BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lounge Quizzes 2016 | SIGNUP THREAD, plan for future hosts in first post, peep if u've volunteered ~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Michael Bubré
post Apr 18 2016, 02:25 AM
Post #1
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

ROUGH GUIDELINE FOR FUTURE HOSTS
09 | Joe. FF / Johnkm (whatever quiz he plans to do)
10 | Andr00w Pointless / Cameron music video screenshot thingy
11 | Taylor Jago FF / Jade NMTBJ
12 | Dobbo Pointless
13 | Liam FF
~
14 | HausofKubrick Pointless?
15 | Michael FF?
16 | LeeWallace Pointless?
17 | Mattias FF?
18 | Jacob Alan Pointless?

hi.gif Finally getting around to posting this ~

Please post in this thread if you're interested in hosting a Lounge Quiz, preferably stating which quiz format(s) you might be interested in hosting and if there's any restrictions on when you'll be able to host (i.e. because you're busy / away at some particular time). I'll give priority to people who posted in the previous signup thread but didn't get to host back then (please post again in here if you're still interested though), and to people who didn't host a quiz last year whether or not they wanted to, so this year isn't a total repeat of last year's hosts. However, if you did host last year and want to again this year, please do sign up again anyway! I'm sure there'll be room x

Hosting a quiz is a lot of fun (I think most would agree ;o) but do be warned it can also be quite a lot of work (and people WILL nitpick any tiny mistakes in the results xx). I'll be trusting you to stay committed to it. With that said, anyone can volunteer to host a quiz so don't be afraid if you are interested ;o

(you don't need to read the following wall of text if you're familiar with how the quizzes work)

~

Like last year, we will be aiming to alternate between Family Fortunes and Pointless from week to week, to keep people on their toes ~ and because these tend to be the most popular of the quizzes. A summary of these formats (though most of you will probably know this already):

Family Fortunes
Host sets (around) 10 questions and players answer what they think the MOST popular answer will be.
Scoring: Players score one point for each other player who gives the same answer as them on a given question (so if 5 people answer the question 'name a colour' with 'brown', they each earn 4 points). Hosts can play themselves. I trust you not to cheat.
Guidance: Questions should not be too niche (ideally people should be able to answer them without having to use Google, though Googling is allowed), and ideally should not be questions with a single blatantly obvious answer (e.g. 'name a song by El Chombo'). I'll ask you to send a copy of your proposed questions to me so they can be quickly reviewed by the Lounge Mods for any clearly unsuitable questions before approving the round.

Pointless
Host sets (around) 10 questions and players answer what they think the LEAST popular CORRECT answer will be.
Scoring: Points are awarded in the same way as Family Fortunes for all correct answers. Incorrect answers are given what would be the highest possible score (i.e. one less than the number of players). The player with the FEWEST points at the end is the winner. An answer given by one person and no one else is a 'pointless' answer, as it scores 0 points. Hosts can play themselves. I still trust you not to cheat.
Guidance: Questions should have a finite list of possible answers, not too many but also not too few (in general I find that about 10-20 different answers for a question is a decent number to aim for so Pointless answers are achievable but quite rare). People will generally try to find loopholes so you may want to word your questions quite carefully (or maybe not, if you don't mind those loophole answers! After all, that is pretty much the only reliable strategy for doing well in Pointless, other than 'being named Noahspike' magic.gif) Overly niche questions should be avoided here as well. As with FF, I'll ask for you to send in proposed questions to be approved by the Lounge Mods.

However, I also hope that, if people are interested in hosting them, we can also run some other quizzes alongside these main ones as we did last year. The two other 'classic' recurring quiz formats:

Never Mind The BuzzJacks
Host creates a SoundCloud medley of short clips from (around) 20 songs and players guess what the songs are.
Scoring: Typically players simply earn one point for each correct guess. Sometimes half marks are awarded for getting an artist correct but not the song. Bonus questions can also be set for extra points. The host obviously cannot play themselves (this does not affect your ability to do well on the Leaderboard as you can still earn points from the weekly FF/Pointless).
Guidance: It's a bit subjective how difficult a round of NMTBJ is so the Lounge Mods will not review a round before it is posted. However, do try your best to pick songs that people CAN guess, but not necessarily too easily (for example, maybe not a good idea to include an album track from a 1997 symphonic metal album that peaked at #31 in Finland, but also maybe don't include the current UK #1). Making a round of NMTBJ may seem a bit ~technical~ but it's not too difficult really, RabbitFurCoat provided some easy to follow instructions back when this was first a thing.

