BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Endangered dolphin dies as it is passed around for selfies, :(
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Feb 18 2016, 08:03 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

The Wildlife Foundation in Argentina has urged people to return beached dolphins to the sea as soon as possible, after a dolphin was left to die having been passed around so that beachgoers could take photos with it.

Images on Facebook showed a man holding up an endangered Franciscana dolphin on the beach at Santa Teresita, in Buenos Aires province, as people jostled to stroke or take pictures of the creature, seemingly oblivious of its plight. Another photo showed the same dolphin lying dead on its side. The dolphin is believed to have been the second to wash up on the beach that day.

“The occasion serves to inform the public of the urgent need to return these dolphins to sea,” the foundation said on its website. “It is vital that people help to rescue these animals, because every Franciscana counts.”

One of the smallest dolphins in the world, the Franciscana or Plata dolphin measures between 1.30 and 1.70 m long. It gets its name from its brown skin tones, reminiscent of the habit of the Franciscan monks.

It is found only in Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina – mainly off the coast of Buenos Aires province. The Franciscana is thought to number fewer than 30,000. According to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), it is vulnerable to extinction; for years about 500-800 dolphins were caught annually in fishermen’s nets in Buenos Aires province.

The Franciscana, like other dolphins, cannot long remain out of water, the foundation said. Its very thick and greasy skin provides warmth, but out of water, warm weather will quickly cause dehydration and death.

I am sure many of you will have seen this already on social media today. Such a heart-breaking story and a wasted life for a beautiful creature.

Services stating that the dolphins need to be returned to see urgently, but I doubt that will stop people who want a quick snap. Really tragic and upset me more than I thought it would the more I see of it. People just do not know when to stop.

sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
santa's sack
post Feb 18 2016, 08:07 PM
Post #2
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

This is horrible.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 18 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

this is so sad sad.gif sometimes these whole "selfie/social media" trends just go way too far. It's like that story from people paying to pose with hunted animals.

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 18 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #4
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Eurgh, it's sickening that this can happen and also ho narcissistic this world has become. Getting a pic with a dolphin now means more than its life. Ok, so those people might not have known the dolphin would die but they also clearly didn't give it a second thought as long as they got what they wanted.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 18 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #5
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

This is horrendous, it's disgusting how far people go for the right look on social media and to get more likes than their friends.... It's common sense really that a dolphin will die out of water, although I dont imagine people like this are the sharpest tools in the box by any stretch of the imagination.

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Feb 18 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

Disgusting! dry.gif

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Feb 18 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #7
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

Bloody twits. Honestly, it's already bad enough if one person hasn't got a grain of common sense to return a marine animal to water, but if a whole group don't contain a single member clever enough for that, then really I despair.

Such a magnificent creature too sad.gif

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Feb 18 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #8
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

Just disgusting to see...Some part me of me wishes Selfies was never invented than this Dolphin would still be alive right now

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 18 2016, 08:28 PM
Post #9
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Oh yes this was all over Twitter, so so upsetting. sad.gif Moronic behaviour.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 18 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #10
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Taylor Jago @ Feb 18 2016, 08:15 PM) *
Bloody twits. Honestly, it's already bad enough if one person hasn't got a grain of common sense to return a marine animal to water, but if a whole group don't contain a single member clever enough for that, then really I despair.

Bystander effect. Someone else will deal with returning to the dolphin to water so I don't need to bother, and there might be more people who want to take a photo with it, people might get mad at me. Better I just remain silent.

Awful behaviour, poor poor dolphin.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 18 2016, 09:27 PM
Post #11
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Quite an upsetting read sad.gif

Makes me dislike selfies even more.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Feb 19 2016, 12:31 AM
Post #12
Together we are more.
Member No.: 5,042

It's awful and it makes me want to be sick as well as break down and cry! It's one thing wanting to take a picture with it if it got stranded, before putting it back straight away (still horrific) but to actually drag it out of the sea? Just, NO. WHAT KIND OF PLANET ARE YOU FROM!? Ugh. I really do despair for the human race at times like this. I think we're currently at the lowest we've been for a while.

EDIT: The person holding the dolphin in the main picture seems so smug about it all. sad.gif

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Feb 19 2016, 02:01 AM
Post #13
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

How incredibly sad. sad.gif Absolutely disgusting behaviour from those involved.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 19 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #14
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

god help us

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 19 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

I posted about this yesterday morning but it's still making me really uncomfortable. There's something about cruelty to animals that makes me feel really uneasy. I have no idea what the animal rights laws are in South America, but surely the leading culprits should get charged for this. Cat bin lady got 2 years in jail here.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 19 2016, 12:05 PM
Post #16
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Feb 19 2016, 11:35 AM) *
I posted about this yesterday morning but it's still making me really uncomfortable. There's something about cruelty to animals that makes me feel really uneasy. I have no idea what the animal rights laws are in South America, but surely the leading culprits should get charged for this. Cat bin lady got 2 years in jail here.

aha cat bin lady still makes me howl and know I shouldn't. it's like so ridiculous all I can do is laugh

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 19 2016, 12:06 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,931

QUOTE(🌚🌚🌚 @ Feb 19 2016, 12:05 PM) *
aha cat bin lady still makes me howl and know I shouldn't. it's like so ridiculous all I can do is laugh

Well the cat was okay and she is punished so we can laugh now. She will be waiting in hell for us all. Seriously, though I was so angry about cat bin lady when the footage first leaked.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 19 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #18
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Feb 19 2016, 12:06 PM) *
Well the cat was okay and she is punished so we can laugh now. She will be waiting in hell for us all. Seriously, though I was so angry about cat bin lady when the footage first leaked.

looool just watched the footage back and couldn't stop laughing. she's so casual about it. also how in interviews afterwards she said she did it as a joke and thought the cat would riggle out lol

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Feb 19 2016, 03:43 PM
Post #19
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

This is stupid. What's with the overt fascination over a dolphin? If you wanna take a selfie with a dolphin, just go to SeaWorld. Don't cut it off from its life source.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 19 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #20
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I hate to break up the virtue signalling circle jerk, but it turns out that there's a strong chance that the story didn't play out the way it's been reported in the media. According to one witness who took the photos, the dolphin was already dead before the photos were taken, and that those on the beach were trying to take it back to the sea to see if they could revive him, which you might recognise as being the exact opposite of what's being reported.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 02:00 PM