BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are you a perfectionist?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HowToPronounceMa...
post Feb 28 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

A more serious thread this time cheer.gif

Get your thinking caps on.

Would you consider yourself a perfectionist? What does that word even mean to you? Are you someone who often feels dissatisfied with your work because it feels like you haven't given it your all? Do you always strive for everything to be better?

I sometimes do find myself thinking of myself/calling myself somewhat of a perfectionist. I think it's because I often like to go all out when I become interested in something or when I feel that something is worth doing and trying my hardest at. Things can always be improved upon, but it's all about when you feel something is just right. Sometimes I will find myself doing a slightly more lackluster job and be more relaxed about things (I can assure you I'm not a complete nervous wreck magic.gif), but I find that the end result is usually more satisfying when you've done something with a sharp eye and tried to give it your all. When I'm writing something, or even Photoshopping a picture or something, I often find myself thinking "Oh, I should've put this part in or maybe I should've left that part out", so it's like I want to do the best job I can and still often don't feel completely satisfied. I just feel uneasy when something I've worked on feels incomplete.

However, when it comes to other people, I'm not that perfectionistic. I have a distaste towards people nitpicking to others about every little thing and don't like finding myself in situations where I'm doing it too. So in that way it's all live-and-let-live. But when it comes to doing something useful or interesting, I try to make an effort and love others doing so also!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Feb 28 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #2
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I wouldn't call myself a perfectionist no but I can get a bit frustrated if I feel like I haven't done something as well as I could have/should have but generally I just accept that it is what it is and I did try my best and I'm not always going to get the results I thought I would. It's better to take things as a bit of a learning curve, that way you can learn from and improve on them in the future. It's maybe different for me as I'm really talking about my design work here as quite often just because something didn't go to plan or it didn't come out the way I'd hoped, I can turn it into another solution or work with it. I'm very all over the place so a lot of the time I don't have a set structure or process I plan to stick to so it doesn't make sense for me to be a perfectionist really when I don't have the idea of the perfect outcome in my head, I just take things as they come or I do what comes to mind first and end up working backwards laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Feb 28 2016, 02:15 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ℒ𝓲𝓷⻤ @ Feb 28 2016, 01:52 PM) *
a lot of the time I don't have a set structure or process I plan to stick to so it doesn't make sense for me to be a perfectionist really when I don't have the idea of the perfect outcome in my head, I just take things as they come or I do what comes to mind first

omg this just blew my mind. I'm probably not as much of a perfectionist as I thought then (I didn't consider myself an extreme one anyway) since I often don't have a proper plan either and like to improvise a lot of the time, but I think it's like, I just instinctively know when it feels right, even if I never even had a proper vision for the end result, and if it doesn't feel right then I consider it imperfect or something? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Feb 28 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #4
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Feb 28 2016, 02:15 PM) *
omg this just blew my mind. I'm probably not as much of a perfectionist as I thought then (I didn't consider myself an extreme one anyway) since I often don't have a proper plan either and like to improvise a lot of the time, but I think it's like, I just instinctively know when it feels right, even if I never even had a proper vision for the end result, and if it doesn't feel right then I consider it imperfect or something? laugh.gif

Yea I know what you mean, I'm the same tbh. What I said before maybe came across like I'm just like "oh well, it will do" with a lot of things when that's not the case, it is hard to explain, I can be quite critical of my own work and often think it isn't good enough or that there's always something that needs changing but I think a lot of people are like that, especially as students but that's probably more of a confidence thing than anything else.

One of my friends is a bit of a perfectionist as in she makes sure her images are evenly spaced and stuck in straight in her sketchbook, she literally will draw things multiple times, tracing over her previous drawing to make sure every line is correct and will start again if anything is a bit wonky etc, and that's not even in her final pieces, she's like that with all her developmental things as well, which can be rough sketches and messy experiments, that's the kind of thing I think of when someone uses the term perfectionist. I don't think there's anything wrong with that in the least and I'm actually quite envious as I'm pretty much the polar opposite of that. It is really interesting to me to see someone work like that as most creative people are messy and expressive in their working methods so to see someone do what I'm doing but in a very logical and planned out sense is very cool. happy.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Feb 28 2016, 03:06 PM

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Feb 28 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #5
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I am a perfectionist when writing, or in Audacity. I always either make sure my word order is exactly right so that nobody can pull me up on misplacing my meaning, or otherwise really enjoy what I've written, and when editing music (something that I practice at when I can), getting down to the fine bones of it is something you have to get right.

My work can often always be better in my mind. It's something I'm always plagued with. I tend to submit assignments as late as I can (admittedly often just as it gets done, but that's me being late to start rather than not caring about what I write), but even if is full force procrastination and therefore a rush job of writing it, and especially because of that, I always take the time to carefully read through it at least once before submitting, just to make sure there is nothing glaring. If I get more time, I will go through it and change things to make it better.

And that is why I cannot start drawing at all, every time I try the first attempt looks awful and I just struggle to see where I'd get anywhere near resembling a piece of work that I'd be okay to call my own, so I just consider that a skill I do not have.

I guess I'm a perfectionist in that I want what I do to be good and I will spend a long time over things I care about to make sure it's ordered, reads well, and is a quality production. Like this post actually, I'm making sure it's well structured, there's a good point to it, and that I'm expressing my opinion clearly in the conclusion, even so far that I even get a little bit of time to go meta at the end.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Feb 28 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Oh my gosh yes I'm a perfectionist. I remember us discussing this in Psychology AS Level and it screamed me. Like, maximisation and minimisation of things. I never seem to be satisfied with my work for example and even when I get praise for it I still feel like I could've done better and kinda shrug it off. Whereas when I've done something wrong, even the most minor detail, I will overthink it to the max.

I've noticed that I've been quite obsessive with getting my work right at Uni. I had a radio assignment and had to record a voice piece, but I'd find myself recording it about 20 times because I wasn't satisfied with it each time. But by this point it was getting ridiculous so I just had to stop.

I always feel like I have to be the best at everything I do which I guess can be a good thing in terms of being determined. But more often than not I don't meet the pre-determined goals that I have and it leaves me extremely frustrated. I always feel like I've resonated with 'perfectionism' so much. With everything from my appearance to work.

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Feb 28 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

no.

not at all.

i'm 1 of those people who just does something, and if people don't like what i'm doing, it's not really their problem.

you can't please everyone in life, and i say live for yourself- not for what other people want or expect from you

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Feb 28 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 21,265

Probably the opposite. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Feb 28 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(bipolar angel @ Feb 28 2016, 05:34 PM) *
no.

not at all.

i'm 1 of those people who just does something, and if people don't like what i'm doing, it's not really their problem.

you can't please everyone in life, and i say live for yourself- not for what other people want or expect from you

I agree with you, but I'm not sure that has to do with perfectionism much. I'm talking more about your own expectations of yourself I guess. Unless you mean other people being perfectionistic about you - that's a different story.

+Quote Post
Klumzee
post Feb 28 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #10
it's alright to feel like a fat child in a pushchair
Member No.: 11,421

I'd say I'm a 'selective perfectionist', if it's something I care about then I do stress over the details and often have to repeat what I'm doing over and over until I get the outcome I want. However in other situations I will do the minimum required and be happy with it as long as it's deemed acceptable. It's odd. When I was younger I fit the perfectionist description much better but I've become more blasť in my attitude.

Although what Jade said about 'having to be the best' really resonates with me. I know I can get jealous when I see other people being successful or achieving great things when I'm not and it's such a bad character trait :/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 12:30 PM