Album Cover Puzzle
Host creates a collage of cropped parts from (around) 20 album (or single if you want) covers and players guess what those albums are. Here's an example ~
Scoring: The host decides in their own subjective way how many points each album is worth based on how difficult they think it is to guess. Typically the total number of points should add up to a round number like 100. Bonus questions can also be set for extra points. The host obviously cannot play themselves (this does not affect your ability to do well on the Leaderboard as you can still earn points from the weekly FF/Pointless).
Guidance: Again, difficulty is subjective so these rounds will not be reviewed by the Lounge Mods, but you'll want to avoid album covers that literally no one will recognise, because then probably no one will enter (unless they're after the free Leaderboard points if participation is under 30 magic.gif).

However, I am open to any new idea you may have for a quiz. Last year we had Johnkm's The Connecting Wall for example. It was good fun even though I forgot to enter it and barely anyone else did either (oops). If you want to have a go at that or any other novel idea, feel free to suggest it! x
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Apr 18 2016, 02:27 AM
Post #2

(looking for someone to host a Pointless round pretty much ASAP x)

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Apr 18 2016, 03:10 AM
Post #3
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

I'm up for hosting a pointless or family fortunes asap!

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Apr 18 2016, 07:03 AM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I'm interested in hosting a FF, I don't really mind when! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Apr 18 2016, 07:23 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

As discussed, I'd like to do a FF.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Apr 18 2016, 07:33 AM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I'll do one! Not sure which one yet but I'll go in a few weeks cool.gif

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post Apr 18 2016, 09:14 AM
Post #7
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

I don't recall whether I did one last year or anything but I'll put my name down for a Pointless since we've had a couple of people saying FF already (and I'm hosting a FF right now in the Movies forum #cheapPlug)

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Apr 18 2016, 12:13 PM
Post #8
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Bré @ Apr 18 2016, 03:25 AM) *
(for example, maybe not a good idea to include an album track from a 1997 symphonic metal album that peaked at #31 in Finland

And why ever not?

I was hoping there'd be some guidance put up, I'd agree with all of that. Except maybe that the odd niche question could work as long as it's structured in a way that most people won't be picking something at random off of a Google search, and if people can easily find something by googling the keywords in the question - to give some personality to the person hosting if nothing else. I mean, I like using Google to find out new stuff and have never had a problem with using it for FF/Pointless because it never gives you an inherent advantage, some people don't prefer to use that. And questions that people have literally no knowledge of (like if I put 'name an episode title from x anime'), do in fact make Pointless the random quiz people sometimes complain it is - its nuances I find rely on people recognising patterns in the list of answers and picking likely obscure/popular answers. In any case the Lounge Mods will decide what works (and I'll help them x).

Oh and I love loopholes in Pointless. I'd support people wording their questions carefully, but have a clear idea of what loopholes you're going to allow from the outset - and then don't make it obvious what those are through things like asterisks (rather use those to clarify wording) or people spilling the secrets in the thread - but make it so that people who really know the subject have a good chance of picking out loopholes to risk.

And put me down for a Pointless to go in a few weeks or later - I hosted a NMTBJ last year so when it comes around to my turn I'd like to go for one of the main two and well, I was still a Lounge Mod the last time I hosted a Pointless.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Apr 18 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #9
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I'd like to host a Never Mind the Buzzjacks, it's been a while since I've hosted this, only gotta hope that Soundcloud doesn't take it down instantly dry.gif Preferably I would rather do this after the 3rd of May if that's alright

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Apr 18 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #10
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

I'd volunteer but we all know y'all might not get the results

Although from the first week of May I'll have a lot of time to myself so put me down for FF or Pointless x

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Apr 18 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #11
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I'm still in contention for FF since I signed up last year yay biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Apr 18 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

I'd like to do a Pointless, don't mind when!

+Quote Post
TheGrinch
post Apr 18 2016, 03:37 PM
Post #13
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

#BringBackDealOrNoDeal

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Apr 18 2016, 03:42 PM
Post #14
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(LeeWallace @ Apr 18 2016, 04:37 PM) *
#BringBackDealOrNoDeal

THIS

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Apr 18 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #15
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

Up for both, just need to find another question to complete my set of 10.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Apr 18 2016, 04:39 PM
Post #16
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I'd like to do a SOLO (with help from Brrer or Lerrr with the spreadsheets n tallies pls) Family Fortunes pls.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Apr 18 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #17
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I would like to do a Pointless maybe

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Apr 18 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #18

Thank you to those who have signed up, keep the signups coming anyone else who wants to x

As J▲hq was the first person to volunteer to host a Pointless who didn't host a quiz last year (sorry Sam!), he shall be hosting Lounge Quiz 2, which should hopefully be up tonight!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 18 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #19
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

I'd love to do a NMTBJ amongst all the pointless and FFs!

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Apr 18 2016, 06:35 PM
Post #20
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I feel like it's time to COMPLETE the trilogy of disastrous, but well intentioned, FAILURES. So I will host one of these if you'll have me. It won't be one from the above list though (unless I want to reclaim the album cover puzzle).

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 03:27 PM