BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Other' music
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post Mar 14 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

How often do people experiment musically with stuff they listen to? In the past I've been very dismissive of lots of rap songs before I've even heard them, not really giving them a chance. Been trying to stop this recently and I do actually enjoy quite a lot of rap songs I hear.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Mar 15 2016, 09:56 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

i used to stick closely with artists/ groups i knew, and only purchase their albums.

now though, i am a member of the all music newsletter (all the new releases each friday), and that's encouraged me to buy stuff i may not have heard to experiment with it.

also internet radio has helped me discover artists who may not be so familiar (i used to not know who bzn are), now they are a group i can't live without

i am also like you when it comes to rap.

when i was younger i had a friend who loved eminem, she convinced me to join the eminem online forums, listen to all his music, read the latest about him and his family.. etc etc.

and i liked it. eminem turned out to be a bit of an addiction.

but at the time, that was all the rap i knew about

it's only very very recently- i purchased an album by a diffrent rapper (mac miller) and trying to get in to other rap artists

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Mar 15 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #3
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I've been experimenting for years, the only 'other' music for me I guess now is stuff like folk and world music which I'm always trying to find more of. That's what keeps me going with music, that there can always be something interesting out there.

It's like, I have months and weeks and days where I want to only listen to dance, or listen to some really boisterous bubblegum pop, or listen to cool credible indie bands, or crack out the best rap I have, or just go with my hard rock stalwarts. So so much of music is already in my remit that there isn't a lot of stuff I'd consider strange to listen to. And that's a good thing, I'm glad I've got to that stage, it means I can connect with almost anyone on at least something they like.

If you are thinking that you don't like much about a genre, go to what people generally consider its best artists and listen through a few of their hits. Soul/RnB is my least favourite of the main genres, I find slow soul crooning so often dull but I keep Aretha Franklin's hits on my iTunes for example because she's mostly rather good. Though as I established in that thread, I'm also just a bit of a collector that way.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Mar 15 2016, 07:06 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I think my taste just naturally flows and evolves, it's interesting to think about. There isn't really a genre of music that I can say I hate, and I'm generally very open to new musical experiences. There's always going to be stuff that I'm not really that into or that I won't end up going back to much, or at all, but my taste just changes over time it seems, while keeping the elements it had in the first place still intact. I'm going through a period at the moment though where I'm kind of neglecting a lot of the music that I used to listen to a lot, because there's almost an overload of music and information in the world at all times, and because I'm so receptive, I keep finding new things that I like and listening to those a lot and sort of almost forgetting some of the older things that I used to listen to all the time. I'm trying to keep track of so much new music at the moment and it can be difficult to remember everything I told myself I would listen to but still haven't, heh...

So I don't think it's so much a case of experimenting for me, at least not consciously, I don't really sit down and think "I'm going to listen to [enter music genre] today", it just seems to happen as a natural process that I get drawn to new things constantly when it comes to music, so my taste is bound to change or develop every once in a while. I used to not like electronic music as a kid (maybe I was exposed to the "wrong" kinds), but now I find that I'm probably slightly more excited about that than rock, for example. But the thing is, I still listen to rock, it's just more certain artists maybe, some of my favourite artists are rock artists. But I don't necessarily sit down and try to look for a rock artist I've never heard. I'm probably more likely to look for something experimental these days if I'm craving something new. I could add though that at the moment I am craving a new rock album, something with "fuzzy" guitars or whatever, I feel like I need more of that right now. I don't want the rock side of me to disappear just because I have found more things in the musical world. I want it to always be a genre that I'm into. It probably will be, I'm just a bit more selective about it now perhaps.

It might actually be a cool idea to sit down and actually get myself to properly listen to things I rarely listen to though, rather than letting those types of music just suddenly "come to me", followed by me realising that I actually like them. I never really thought about it like that!

