BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need help and advice... History Degree Prospects?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ML Hammer95
post Apr 29 2016, 08:13 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,265

I've been evaluating my life recently and I think should leave my hometown and move away. Getting increasingly restless seeing everybody else around live their lives. I'll only be 21 in September, so not too old to finally go to university. Part of me wants to be around people my own age and interests, party and have fun. There are times I get lonely at home.

There's a Modern History & Politics course in Cardiff that interests me. Only an hour from home and History has been a passion in my life. Question is, what job prospects would I have afterwards? Currently have 3 A Levels (BBB) and a Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Retail Management. I don't think I'm too late for university this year, although I am pushing it a bit.

Currently finishing my apprenticeship with Aldi, but I really feel I've got to leave or I'll have regrets about not having fun with my life while I'm young. Could go travelling I suppose too.

Need some help and advice...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Apr 29 2016, 08:26 AM
Post #2
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

Not sure about job aspects do you have a A level in history im not sure on every subject but having a A Level and a Univesity diploma does help.

I would lighly recommand university its great for social interaction with people around your age. It also is good education purposes my mum says 'stay in education for as long as you can'.

Tbh your never too old for univerisity but its better do it at your age as you can have fun more.

Also traveling is good too but depends if you are trying to find yourself or you know what you want to do in life

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Apr 29 2016, 08:45 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member

Yeah I have an A Level in History... Got an A* in A Level but a B at AS Level so it was a borderline B/A overall.

The social side is a big draw for me. I'm more confident than I was at 18, so I feel like I'd fully embrace university for that. Travelling would be to 'find myself' I think.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Apr 29 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #4
Sit Down. Be Humble.

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Apr 29 2016, 09:45 AM) *
Yeah I have an A Level in History... Got an A* in A Level but a B at AS Level so it was a borderline B/A overall.

The social side is a big draw for me. I'm more confident than I was at 18, so I feel like I'd fully embrace university for that. Travelling would be to 'find myself' I think.

Are you a hardworker too because thr amount of work you will be given is another thing you need to consider.

Hmmm what ideally do you want to do when you decide on a career? First thing that pops up

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Apr 29 2016, 09:03 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Apr 29 2016, 09:51 AM) *
Are you a hardworker too because thr amount of work you will be given is another thing you need to consider.

Hmmm what ideally do you want to do when you decide on a career? First thing that pops up

Yeah I can definitely work hard... I did at school and I've stuck it at Aldi for three years (a notoriously pushing working environment).

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Apr 29 2016, 09:05 AM
Post #6
Sit Down. Be Humble.

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Apr 29 2016, 10:03 AM) *
Yeah I can definitely work hard... I did at school and I've stuck it at Aldi for three years (a notoriously pushing working environment).

Then uni seems right for you

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Apr 29 2016, 09:08 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Apr 29 2016, 10:05 AM) *
Then uni seems right for you

Fingers crossed I can get it then! Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Apr 29 2016, 09:10 AM
Post #8
Sit Down. Be Humble.

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Apr 29 2016, 10:08 AM) *
Fingers crossed I can get it then! Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated. smile.gif

No problem mate, any advice about university at all dont hessitate to drop me a PM smile.gif

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Apr 29 2016, 11:23 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Apr 29 2016, 10:10 AM) *
No problem mate, any advice about university at all dont hessitate to drop me a PM smile.gif

Thank you!

Any advice from anyone else would be gratefully received.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Apr 29 2016, 11:43 AM
Post #10
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Ah, ha. I've done variations of History and Politics at University for the past few years ML. An undergraduate in History & Classics and I'm doing a postgrad in International Relations - which is kind of like a politics degree...

Now honestly, while I haven't got a job out of the other side of this yet, barring you going into one of the few History-related jobs like an archivist, the main things employers will value you for on this kind of degree will be the skills you pick up while learning the history and political theory. Which could potentially lead me to a wide range of jobs after I have my postgrad, I don't know yet. It is risky in terms of obviously not leading to a definite job (prepare for the history teacher comments) but I think it's definitely one of the best degrees with an open end for your career. Although I may be biased.

The thing is, doing the course has, at least for me, changed the way I think, it's made me more verbose, it's heightened my ability to see both sides of an argument, it's made me very aware of how things said can be perceived, enabled me to critically analyse any piece of work (like understand the motivations why it's been written) and it's increased my working ability by so much more than I thought it would. Common to many university degrees but those skills you gain are why subject degrees remain things people do.

And I've had immense fun on the course learning about all the history I ever wanted to in huge detail. If it's been a passion in your life you've probably got a few areas of history you're really interested in, you'll probably be able to pick some modules about that. And of course the partying should be a draw but that's an area I only really delved into in my first year so I can't speak for that that much, although I will say being more mature at uni but not too old is probably an advantage, you have some experience of living outside the student bubble and should be a bit more grounded than some of the 18 year olds. It's definitely a good experience to have in your life if you are a hard worker, and I can see you are (with your experience you probably won't be like me and leave essays/assignments to the last minute every time)

Any more specific questions feel free to ask me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 10:44 PM