BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WORLD BOOK DAY 2016, 📚
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Mar 2 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

hi.gif

So tomorrow is World Book Day *.* I am aware that for many people not working with children it might just pass them by, but here's a reminder for all! Does anyone have any special plans (talking mainly to the fellow teachers here~) or will anyone now make arrangements to maybe visit their local library / re-visit a favourite book for the occasion?

And I suppose, what memories do you have of the day from your own childhood? What was your favourite book growing up? Did you ever dress up for it / will you dress up tomorrow? Sort of aware that this may not have much interest but just discuss FAVOURITE BOOKS in general if that's the case tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Mar 2 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

I shall be dressing up as Harry Potter for the day :') I initially wanted to go as The BFG but the costume was all sold out and I haven't had the time to make one sad.gif It's such a fun celebration though to just share and discuss favourite books.

I have quite vivid memories of dressing up as Dumbledore in my final year at primary school and making the entire costume from scratch but looking back it was shockingly shit lmao.

+Quote Post
santa's sack
post Mar 2 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #3
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

We're having it on Friday at my school, because the librarian has a funeral to go to tomorrow. laugh.gif

Quite excited - free cake for anyone that donates a book in the library cheer.gif

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Mar 2 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

We do have a book project next week in English,Dutch and German classes as we are off this week.

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Mar 2 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #5
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I don't have any recollection of World Book Day things occurring when I was in primary school! It launched in the UK in 1998, so I'd have been in Year 5 when it first happened, so I guess my school didn't partake. sad.gif

So no memories, but nevertheless I was an extremely avid reader at the time so I probably would have appreciated that day if I'd known of it!

I read so many books pre-secondary school, but I can't even remember the vast majority of them (bar your obvious Roald Dahl & Dick King Smith books and the likes), but I'm pretty sure that the first Harry Potter book became my favourite ever book (as generic a favourite book as that might seem). It was our class novel in Year 6... we were meant to read a paragraph aloud each, going around the classroom... I think per session we only got through half a chapter at a time. That was too slow for me, I found these sessions frustrating. I asked my Dad to buy it for me, and then I read it super quickly at home. I got told off by the teacher for doing that!

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Mar 2 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Ja˙ @ Mar 2 2016, 06:49 PM) *
I read so many books pre-secondary school, but I can't even remember the vast majority of them (bar your obvious Roald Dahl & Dick King Smith books and the likes), but I'm pretty sure that the first Harry Potter book became my favourite ever book (as generic a favourite book as that might seem). It was our class novel in Year 6... we were meant to read a paragraph aloud each, going around the classroom... I think per session we only got through half a chapter at a time. That was too slow for me, I found these sessions frustrating. I asked my Dad to buy it for me, and then I read it super quickly at home. I got told off by the teacher for doing that!

What that's ridiculous :S We're reading Matilda currently and while it does take a while (we only get ~20 minutes max on a day and that time includes a lot of discussion about the book) but i've encouraged them to buy the book themselves and power on through it! Nothing better than a child getting into a book and enjoying reading it outside of lessons!

Shocked that a teacher had a go at you for reading outside of school but we are talking about the Victorian times here unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Mar 2 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #7
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Ahh good old World Book Day! I was a huge bookworm in Primary School and very much looked forward to this.

I remember dressing as Alice from Alice In Wonderland for it one year! heart.gif

+Quote Post
dancember
post Mar 2 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #8
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

for tomorrow's World Book Day I will be dressing up as a male private-school sixth-form student.

Like I do every other school day. kink.gif

+Quote Post
dancember
post Mar 2 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #9
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Also I previously had quite a BAD experience of World Book Day when I was in KS3 (i.e I was one of about 10 ppl who actually dressed up and I didn't bring a back-up change of clothes)

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Mar 2 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #10
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

I remember always having World Book Day at primary school but not since then. It was really fun! I remember I dressed up twice I think, once in my pyjamas (don't remember why though!) and don't remember the other time either oops! Always encouraged me to read though and my school would usually have a book store and we'd get vouchers throughout the week that we could use heart.gif

If I was to dress up now, I'd probably get a wig and dress up as Katniss from The Hunger Games! wub.gif

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Mar 2 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I remember my (small) brother dressing up as Mr Small for World Book Day in primary school, got like the biggest 'aww' ever in the assembly that day :')

I don't remember what I dressed up as for these, I do remember I always got very uncomfortable in it though.