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Mar 15 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #5
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Pretty much all the time, I like to go through Spotifys related artists a lot and sometimes I end up with an artist who couldn't be further from where I started genre wise, which is often pretty cool. I like most genres to some extent, I just always consider rock and pop punk music to be my comfort zone tongue.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Mar 15 2016, 07:24 PM

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Mar 16 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ Mar 15 2016, 06:46 PM) *
I've been experimenting for years, the only 'other' music for me I guess now is stuff like folk and world music which I'm always trying to find more of. That's what keeps me going with music, that there can always be something interesting out there.

It's like, I have months and weeks and days where I want to only listen to dance, or listen to some really boisterous bubblegum pop, or listen to cool credible indie bands, or crack out the best rap I have, or just go with my hard rock stalwarts. So so much of music is already in my remit that there isn't a lot of stuff I'd consider strange to listen to. And that's a good thing, I'm glad I've got to that stage, it means I can connect with almost anyone on at least something they like.

If you are thinking that you don't like much about a genre, go to what people generally consider its best artists and listen through a few of their hits. Soul/RnB is my least favourite of the main genres, I find slow soul crooning so often dull but I keep Aretha Franklin's hits on my iTunes for example because she's mostly rather good. Though as I established in that thread, I'm also just a bit of a collector that way.

not a fan of soul either.

worst for me is jazz though.

i don't get what's so good about it

+Quote Post
Colm
post Mar 16 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #7
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

As far as I'm concerned there's no "other" music. There's just music.

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Mar 16 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #8
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(bipolar angel @ Mar 16 2016, 10:01 AM) *
not a fan of soul either.

worst for me is jazz though.

i don't get what's so good about it
It's so chilled is what's so good. As a singer it's so much fun to just lay back on that beat, especially on classics like "Mack The Knife" or "Fly Me To The Moon". Aside from the occasional heart-wrenching song you can't take jazz too seriously, it's a lot of fun if you take the time to get into it. But then 'jazz' is such a broad genre, the commonality is mainly instrumentation, the use of 'unusual chords' like 7ths 9ths and so on and the unusual timing. In my mid teens I had next to no interest in jazz whatsoever but developed a love for it in my late teens from artists from such as Frank Sinatra, Robbie Williams' (swing albums) and Madeleine Peyroux (love her so much) to the other end of the spectrum with bands like The Cat Empire who incorporate Reggae, Latin, Ska and even rock elements into their songs. That's not to say it's even my favourite genre but I find it disheartening (not having a dig honestly) that so many people don't take the time to develop a potential interest, but then again it's not at it's peak of popularity and it's not for everyone.

For me, it's things like dance, hip-hop, metal- it usually takes something extra interesting for me to want to look at those.. and yet some of my top artists come from those genres. Certainly metal, while I'm not so into the really heavy stuff (never liked dirty vocals/screamo much), I really like Nightwish and Linkin Park (the latter being admittedly borderline hard rock/ nu metal but close enough).

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Mar 16 2016, 04:40 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jacob Alan @ Mar 16 2016, 04:23 PM) *
It's so chilled is what's so good. As a singer it's so much fun to just lay back on that beat, especially on classics like "Mack The Knife" or "Fly Me To The Moon". Aside from the occasional heart-wrenching song you can't take jazz too seriously, it's a lot of fun if you take the time to get into it. But then 'jazz' is such a broad genre, the commonality is mainly instrumentation, the use of 'unusual chords' like 7ths 9ths and so on and the unusual timing. In my mid teens I had next to no interest in jazz whatsoever but developed a love for it in my late teens from artists from such as Frank Sinatra, Robbie Williams' (swing albums) and Madeleine Peyroux (love her so much) to the other end of the spectrum with bands like The Cat Empire who incorporate Reggae, Latin, Ska and even rock elements into their songs. That's not to say it's even my favourite genre but I find it disheartening (not having a dig honestly) that so many people don't take the time to develop a potential interest, but then again it's not at it's peak of popularity and it's not for everyone.

