BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can you learn to sing just by singing?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
natashawatkins
post May 3 2016, 08:38 AM
Post #1
New Entry
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,235
   No Gallery Pics

I play the piano often, and I want to learn to sing so I can play songs with vocals. If I follow the correct singing techniques (deep breaths, straight posture, relaxed jaw, etc..), and sing along to playing songs on the piano, can I learn to sing well at one point? I've been told I sing off-tone, but my voice itself has potential. How can I go about this?

Are there any online resources that can help me ?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
laurievega600
post May 3 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #2
New Entry
Member No.: 23,236
   No Gallery Pics

What does "Singing well" mean to you? If you're attempting to go on Broadway, then definitely get lessons. If you just want to control pleasing tones with your voice, with proper discretion you may be able to get away with trial and error (although getting some form of guidance will make your life easier).

Essentially, depending on what kind of singing you're planning on doing, you can easily get away with producing pleasant tones with your voice to good music.

So yeah, it depends on what you want to do with your voice.

Make sure you do ear training so you can develop subtleties in pitch difference. No one likes a flat/sharp singer.

Here are some resources i found that can be helpfull to improve your singing abilities

www en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_to_Sing
www musical-hero.com/learn-to-sing/
www reddit.com/r/singing/wiki/basics

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 3 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Hm.

I guess the ability to sing is either there or it isn't. However I think I read somewhere that even if you don't think that you can sing, it helps to practice singing regularly,

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post May 3 2016, 09:42 AM
Post #4
Merry Christmas <3
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

^I disagree. Singing can be developed over years, just like learning any other instrument. You can't always control the tone you have (by that I mean your distinctiveness/ sound- not the pitch) and some people are always going to be better at it than others but I'd much rather listen to someone who's worked hard on their voice for years than someone who supposedly 'just has it' because even if they have a nice tone they could be making lots of basic errors.

Anyone (well almost anyone) can sing well if they practice enough but if you're really serious I'd suggest getting lessons, even if it's just a few to get you used to technique for 6 weeks or so. I was originally a self taught singer but I've had lessons for the past two and a half year (two different teachers - I moved) and the difference it's made to how I go about singing is phenomenal. I've not really ever been a pitchy singer myself however when I first started out I wasn't always dead on even though I knew I was missing notes because if your voice is un-exercised and untrained then it can be hard to keep control of where you're going. It's so easy to get into bad habits by yourself. That's not to say it can't be done but if you're not going to get lessons at least do a lot of research - make sure you're breathing from your diaphragm, do breathing exercises (one good one is to put on a low tempo piece of music and count bars for breathing in then out), don't strain to reach notes that are too high - range can be expanded but you have to be careful about it, just sing a lot. tongue.gif

Since you play piano that'll help, go through scales and sing along with them, and even more importantly- record yourself and listen back- even if it's just on your phone. Be critical (but not too harsh because it's all too easy to be hard on yourself). You should be able to tell if you're off key.

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: May 3 2016, 09:45 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 02:48 AM