BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FINAL RESULTS: Least favourite ROALD DAHL classic~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Mar 21 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I've heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true.

In second place and taking home the silver ticket medal is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The story is inspired by Dahl's own cravings for chocolate growing up and it's the daring tale of a poor, hungry boy making it big time with the help of a bit of luck and magic. It's the story that all children dream could come true, wandering around a magical, fantastical chocolate factory filled to the brim with mind-blowing gadgets and awe-inspiring delights. It features a larger than life cast of characters and is wonderfully told merging humour with the macabre and the very make-believe with startling reality. A worthy runner up!

The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives.

It became pretty obvious what the winner would be a few rounds into this, but this really is a phenomenal performance. Matilda is first and foremost a book about childhood. It centres on a young girl who is besotted with reading and literature and learning. She is the most likable and relate-able character in all of Dahl's ouvre I would argue and the one character that speaks most to children around the world. Disenfranchised at times from her family and those that are in control of her life, but possessing an innate magic that is both indescribable and uncontrollable. She is a special girl not solely because of her brilliant mind but because of her kind nature and her well-spirited manner in the face of adversity. The book is hilarious, featuring a wealth of incredible characters from the vicious Wormwood parents to the gigantic horror of the Trunchbull. It's an imaginative tale set in the most familiar place known to children and with that it is easy to see why it has enthralled readers for years and why it will continue to do so. A timeless tale of magic and wonder a superb winner. A true classic.

01. Matilda
02. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (19 votes, 70.37%)
03. The BFG (19 votes, 55.88%)
04. James and the Giant Peach (10 votes, 50.00%)
05. The Twits (16 votes, 45.71%)
06. The Witches (11 votes, 33.33%)
07. Fantastic Mr Fox (11 votes, 30.56%)
08. George's Marvellous Medicine (9 votes, 40.91%)
09. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (9 votes, 27.27%)
10. Danny the Champion of the World (16 votes, 48.48%)
12. Esio Trot (16 votes, 28.57%)
12. The Enormous Crocodile (16 votes, 28.57%)
14. The Magic Finger (14 votes, 19.72%)
14. The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me (14 votes, 19.72%)
15. Boy: Tales of Childhood (17 votes, 19.32%)
16. Going Solo (23 votes, 26.14%)

Thank you to everyone that has taken part and enjoyed these polls. I wasn't sure what response it would get but it's totally surpassed any expectations. I hope it's allowed you to revisit some of Dahl's work too and relive some of your own childhood memories reading these glorious, magical classics! Remember~

No book ever ends, when itís full of your friends...

heart.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Mar 21 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and youíre gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Omg I have got to watch it tonight heart.gif haven't seen it nearly enough times as Choccy nono.gif

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Mar 21 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif the perfect top 2 cheer.gif and of course the perfect winner! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Mar 21 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #4
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

Would have preferred Charlie and the chocolate factory but good winners in the end

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Mar 21 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

impressed enough with the results.

*waits for the next poll*

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Mar 21 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #6
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Would have preferred a Charlie win, that's my favourite Dahl book and an all time classic heart.gif

However I also love Matilda and got tickets today to finally see the stage show so I'm really excited for that!

+Quote Post
Slade
post Mar 21 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #7
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Perfect winner. wub.gif Must re-visit the book and/or film soon.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Mar 21 2016, 10:38 PM
Post #8
unofficially fabulous
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,342

Perfect winner. I remember the film being pretty good as far as Americanized remakes of British books go (and Trunchbull was a bad-ass in it) so might see if that's anywhere on the internet soon.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Mar 22 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #9
Henrietta R Hippo
Member No.: 13,007

The film is spectacular. It perfectly captures the magic of the book. Being such a huge fan of the book I was convinced the film wouldn't match up to it but it does and then some. One of my all time favourite films!

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Mar 22 2016, 04:28 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Mar 22 2016, 07:14 AM) *
The film is spectacular. It perfectly captures the magic of the book. Being such a huge fan of the book I was convinced the film wouldn't match up to it but it does and then some. One of my all time favourite films!

i've seen it so many times that i can recognize a lot of the voices, and a lot of the quotes, without even seeing it

i remember a few weeks ago i was eating dinner with my sister michelle and she was watching it on her laptop

all of a sudden i blurted out, are you watching matilda?

she was stunned, she asked me- i am, but how do you know?

and i said.. oh, just by the sound of mr wormwood's voice.

not sure if that's totally sad that i've seen it so many times i don't even have to see it to know it's on, or if it's actually kinda cool

hmm
working on it

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 08:41 PM