For me, it's things like dance, hip-hop, metal- it usually takes something extra interesting for me to want to look at those.. and yet some of my top artists come from those genres. Certainly metal, while I'm not so into the really heavy stuff (never liked dirty vocals/screamo much), I really like Nightwish and Linkin Park (the latter being admittedly borderline hard rock/ nu metal but close enough).

I rarely get proper excited about what I would call "pure" jazz, but I think there are probably actually a lot of jazz influences in some of the music I listen to, it's just often more subtle. I really like the band Koop, they bring something a little different to it and make it contemporary with the techniques they use or whatever. There's quite a lot of electronic musicians that use jazz elements (often subtle), acid jazz or whatever. That kind of stuff can appeal to me, not always 100% though, sometimes it can get a little boring if you listen for too long and can be too repetitive for what it is (normally I don't have a problem with repetition in music, often I enjoy it, it just depends).

That's one of the things I like about music, theoretically everything can pretty much go with everything else. You can have a synthy electronic/trip-hop track but then have some jazzy brass on it at the same time etc. And brass in rock songs >>>>>

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Mar 16 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #10
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

oh god i don't get jazz and soul either. especially jazz. it makes me so uneasy. like i feel ridiculously more relaxed when i listen to weird glitch drone noise music which can literally hurt your ears than when i (am forced to) listen to jazz music.

but yeah there's really no 'other' music in itself. all depends on what you are used to. it took me a few years but now i am used to all kinds of genres and can like songs from any of them.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 16 2016, 05:00 PM
Post #11
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I like most types of music, althouh my faves tend a bit pop/country/R&B saturated. A genre wouldn't stop me liking a song, but in general I'm not a huge fan of classical, jazz or really heavy rock/metal. Still, there will be a handful of songs from those genres I do like. I'd get quite bored just listening to the same sort of thing all the time personally and sometimes a song outside of your comfort zone can really hit you just for being so different.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Mar 16 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #12
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

i will admit I'm very dismissive when it comes to certain genres but there's just a load of stuff I'd never want to listen to and I think that's fine. barely anyone can honestly say they like all types of music.

offenders include
- heavy rock / metal
- jazz / blues
- folk / 'world' music
- country
- boyband style teen-pop

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Mar 16 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #13
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Mar 16 2016, 04:40 PM) *
I rarely get proper excited about what I would call "pure" jazz, but I think there are probably actually a lot of jazz influences in some of the music I listen to, it's just often more subtle. I really like the band Koop, they bring something a little different to it and make it contemporary with the techniques they use or whatever. There's quite a lot of electronic musicians that use jazz elements (often subtle), acid jazz or whatever. That kind of stuff can appeal to me, not always 100% though, sometimes it can get a little boring if you listen for too long and can be too repetitive for what it is (normally I don't have a problem with repetition in music, often I enjoy it, it just depends).

That's one of the things I like about music, theoretically everything can pretty much go with everything else. You can have a synthy electronic/trip-hop track but then have some jazzy brass on it at the same time etc.

Little Dragon wub.gif

I love that sound! I'll need to look for more Koop. smile.gif
I can see how that could be the case, with some 'pure' genres, depending on the mood I'm in it sometimes needs that extra something to make it interesting. Have you heard of Gramatik? All instrumentals, an electronic sound made up of often remixed jazzy tunes. But I guess you'd primarily call him trip hop, downtempo, electro-swing. He gives his stuff away free, I'd recommend Coffee Shop Collection if you're interested. http://www.gramatik.net/discography/
I actually heard a few of his songs when I was out with friends a couple of weeks ago, was so strange since I'd thought he was relatively unknown- love it when that happens. biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, I love cross genres. Electro-swing's a great one, as is jazz-rock. Classical-rock crossover too.

And brass in rock songs >>>>>
Yes! And sax in rock songs!

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Mar 16 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jacob Alan @ Mar 16 2016, 06:12 PM) *
Have you heard of Gramatik?

Don't think so! Will check out biggrin.gif I can already imagine what it's like and I'd say I'll like it music.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 10:02 AM