BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Saturday Night TV: Then and Now, discuss
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
bipolar angel
post Feb 22 2016, 11:08 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

posted this because of a comment someone gave me about saturday night tv.. they said it's dominated by reality shows, and hardly any original family entertainment shows are made these days

what are your thoughts?

do you prefer saturday tv of today- with x factor, britain's got talent, the voice, that kind of thing- or do you think more family shows (such as takeaway) need to be broadcast?

personally, i'm for the old saturday night format.

i remember shows like gladiators, blind date, noel's hous party, even who wants to be a milionair made up saturdays (it was good for a saturday night), and let us not forget shows such as the vault, which briefly held a saturday timeslot.

i think it's sad how these days on a saturday night, if you're not watching a reality show, it's you've been framed, or if their's nothing at all reality on, ITV put on a movie

what happened to shows like stars in their eyes.

not so much a reality show, just a fun weekly singing contest

i like reality shows like the X factor, but i do think that more family/ entertainment shows need to be included

don't get rid of X factor, strictly, what ever it might be, just try and add more variety of shows.. or at least that's what i say
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 22 2016, 11:20 AM
Post #2
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I agree that I prefer the big entertainment shows to the reality shows, it's just a shame that the channels are having real difficulty in trying to find another winning format. It would be nice to see a revival of the Saturday Night entertainment shows so that they don't have to rely on the reality shows all the time to bring in the ratings.

I remember the Vault though, I used to love that! Outside of the classics, I loved stuff like Dog Eat Dog as well laugh.gif

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Feb 22 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #3
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

ugh the nostalgia even just reading this! I'd be static in front of the TV watching gladiators, friends like these, moment of truth on a Saturday night. Good enough to not make me wanna play out even

i stopped watching TV pretty much altogether after I got to college but I've seen bits of the sorta shows around now and they are pretty shocking. things like ninja warrior I definitely woulda loved as a kid but that's all I can think of.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Feb 22 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #4
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

The days of don't scare the hare and hole in the wall *.*

+Quote Post
richie
post Feb 22 2016, 01:01 PM
Post #5
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

The lottery quiz has been the only decent thing on Saturday nights for years now. Strictly is the only 'talent' show I can abide and even that isn't as good as it was.

As for Stars in their Eyes, they brought that back as a Harry Hill vehicle - upped the tragic irony level to blistering levels and completely forgot to get people on who could actually sing (presumably any who can had already wasted their time on X-Factor and The Voice). The original Matthew Kelly series was a bit tacky, yes, but the soundalikes were usually not bad.

What is slightly ironic is that Challenge TV used to have a fantastic Saturday night line-up with repeats of the likes of Bobs Full House and 3-2-1 being shown. Now it's all Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Even though I loved Millionaire when it started it completely lost its appeal once the prize had been won. I definitely wouldn't want to see a repeat.

Would like to see repeats of things like You Bet, Every Second Counts, maybe even classic Generation Game.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 22 2016, 02:34 PM
Post #6
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

I would love to see a return of a show in the vein of The Generation Game. I think the problem with modern entertainment shows is they try and back them a bit too flashy.

+Quote Post
Mack'sXmasSack
post Feb 22 2016, 03:43 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Stars On Their Eyes should have been left well alone when Harry Hill brought it back nowhere near its best.

Has anyone ever read "The Encyclopaedia of Classic Saturday Night Telly', which talks about most of the Saturday night programmes that were shown? I highly recommend it.

The trouble with Saturday Night TV is about it is most about talent/reality shows.

I remember that Big Break a snooker game hosted by Jim Davidson went on for 12 years.

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Feb 22 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mack @ Feb 22 2016, 03:43 PM) *
Stars On Their Eyes should have been left well alone when Harry Hill brought it back nowhere near its best.

Has anyone ever read "The Encyclopaedia of Classic Saturday Night Telly', which talks about most of the Saturday night programmes that were shown? I highly recommend it.

The trouble with Saturday Night TV is about it is most about talent/reality shows.

I remember that Big Break a snooker game hosted by Jim Davidson went on for 12 years.

who wrote that book?

might have to see if i can find it.

i remember harry hill's stars in their eyes.

lots of commedy, and too much focus on that storyline (if you could call it that?) with addelle

+Quote Post
richie
post Feb 22 2016, 06:36 PM
Post #9
Poet and Storyteller
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

I think it was Graham Kibble-White - I've got it somewhere.

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Feb 23 2016, 09:28 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(richie @ Feb 22 2016, 06:36 PM) *
I think it was Graham Kibble-White - I've got it somewhere.

i think it might be an interesting read

thanks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 12:31 PM