BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Swearing, u fooken wot m8
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Slade
post Mar 30 2016, 02:20 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I was just wondering what you guys thought of swearing and your personal stance on it?

My dad in particular swears a lot but my mum has always been careful swearing around us, actively discouraging us from doing so. I think due to this, I've always felt really awkward about swearing in person, I think it sounds weird coming out of my mouth. laugh.gif I'm generally rather polite in person so I don't swear an awful lot at all, and never in front of my family. It does sometimes drop into private conversations over the Internet when something is driving me a bit crazy but I find that I don't really swear much in general.

As for others, it doesn't really bother me unless it comes off in a gratuitous way. Sometimes it can be effective to enhance a situation.

What about you guys? Do you swear a lot in real life/over the Internet if at all? And what do you think of others doing it? Would be interested to know~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Mar 30 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #2
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

I swear way too much. The amount of cursewords and diseases that match it is just ...

+Quote Post
MauriahChristmaz
post Mar 30 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I swear a lot but usually in private or when I'm with friends and no diseases. I don't regret it though sometimes you just need to swear.

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Mar 30 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

when i was 8, i was exposed to southpark. encouraged to watch it, and encouraged to use the words they say in the show (not the best upbringing in the world)

i do swear- i don't go around swearing though

if something's bothering me, sure. i'll say something like.. oh for f*** sake or f*** this shit

and i'm constantly telling people to "f*** off, or "piss off"

can i just say that "f***" is 1 word in the english language i'm so glad was invented

when it comes from others, i'm not shocked by it. i do it enough myself, so why should i be shocked

on the subject of swearing, let me ask you all... when is the right age to introduce your child to swear words?

as stated above, my parents introduced me to them when i was 8, which i thought at the time far too young.

but i also think in the moddern world we live in, children are going to find out 1 way or another- and learning these things young may not actually be a bad idea (providing the parent has good control over them)

it's a good debate i think.. some people shelter their children too and they end up growing up not knowing anything

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Mar 30 2016, 02:31 PM
Post #5
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I think the only 'swear' word I'd say around my parents is shit, and even then I'm a bit like oops, shoulda said crap instead laugh.gif I do say shit a lot, both on and offline, i swear a fair amount when I'm talking to certain people over facebook or whatever but I don't actually swear irl or if i do, it's like mumbling f*** under my breath after just spilling an entire tub of smokey bean salad bar mix down the front of my apron at work mellow.gif

But yea, I think your upbringing has a big affect on how often you swear, if you're brought up being taught its wrong then you're not really going to do it but if your parents swear pretty freely then it's only natural you're going to pick that up. I don't mind swearing if its necessary but a lot of the time it isn't, which sometimes irks me but I probably wouldn't call someone out on swearing too much, like it's not that much of an issue. It's different if they're swearing at you though laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Mar 30 2016, 02:39 PM
Post #6
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I very rarely swear in front of my parents, and even then it's just a word like "piss" laugh.gif I swear most when I'm alone and the computer is annoying me :') otherwise, I use them now and them but don't overdo it because it's not necessary all of the time.

I don't mind it in songs either for the most part, sometimes I find it way too much and would prefer a clean version but that's not often.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Mar 30 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #7
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

I always swear, try to limit it when around small children though laugh.gif that can end badly.

+Quote Post
Klampus
post Mar 30 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #8
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

When I was a kid, I never used to swear at all but it's just become completely natural for me now. However, people are always surprised when they first notice that I've sworn. laugh.gif

I guess maybe because I don't overuse swear words and will only swear when I feel like it's natural to do so. I hate those people who just say 'f***ing' before every noun. Maybe its also because I swear loads to myself (ie in thoughts or under my breath) that I don't realise I don't actually swear that much when talking to people!

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Mar 30 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #9
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I always like limiting it. It's become harder for me to force through some of the worse ones when they're needed lately as I know overuse leads to lack of impact. I like to save it (out loud of course) for when I really want people to take notice of what I've said.

It just looks/sounds crass when it's not needed and really not doing it has given me a good challenge of finding alternative ways to express my feelings.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Mar 30 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #10
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

I swear PROFUSELY. My family dislike it so I do try my best to tone it down with them, but genuinely you'd be hard pressed to have a conversation with me and it NOT contain at least a handful of swear words. I don't really have an issue with it from others either, obviously, so long as it's used for impact rather than simply as an adjective. Like yeah I do swear a LOT, but that's usually because I am deeply passionate person so I usually use it for impact, but when people just add swear words into a sentence for no reason then I find it a bit much.

+Quote Post
AdamAloud
post Mar 30 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #11
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
Member No.: 11,955

I didn't swear until I started working in retail.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Mar 30 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #12
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

Saying that, I do feel I overuse the word 'c**t', so I've been making a very conscious effort not to use it unless I TRULY mean it. For such a powerful word to lose its meaning would truly darken my world.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Mar 30 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #13
Jemma Lucy of t Seet

QUOTE(Maurice @ Mar 30 2016, 02:26 PM) *
I swear a lot but usually in private or when I'm with friends and no diseases. I don't regret it though sometimes you just need to swear.

omg I think cursing with diseases is a Dutch thing laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Mar 30 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #14
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I never swore as a child and still won't around my family. My sister swears in front of my mum and dad now which makes me cringe a little because I still can't do it. I swear occasionally with friends, obviously have to frown upon it in school and I use it for emphasis/humour online.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Mar 30 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #15
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

I only swear with my friends really I dont swear in front of my family I find it disrespectful if I do laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Mar 30 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #16
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(*Tim @ Mar 30 2016, 03:53 PM) *

Yes I was wondering what you both meant by 'with diseases' so I Googled it and it came up with 'Dutch profanity'! laugh.gif You learn something new every day haha.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Mar 30 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #17
masala me
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Qween @ Mar 30 2016, 03:53 PM) *
Saying that, I do feel I overuse the word 'c**t', so I've been making a very conscious effort not to use it unless I TRULY mean it. For such a powerful word to lose its meaning would truly darken my world.

That's the one I was mainly thinking of. Although at this point I struggle to type it uncensored unless it's really necessary.

Though I'm also partial to holding back my f-bombs until those are called for. 'Shit' I almost let myself have free reign on as there's not much to overuse.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Mar 30 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #18
Jemma Lucy of t Seet

QUOTE(Jade @ Mar 30 2016, 02:57 PM) *
Yes I was wondering what you both meant by 'with diseases' so I Googled it and it came up with 'Dutch profanity'! laugh.gif You learn something new every day haha.

We have so many diseases we use, it's shameful really.

EDIT: Omy reading through that wiki page is making me ashamed of my language laugh.gif
The fact that I use those so much is...

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 30 2016, 03:02 PM
Post #19
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I swear way too much but only around the "right" people, like my friends. I do swear in front of my mum too because she does herself and doesn't mind it, she's fairly relaxed.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Mar 30 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #20
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(*Tim @ Mar 30 2016, 03:53 PM) *

This is still confusing me, even after me asking you about it laugh.gif Can you give an example please? kink.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 10:13 AM