BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Passport renewal
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheGhostPensmith
post Mar 26 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #1
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

I was just wondering if Buzzjackers could clarify something for me here.

I'm going away to Ireland (my first trip abroad with friends) for a long weekend in July. My passport expires in September, but speaking to a friend of mine apparently your current passport needs to be within six months' validity before travelling. Is this correct, and if so, should I be looking at getting renewals etc sorted out now?

Many thanks in advance etc smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Mar 26 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I've never heard of this being a thing before, but I guess better safe than sorry! Check the gov.uk website I guess? (plus if you are going to get it renewed I'd do it quickly, as it can take a few weeks for it to be done tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Rudolph
post Mar 26 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #3
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 2

You can get the passport fast checked at the post office, but you have to pay extra for that, I don't know how much it is now. But you can still use the old one if its still in date, as far as I know.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Mar 26 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah for some countries it is advised to have 6 months remaining on the expiry date, as Lotti says you can check gov.uk travel advice for clarification as to whether Ireland is one of these countries.

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Mar 26 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #5
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

The travel agent always tells us we need six months left on date of return, can't be sure whether that applies EVERYWHERE or whether Ireland is an exception though as it's not somewhere I've been

QUOTE(Mart!n @ Mar 26 2016, 07:00 PM) *
You can get the passport fast checked at the post office, but you have to pay extra for that, I don't know how much it is now. But you can still use the old one if its still in date, as far as I know.

I had mine renewed last summer and it cost about an extra 10 to have it checked at the post office first (on top of the 72 fee). Got my new one through the post in about a week!

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Mar 26 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I have to admit, despite living in Ireland and travelling to and from it every so often, I had never heard before either that your passport has to be within six months' validity! I looked it up just now because I found it curious. I didn't actually see it being said on gov.uk, but another website said that Ireland is indeed one of the countries where your passport needs to be valid for at least six months from the date of departure. So I'd get it renewed if I were you.

+Quote Post
TheGhostPensmith
post Mar 26 2016, 07:46 PM
Post #7
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Mar 26 2016, 07:39 PM) *
I have to admit, despite living in Ireland and travelling to and from it every so often, I had never heard before either that your passport has to be within six months' validity! I looked it up just now because I found it curious. I didn't actually see it being said on gov.uk, but another website said that Ireland is indeed one of the countries where your passport needs to be valid for at least six months from the date of departure. So I'd get it renewed if I were you.

As I thought smile.gif

Mart!n - is that the check and send service? I'll probably do that then.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 26 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

A lot of countries do insist on your passport having at least six months to run, but Ireland is an exception. They will allow a British passport right up to the expiry date. They used to accept a driving license as well, but that may not be true any more.

+Quote Post
Ryan.
post Mar 26 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,608
   No Gallery Pics

I know from my visit last year that Cyprus is another one who doesn't require six months validity, maybe it's a Commonwealth thing or could just be coincidence!

That said from reading online, it seems that airlines have their own rules most of the time so worth checking with them too.

+Quote Post
Atonement
post Mar 28 2016, 02:06 PM
Post #10
Girl, put in work.
Member No.: 10,676
   No Gallery Pics

Does anyone happen to know if the UK has this 6-month rule? I have to renew my password for nine months now and me and some friends have plans to go to London in June (I'm from The Netherlands).

+Quote Post
Jack
post Mar 28 2016, 08:33 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

It would class as a domestic flight if you're flying from the UK so you wouldn't even need a passport, just photographic valid ID. I always got these sort of queries when I worked in easyJet smile.gif.

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Mar 28 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

QUOTE(Jack @ Mar 28 2016, 09:33 PM) *
It would class as a domestic flight if you're flying from the UK so you wouldn't even need a passport, just photographic valid ID. I always got these sort of queries when I worked in easyJet smile.gif.

I don't think that the Irish Republic would be classed as domestic as it isn't the same country.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Mar 28 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #13
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Due to historic links I could imagine it being domestic. Irish people can vote in referendums etc as residents in the UK without problem for example.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Mar 28 2016, 11:26 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

You don't need a passport to travel to Ireland OP. We've been a lot as my dad was Irish so I know.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 09:38 PM