BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> owning a budgie, but worried about the climate..
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
bipolar angel
post Feb 29 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

has anyone on this forum owned a budgie?

actually i'm thinking of owning one.. my only concern however is the climate, budgies arn't used to this sort of weather.

if you've owned a budgie, share your experiences.. good or bad
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 29 2016, 05:04 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I've owned budgies when I was younger. Pet ones in a cage in my room heart.gif they eventually died off and now we just have cockatiels and chickens biggrin.gif

But it was a good experience.

As for the climate, I'm pretty sure they're ok outside as long as they have like a shed or something to keep warm. They are definitely ok staying in your home though!

This post has been edited by TheNotoriousSPUN: Feb 29 2016, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Feb 29 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TheNotoriousSPUN @ Feb 29 2016, 05:04 PM) *
I've owned budgies when I was younger. Pet ones in a cage in my room heart.gif they eventually died off and now we just have cockatiels and chickens biggrin.gif

But it was a good experience.

As for the climate, I'm pretty sure they're ok outside as long as they have like a shed or something to keep warm. They are definitely ok staying in your home though!

thanks for that.

how long did your budgies live for?

any tips on how many times a day they should be let out, how many times fed, etc

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Feb 29 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(bipolar angel @ Feb 29 2016, 05:08 PM) *
thanks for that.

any tips on how many times a day they should be let out, how many times fed, etc

what if it flies away

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Feb 29 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(bipolar angel @ Feb 29 2016, 05:08 PM) *
thanks for that.

Can't remember exactly but Wikipedia says 7 to 9 years!

How are you intending on keeping one? Will it be kept in a cage in your house or outside in an aviary?

As for feeding, I think they should only be having fruit occasionally (as they contain sugar) so about once or twice per week. Most supermarkets sell things like budgie food in a packet which you can feed them (they probably have directions on the packets for how often/amounts)

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Mar 1 2016, 11:10 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TheNotoriousSPUN @ Feb 29 2016, 05:16 PM) *
Can't remember exactly but Wikipedia says 7 to 9 years!

How are you intending on keeping one? Will it be kept in a cage in your house or outside in an aviary?

As for feeding, I think they should only be having fruit occasionally (as they contain sugar) so about once or twice per week. Most supermarkets sell things like budgie food in a packet which you can feed them (they probably have directions on the packets for how often/amounts)

i'll be keeping it in a cage inside (with the cage sitting on a desk)

i plan to let it out daily (with the windows shut of course so it can't fly out), and feed it often.

not entirely sure why i want to own a budgie, just a thought that occurred to me

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Mar 1 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #7

I reckon a few hours during the day would be fine, as long as the cage is open so it can fly back in for food. But the longer he's flying around for, the more mess he's going to make around the house kink.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 1 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

had pet budgies indoors and not so-human-friendly budgies in an aviary in the garden.

Pros: cuddly, friendly, teach them to talk, have them flying round the room, landing on your head, chatterboxes. When they breed (in aviary) it's exciting not knowing what colour the chicks will be (genetics is fascinating, 2 green parents can produce yellow, white or blue offspring, but more often green, and mixed colours mixed offspring)

cons: fluffy feathers and dust in the air and seed everywhere, they die on you after 5 or 10 years, you MUST have heating if outside or the first frost will kill them, gets smelly, and lots of poo to clean regularly.

I loved my budgies, though, and still miss them, especially Budgie (named after a TV show starring pop star Adam Faith) my very tame house budgie, nothing frightened him but he got far too frisky with the top of my head.... ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Mar 2 2016, 10:04 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Mar 1 2016, 10:28 PM) *
had pet budgies indoors and not so-human-friendly budgies in an aviary in the garden.

Pros: cuddly, friendly, teach them to talk, have them flying round the room, landing on your head, chatterboxes. When they breed (in aviary) it's exciting not knowing what colour the chicks will be (genetics is fascinating, 2 green parents can produce yellow, white or blue offspring, but more often green, and mixed colours mixed offspring)

cons: fluffy feathers and dust in the air and seed everywhere, they die on you after 5 or 10 years, you MUST have heating if outside or the first frost will kill them, gets smelly, and lots of poo to clean regularly.

I loved my budgies, though, and still miss them, especially Budgie (named after a TV show starring pop star Adam Faith) my very tame house budgie, nothing frightened him but he got far too frisky with the top of my head.... ohmy.gif

i didn't know you could teach them to talk.

parrots, yes. but i wasn't sure about budgies

but that's cool

and are you talking about budgie the kids tv series?

i sort of remember that

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 06:14 AM