BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Born This Way • 5 years on, Billboard's 1000th #1
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Feb 16 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

5 years ago today, Lady Gaga made history. The lead single off her 2nd studio album soared to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and in doing so it became the 1000th number one on the chart's 52 year history.

"It is a tremendous honor," Gaga tells Billboard of the milestone. "To be the 1000th no. 1 on Billboard...I would be silly not to say this is the greatest honor of my career."

"I am so humbled and so honored and overwhelmed by the reception to 'Born This Way,' " Gaga adds. "[It] has been so life changing for me as an artist, and between Billboard and the international number ones and the radio numbers...I couldn't be more blessed to have the fans that I have."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/473...h-born-this-way

So 5 years after this milestone moment of Gaga's career - what do you think of the song and its success/impact now? Has it aged well or is it a song of its time only? And what of the music video - an artistic epic or a jumbled mess?

I will combine this thread with the original BTW single thread in time but for now discuss the single and its legacy here~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Feb 16 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

The build up to this single getting released was the time when I was the biggest Gaga fan. I would think about her practically every spare moment I had and she was all I would listen too kink.gif The gradual build up to this release, from the VMA announcement to the lyrics being posted to the eventual premiere on the radio GAH. I haven't cried as many times about something away from my family as I did with this. I was a mess throughout it ALL and in particular I can remember weeping in my bed reading through the lyrics, and then taking the radio into the bathroom on the morning it premiered, sitting on the bathroom floor and crying throughout the premiere on Radio 1 because I didn't want anyone else to my reaction to it. OVERWHELMING EMOTION.

Looking back now, the song isn't the best she's done but it does what it's supposed to do perfectly and I still really enjoy listening to it, mainly for the memories attached. It really helped me to come to terms with my own sexuality and give me strength and courage to continue in the way I was so I owe it a lot (as cliched as that sounds!).

I am glad it got the chart success it deserved in the US (still gutted about it failing to reach #1 in the UK but the release had a lot of barriers to overcome like a Friday release and then the BRIT Awards the week after so I guess it wasn't meant to be) ~

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 16 2016, 06:10 PM
Post #3
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

1000th #1 is the greatest honour of her career lol that fake b

same as u tho bal, up til this point I was fully on board the gaga hype train and I was anticipating this new era so bad. as alright as the video was I think this is the last time I've actually had some sort of anticipation of her new video cos since then they've been such a non event. im sorta hyped about the new material / first vid of the new era cos she's changed so much of the publics perception of her and I reckon she will try to go back to pure mainstream pop for he new album. this is one of my fav albums but only for the album tracks like scheibe, heavy metal lover and government hooker the rest was a bit hmmmmmhhhmmm. also that album art was s h o c k i n g

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 16 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #4
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

(also felt this was the first moment where you got the sense she was really feeling her own hype and put a lot of people off with that and the ott of it all)

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 16 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #5
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Oh my goddd how time flies! I was also the same as you Bal, I was at the height of my GaGa looning and was so excited by all the clues like the lyrics she was posting. When it premiered I listened to it on repeat for god knows how long. The hype was at the time was unreal *.*

+Quote Post
Regina
post Feb 16 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #6
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

I rememeber hating this when it came out but it really did grow on me once she stopped blowing smoke up her own arse.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Feb 16 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #7
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Possibly my favourite ever Gaga track, was obsessed on the song back in 2011 and it is such an incredible and powerful song heart.gif ;heart:

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Feb 16 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I can't really remember exact details of the build up to this but I know there was a huge hype and I definitely felt that too, so much so that it instantly became my absolute favourite Gaga song at the time (it still remains high on the list so it wasn't a complete exaggeration). I certainly remember the Friday release and how annoyed I was that this missed the #1 - at the time I blamed Adele's BRITs performance, which I really didn't like at the time, for pushing its way to the top when Gaga was midweek #1 (even though Jessie J overtook as well) but in time I realised the release strategy was to blame. At least it wasn't quite so harmful as the shoddy releases for 'Judas' and 'The Edge of Glory'.

The video was pure bonkers and still to this date I'm not really sure what a lot of it means, but I just go along with it and love it for the fact it's so weird. Note how it was Gaga who came up with the 'Gangnam Style' dance a year and a half before PSY came along.

As I said, 'Born This Way' remains one of my favourites but it has unfortunately not stood the hands of time in regards to the hype at the time suggesting this would become a classic (I certainly never hear it on TV or radio any more). Speaking of radio, I remember Capital's edit of "it doesn't matter if you love him or capital F-M". tongue.gif

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 16 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #9
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Feb 16 2016, 06:32 PM) *
"it doesn't matter if you love him or capital F-M". tongue.gif

i c o n i c

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Feb 16 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #10
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

Still one of my favourite Gaga tracks, love everything about it. 10 week #1 in my personal chart

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 16 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #11
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

This song can never really grow old to me, I'm listening to it now in celebration and I always want to full on jam everytime I hear it wub.gif Similarly to a lot of you here I really was stanning Gaga strong at this point laugh.gif (although I have to say my peak of Gaga stanning was pre-ARTPOP). I loved it instantly upon hearing it, it came around at a bit of a rough time, and the whole ensemble of the lyrics and jUST GAGA raised my spirits so much wub.gif

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 16 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #12
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Such a disappointment after the HUGE amount of hype.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Feb 16 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #13
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I like and enjoy it, but it's not high up in her discography for me and I think she killed a fair chunk of her credibility with this song and the preachiness of its subject matter.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Feb 16 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #14
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I like this more now than I did at the time. My main issue at the time was how much of an Express Yourself rip off it all was when I was anticipating something far more original from her... but hell I love Express Yourself so I can cope with another one, plus the album tracks delivered what I wanted from her on the whole so it felt less of a let down then.

+Quote Post
Davidson
post Feb 16 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 11,847
   No Gallery Pics

i remember thinking how incredibly disappointing it was when it first came out. i remember the hype was off the scale and then the song was pretty uninteresting

unfortunately that opinion still stands and it is still probably my least favourite single by her ever

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Feb 17 2016, 12:16 AM
Post #16
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Still a hubris laden pile of crap. Quite aside from her having vanished up her own arse, the ludicrous and entirely off-putting ''mother monster'' crap and the fact it's a poor copy of one of the best songs ever recorded, I still cannot get over how awful the lyrics are. It's pandering and borderline offensive. It's a shame because if you strip away the lyrics and the awful, awful persona of her the melody is undeniably catchy and would rank among her best. As it is it remains the first (of many) nails in the Gaga coffin.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Feb 17 2016, 01:35 AM
Post #17
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

single-handedly responsible for all advances in gay rights in the last five years

put ur paws up

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 19 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

Yeah Born This Way isn't great when I think about it, but luckily Judas/Mary The Night/Edge of Glory as well as the rest of the album were all fantastic.

+Quote Post
Hypodermic Sally
post Feb 19 2016, 12:41 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,622
   No Gallery Pics

"...I would be silly not to say this is the greatest honor of my career."

she says this about everything (the superbowl, the golden globes, singing with Tony) never fails to make me laugh laugh.gif

but honestly BTW is cute but MTN, Judas, HML, Hair, EOG and Schiesse are all superior

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 12:26 AM