BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kesha denied request to escape contract from abuser, #FreeKesha
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 19 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

The singer Kesha’s request to be released from recording contract with Dr Luke, who she claims physically and sexually assaulted her, was denied by a New York judge on Friday.

Kesha filed a lawsuit against Luke, whose real name is Lukasz Sebastian Gottwald, in 2014, claiming that the physical and sexual abuse began soon after she signed with him in 2005, when she was 18.

In the lawsuit, Kesha alleged that Luke plied the singer with drugs and alcohol before making sexual advances toward her. Kesha claimed that on one occasion, Gottwald gave her “sober pills” during a drinking session, and that she later woke up naked in his bed, unable to recall how she got there.

Gottwald quickly countersued, claiming Kesha’s allegations were part of a “campaign of publishing outrageous and untrue statements”.

Judge Shirley Kornreich denied Kesha’s motion for preliminary injunction, claiming that “there has been no showing of irreparable harm”, BuzzFeed reported.

The denied motion means Kesha will remain under contract with Gottwald’s Kemosabe Records, which is owned by Sony. Citing lack of medical evidence such as hospital records to corroborate the assault allegations, Kornreich said: “I don’t understand why I have to take an extraordinary measure of granting an injunction,” according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Kesha reportedly sobbed as the verdict was announced, and was comforted by her mother who accompanied her to the trial. Dozens of Kesha fans gathered outside the New York City courthouse in support of the #FreeKesha movement and outrage spread over social media.

Attorneys for Gottwald argued that the producer had invested $60m in Kesha’s career and had agreed to allow her to record without his involvement. Kornreich said her instinct was the “do the commercially reasonable thing” and noted that Sony had agreed to let Kesha record without Gottwald’s participation – an agreement Kesha’s lawyers said would set up the singer for failure since Sony’s interests lie in promoting Gottwald.

Last year, Kesha’s lawyers said that while the singer is still under Kemosabe Records, she “will suffer irreparable harm, plummeting her career past the point of no return”.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/...cord-label-rape

Long story short, Kesha wants out of the contract with a man who abused her, but has lost the case as there is "no proof". So now, if she wants to ever make music again, she has to finish her 5-album deal with Sony. It's a bit of a mess and it comes down abuse victims always being made to look like they're the problem. What happened to Kesha is humiliating and is now the reason that so many rape victims are afraid to speak up.

What are all your thoughts on it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sugarplumberella
post Feb 19 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #2
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

sad.gif so horrible.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Feb 19 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #3
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

The photos of her crying were devastating to see. Heartbreaking situation sad.gif

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Feb 19 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

This is horrible!

+Quote Post
dancember
post Feb 19 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #5
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

poor Kesha sad.gif It's been so long since we last had music from her and she's clearly unhappy with the current situation, I was hoping she'd be able to get out of this contract by now.

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Feb 19 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #6
Girl, put in work.
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Joe. @ Feb 19 2016, 09:26 PM) *
It's a bit of a mess and it comes down abuse victims always being made to look like they're the problem.

This is not true at all. It's claims like this that are ridiculous.

There is just no evidence to back up her claims. And frankly I find it a bit odd that she waited so long (basically until after her career stalled) to speak up.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 19 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #7
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(Atonement @ Feb 19 2016, 08:51 PM) *
This is not true at all. It's claims like this that are ridiculous.

There is just no evidence to back up her claims. And frankly I find it a bit odd that she waited so long (basically until after her career stalled) to speak up.

What evidence is she meant to have?! Also speaking up is an INCREDIBLY brave thing to do and I respect her so much for it, it must have taken so much strength. So many people suffer abuse and keep quiet about it because they are worried about the consequences of speaking out. I don't find it odd at all as she waited so long as she was probably threatened/scared in so many ways.

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Feb 19 2016, 09:08 PM
Post #8
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

It's worrying to see artists still wanting to work with Dr Luke.

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Feb 19 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #9
Girl, put in work.
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Feb 19 2016, 09:58 PM) *
What evidence is she meant to have?!

Whatsapp? Phone conversations? Camera footage? Claims from people that worked with them together? If he physically assaulted her as she says, photos of bruises, scratches?

It happened for a decade and after all that time there's nothing to report except his word against hers?

