BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the early days of internet, dial up, old websites, etc
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
bipolar angel
post Feb 23 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

discuss the early days of the internet.

for example, what is your earliest memory of being on the internet?

did you use dialup?

perhaps you used neopets, or some other ancient online game..

my first memory of being online was a school project. we had to do a project on the author roald dahl, and that's when i first went online to look up his biography, but ended up finding the website for charlie and the chocolate factory

this was even before i got my own internet connection (school computer)

the first time i connected to the internet at home was on dialup, using tiscali

i used to hate dialup (for obvious reasons), but it was something

tiscali wasn't that great either
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 23 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I do have vague memories of dial-up indeed! *shudders at the thought of the noise* My very earliest memory is visiting the Bratz website. cool.gif

It was all about website creating site Piczo for me when younger *.* R.I.P. jades-kool-website </3 hours and hours of fun *.*

Referring to the OP, I was on Binweevils instead of Neopets also. Me and my brother actually paid money to be 'bin tycoons' loool which was essentially having a top hat (and a couple other cool features x) and feeling superior to the other regular members. Just why x Oh the good ol' days~

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Feb 23 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #3
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Was Club Penguin obsessed is one of my first memories wub.gif

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Feb 23 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #4
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

I can't remember my exact first uses of the internet but it was at school too, with the occasional use at a relative's house (created a Piczo site with my cousins), didn't have internet at home until summer 2006..

QUOTE(bipolar angel @ Feb 23 2016, 06:18 PM) *
perhaps you used neopets, or some other ancient online game..

..and soon after that I joined Neopets kink.gif Still go on from time to time to play games, my account is 10 years old in December. Quite proud of what I achieved with it cool.gif

Also have Runescape memories from year 7

And Habbo Hotel *.*

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 23 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #5
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Earliest internet memories was visiting The Beano's official website when it launched back in 1998 on my grandfather's computer.

Talking about early internet memories, the official website for the movie Space Jam remains as it was from when that movie was released 20 years ago.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Feb 23 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #6
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

This website was EVERYTHING in 2004-6, please tell me I wasn't the only one: http://rathergood.com/

The cats singing Independent Woman and Gay Bar were highlights *.*

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 23 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I remember using Dotmusic to access the Top 75 of the UK singles chart in 2000. *.*
https://web.archive.org/web/20000817092619/...op75singles.asp

Once a chart geek, always a chart geek.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Feb 23 2016, 06:40 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I've kinda been online since I can remember! My late father worked with computers and my sister and I used to have a blast going to his workplace several times a week, sometimes bringing along friends and other family members, to surf the internet and play games etc. We didn't have a computer at home soo.. I remember there were two computers in his office, one with an internet connection and one without (idk why it was like that) so when my sister and I would decide to go, we would be like "I get to use the internet computer first!!1" and so the "loser" would use the one that didn't connect to the internet and play computer games. We both had famous people and cartoon characters etc, whose pictures we would look up constantly and we would find all sorts of information and random facts about them too, it was a really fun time. That particular connection wasn't dial-up I believe, but the first internet connection I had at home was indeed dial-up. Because it was expensive, my mum's then partner who I lived with put a limit on it (just verbally, I mean technically we could use it however much we wanted to) so each of us was not allowed to use it for more than one hour a day lol. Occasionally we would go over the limit, but that was rare as he was quite a strict guy. The day we finally got Broadband was the happiest day of my life. jk

Oh how I do love occasional moments of nostalgia :')

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Feb 23 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I remember dial up. I remember only being allowed 1 hour per day online because everyone else in the family needed to have a go too. I remember my mum going insane when it came to bargains in the early days of eBay.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Feb 23 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #10
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Yeh I remember having to ask to go on the internet because it would cut off the phoneline, obviously seems very strange now~

I mainly just used the internet to play stupid games on the CBBC website and stuff like that and then obviously MSN heart.gif heart.gif

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 23 2016, 06:56 PM
Post #11
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

omg mems heart.gif

dialup (I still memorize the tone laugh.gif)

Slow internet, retro websites omg miniclip.com bubblegum club, frogger 2 etc. oh my!

and BIG ASS DESKTOP COMPUTERS

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 23 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #12
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Literal first usage of the internet I think was just to read GameFAQs for all my favourite pc games. And find out stuff on whatever versions of wikis were about back then. I just wasn't on it that much.

