn't actually have a life in there or leave the house past like 10. horrid it was

+Quote Post
Jack
post Feb 16 2016, 08:55 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend

Does anyone know if I can take legal action if there is 5 people in one privately rented bedroom with only one of them paying rent?

My landlord and the housemate isn't willing to do anything and it doesn't seem right to me.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 16 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #19
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jack @ Feb 16 2016, 08:55 PM) *
Does anyone know if I can take legal action if there is 5 people in one privately rented bedroom with only one of them paying rent?

My landlord and the housemate isn't willing to do anything and it doesn't seem right to me.

Do you have/can you obtain a copy of the contract/rental agreement?

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Feb 16 2016, 09:20 PM
Post #20
Surfing in paradise

If you're not the landlord then I don't think you really have grounds to bring a case as you're not the owner of the property. I don't think you'd have a case against the landlord if your tenancy is on a per room basis as the charge would be just for the room effectively and not a per-person charge - basically they are within their rights to use the room however they wish as long as it's in accordance with the agreement.

Now if they are in violation of their agreement, then you have some grounds to make a legitimate complaint.

Take this with a pinch of salt though as my, admittedly limited, knowledge of tenancy law is based on Scots Law, which becomes entirely useless at the border.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 05:18 PM