+Quote Post
MARIAH.
post Mar 2 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #12
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Member No.: 3,217

QUOTE(HausofTroye @ Mar 2 2016, 06:52 PM) *
What that's ridiculous :S We're reading Matilda currently and while it does take a while (we only get ~20 minutes max on a day and that time includes a lot of discussion about the book) but i've encouraged them to buy the book themselves and power on through it! Nothing better than a child getting into a book and enjoying reading it outside of lessons!

Shocked that a teacher had a go at you for reading outside of school but we are talking about the Victorian times here unsure.gif

laugh.gif So I've found the shade you said you threw at me. angel.gif

I agree! Seems so silly that a teacher try and discourage my interest in reading. From her point of view it ruined future activities she had lined up though (for instance, "write what you think happens next") and that sort of thing. She got around it by asking me to write what I thought could happen in the second book instead. Lmao at me still remembering this 18 years on. heehee.gif

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Mar 2 2016, 09:27 PM
Post #13
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

I used to love this when I was younger! ohmy.gif In my school they still do events, but they're mainly for the lower school! The library has extra shelves up atm with new books to buy and are also giving away older books for free.

Growing up, I loved reading Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl. I think in year 5 or 6 I read the Golden Compass books, which I ADORED! ohmy.gif (I need to reread those soon, the second one wub.gif ). One of my favourite books still now is Flowers in the Attic, which I read a few years ago but it's absolutely incredible. Reading was one of my favourite childhood memories, I used to read so much, writing this is making me realize I really need to read more now currently kink.gif I read Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka recently and am now reading The Trial which I'm enjoying ohmy.gif One of my favourite childhood reading memories is when I organized a read-a-thon with my friends, and we raised some money for charity! cheer.gif I think I persuaded family members to sponser me by page, and I managed to get to 5-600 or so in the allotted time ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Mar 2 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #14
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

We never dressed up, we just had book stalls that were there for a week where you could buy books

+Quote Post
LexC
post Mar 2 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #15
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I have vague memories of going to one of these things as Alex Rider from, well, the Alex Rider series. The main benefit of which was that it was essentially just normal non-uniform clothes with typical early 00s hair gel spiked hair.

And I will be reading a book on World Book Day but as it's for my degree it'll be something about either sex, terrorism or both. Fun times.

This post has been edited by LexDANCE: Mar 2 2016, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Mar 3 2016, 12:22 AM
Post #16
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, we had this at primary school but most people didn't quite get the concept and just went in any random piece of fancy dress or they would go as a character from a film. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Mar 3 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #17
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

As expected, only the teachers and lower school dressed up! (I don't know if sixth formers were allowed tho)!

Our library had a load of book related quizzes and challenges, we got bored during a lesson so went off and did one and won some jumping beans laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Mar 3 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #18
Henrietta R Hippo

Had so much fun today! Went as Harry Potter and spent the entire day doing reading activities, competitions and generally enthusing with the class. Had to announce various prizes in assembly too and don't think I stopped smiling throughout. Can't every day be world book day :')

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Mar 3 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #19
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Aww, that is lovely you enjoyed yourself Bal. Great day for getting people into reading, hope it is inspiring tons of kids to read as much as I did when I was that young.

I think my main memories of this are, in secondary, just getting a good opportunity to buy myself a new book and get further in with a series (main one that springs to mind is CHERUB). Dressing up, that is much further in the past in primary, where I think I just went for Harry Potter (? I think, it would have been the obvious thing for me to go as).

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 6 2016, 06:21 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

As an oldie, I missed out on World Book Day in my school days sad.gif

I always used to read loads when I was at school. By the end of my first term at primary school, I had read all the books we were meant to read in our first year laugh.gif I can remember taking books home form the school library and then bringing them back the next day after I'd read them. The people in charge of the library didn't believe that I'd managed to read them so quickly laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 03:46 PM