I think it was only in 2005/06, with access to the IT room at school, that I started using it for its proper purpose, messing about. And chief there (all the standard ArmorGames/Teagames/crazymonkeygames/literallyanythingwithgamesinthetitlegames, BattleOn things aside), was Runescape. Which was, back then, a lovably shit game that you could actually get proper progress on with all your friends playing it. And only complete nerds would still occasionally be playing the fairly good and strategically deep game it's turned into 10 years later, right? But that aside, back then, that was a clear big part of my early internet history.

I think, until about 2008, the only thing I used the internet for were things that were games or were related to games. Unless someone reawakens some forgotten part of the net that I was on and have blocked from my memory.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 23 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #13
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Jaspine Thompson @ Feb 23 2016, 06:56 PM) *
omg mems heart.gif
Slow internet, retro websites omg miniclip.com bubblegum club, frogger 2 etc. oh my!

OMG this was such a fave!! wub.gif The chill out penguin and crumpet the cow games <3

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 23 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #14
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 23 2016, 07:01 PM) *
OMG this was such a fave!! wub.gif The chill out penguin and crumpet the cow games <3

I was trying to find that spider game last year where you were a fly in a cave or something and there were spiders scrolling around and when you died it said DINNER TIME! but find it, I cannot no.gif was hoping it was just a simple flash game and that someone downloaded and reuploaded it somewhere else but Google is just saying that it pretty much doesn't exist sob.gif

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Feb 23 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #15
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

There was the early days of me playing Starcraft when I was like 7-8 years old tongue.gif

Then it went to stuff like NeoPets and Club Penguin. I don't think I remember my passwords for either anymore. I'm surprised the latter is still a thing.

+Quote Post
santa's sack
post Feb 23 2016, 07:31 PM
Post #16
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I joined this Trading Card forum and back in those days it was SO MUCH FUN. omg.

but sadly nowadays it looks more like this..
Total posts today: 17

sad.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Feb 24 2016, 02:11 AM
Post #17
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

If I remember correctly I had my first AOL account at age SIX (mellow.gif), way back in 1998, and decided to include my age in my e-mail address which meant I'd need to make a new one every year. Thankfully I stopped doing that after the second time. I miss IMing my grandparents and updating my buddy list sob.gif Was a Neopets addict for a couple years too, but at one point I forgot my password and had to start all over--must have been before "reset your password" was a thing!

I remember once needing to know the world population for a school assignment and my dad found it on Google for me. For the next year or so I assumed Google was just a "population counting" website. laugh.gif That was probably 2002, and I very fondly remember discovering Wikipedia in 2006 while doing a class project on a favorite music artist. I chose Gorillaz. Of course I abused the privilege of being able to edit any article, lol, but actually being able to find any song's chart peaks on there played a huge part for me becoming a chart fan.

It's crazy how much the Internet has changed in such a short time, should be fun trying to explain dial-up to the grandkids kink.gif

+Quote Post
Colm
post Feb 24 2016, 09:49 AM
Post #18
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

1993 in college. Most sites were like teletext - black background wit primary coloured text. Some were that old windows grey colour. I remember looking up REM lyrics.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Feb 24 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

I remember looking up cheat codes for SNES games in about 1997 as my dad had dial up in his home office.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 24 2016, 10:12 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

dial-up used to drive me insane, slooooooooow, dropping off mid-crucial moment, pages taking 2 minutes to load. I learned to swear like a trooper during this period as a means of avoiding hitting the huge computer. Sorry, I'm older, no nostalgia for me about it, I'll take broadband and laptops anyday laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 10:41 AM