I don't know the ins and out of their story as I didn't follow it but nobody here knows the whole truth (except Kesha and dr. Luke). I'm not saying it didn't happen. The general public is, of course, very quick to defend the well known popstar without evidence. A judge is not gonna do that.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 19 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend

The thing is, there was absolutely no reason that Kesha would want to make it up. She would have known that coming forward would have meant for a huge possibility that her career would be over, which it likely is now. This would also be the reason that she held back from coming forward for so long. We can never know anything for certain, Antonment, you're right about that. But Kesha wasn't even trying to jail Dr Luke, she just didn't feel comfortable working with him for those extreme reasons, so for the court to deny her that freedom is quite sad, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 19 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #11
feminist icon

QUOTE(Atonement @ Feb 19 2016, 09:10 PM) *
Whatsapp? Phone conversations? Camera footage? Claims from people that worked with them together? If he physically assaulted her as she says, photos of bruises, scratches?

It happened for a decade and after all that time there's nothing to report except his word against hers?

I don't know the ins and out of their story as I didn't follow it but nobody here knows the whole truth (except Kesha and dr. Luke). I'm not saying it didn't happen. The general public is, of course, very quick to defend the well known popstar without evidence. A judge is not gonna do that.

Do you genuinely believe she would come forward with the whole world watching if she didn't genuinely believe she had a case? She's risked so much for this, her career, her public image, her own personal life. I'm not being quick to defend a well known popstar, I'm being quick to defend a victim of abuse.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 19 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #12
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

This is awful, her promising career ruined like this, and for her not to be allowed to escape her contract and make music under her own terms away from Dr Luke.

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Feb 19 2016, 09:22 PM
Post #13
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

Really do feel for Ke$ha, clearly it's not a healthy relationship no matter what did or didn't happen between the two of them and it's ruined her career basically sad.gif

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 19 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #14
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I'm not saying he didn't do it and I really do feel for Kesha but there has to be a presumption of innocence otherwise no one can have a fair trial. While she wasn't bringing criminal proceedings against him, finding in favour of her could send out the message that heis an abuser which would have extremely damaging effects on his career and, without any proof, its dangerous to do that.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 19 2016, 09:41 PM
Post #15
feminist icon

A source close to Kesha has apparently said there are medical records. I hope this is the case so there is some evidence, but the source renamed unnamed so not trusting anything yet sad.gif

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Feb 20 2016, 12:39 AM
Post #16
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I do feel terrible for her sad.gif

+Quote Post
kye
post Feb 20 2016, 12:46 AM
Post #17
• Aesthetic Party •
Member No.: 2,169

I haven't read the whole thing but has it been discussed if/why she can't stay with Sony and not work with Dr Luke?

This post has been edited by Scherz: Feb 20 2016, 12:46 AM

+Quote Post
Serg
post Feb 20 2016, 12:56 AM
Post #18
I'm so into you, I can barely breathe
Member No.: 22,662
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Scherz @ Feb 20 2016, 01:46 AM) *
I haven't read the whole thing but has it been discussed if/why she can't stay with Sony and not work with Dr Luke?

She doesn't want to associate with Sony when they’re supporting the man that sexually abused her

She knows Sony won't support her/promote her, knowing she sued them and their client (Dr. Luke) .

Some people claim that Kesha still has 6-8 albums on the contract. So sad.

+Quote Post
kye
post Feb 20 2016, 01:21 AM
Post #19
• Aesthetic Party •
Member No.: 2,169

QUOTE(Serg Mix @ Feb 20 2016, 12:56 AM) *
She doesn't want to associate with Sony when they’re supporting the man that sexually abused her

She knows Sony won't support her/promote her, knowing she sued them and their client (Dr. Luke) .
Some people claim that Kesha still has 6-8 albums on the contract. So sad.

I've just read that one of the reasons that the case was thrown out is because they have offered her chances to record without Dr Luke.
So, with that in mind, I can understand why (from a legal perspective) that she has to stay in contract with them.
Isn't she still seen by Sony as a 'viable' popstar? I can see why they wouldn't want to let her out of that contract.
From a business point of view, they'd be throwing money away. It's unfortunate that money speaks louder than morals.

If what she's alleged is true then I truly feel for her and I couldn't imagine what she must be going through.
And if I were her, I would have started by asking to be released from Luke's sub-label as long as Sony agreed to promote her music properly. I think a judge would be much more willing to hear that than to leave the contract altogether. Then, if Sony didn't promote her or give her the opportunities that they would have agreed to, she could sue them for breaching the contract.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Feb 22 2016, 03:26 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend

This whole thing has gotten a lot more interesting. Taylor Swift has stayed silent but donated 250k to Kesha. Demi isn't impressed.

It's a very bizarre and confusing situation but I think Demi makes some valid and interesting points.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 10:29 PM