BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The music taste of your friends/family, ♫
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HowToPronounceMa...
post May 5 2016, 04:20 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I've had this idea for a while, never got around to making it but it seems like the right time now because the topic came up amongst some of you today.

What kinds of things do your friends and family listen to? Do you have a lot in common musically with your friends in real life, or even on here? Would you say their tastes influenced you or did you develop your own taste more independently? Is it easier for you to find people with similar tastes as you on Buzzjack than anywhere else? etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post May 5 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

I find I don’t actually have a huge amount in common musically with many people in my real life (or many things in general, lol). The person who I feel I can always successfully recommend music to, and vice versa, is my sister. We do like a lot of the same things and it’s been nice sharing that with a sister. I have some friends whose music tastes overlap with mine somewhat, but it's mostly just bits and pieces, like certain rock artists or Portishead with one friend.

Even on here, I don't seem to have that much in common with some people I consider friends. Obviously there ARE some things, but overall I find that it's maybe easier for some of you to share a lot of music etc with each other tongue.gif Sometimes it can be a bit frustrating, but it's not an actual issue or anything, people just have different tastes. As I said, I do have some things in common, so... No one really has exactly the same taste as anyone else.

(I think I was gonna say something else but I lost what I had written and then I forgot it, damn)

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post May 5 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

My mums favourite singer is Sam Smith mellow.gif (she did like K3 when I played it the other day tho so she's partly forgiven)

I'm usually the one who ends up influencing other peoples music tastes laugh.gif I'm solely responsible for making my friendship group listen to Halsey cool.gif It varies between all of my friends, I have one friend who is super into pop music (especially Taylor Swift), another who prefers rock (she had a conversation with Lindsey the other day over FB and has given her a new BJSC potential!! kink.gif ) and then someone else who stans Madonna and Gaga for example! ohmy.gif I find myself discussing different types of music with different people which is quite nice as I consider myself to have quite a diverse music taste.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post May 5 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #4
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I wonder who was disucssing this? ohmy.gif kink.gif

Yea I don't think I 'inherited' my music taste from anyone, my mum is into Boyzone/Ronan Keating, Robbie Williams, Bryan Adams, Michael Buble, Adele but also the likes of Tom Jones, Seal and Meatloaf blink.gif My dad was into punk music as a teenager which is similar to me as I guess I do listen to that in some ways, but obviously 70s punk is a lot different to what's around nowadays (he often mocks the bands I listen to because of that laugh.gif). He is into rockier things I guess but rarely does his favourites cross with mine although I do like Blondie which he does too. His taste really is a bit of everything, I'll hear him listening to Madness day and then singing along to Little Mix on the TV the next :') He's also a big Tina Turner fan mellow.gif He describes my taste as awful, I don't know if he genuinely means that or just says it as he knows I get offended when people insult my favourite bands kink.gif

My friends have a similar taste in music to me but I don't really know a lot about what they listen to, I don't think they're into music as much as I am. We all are big fans of All Time Low so we've been to see them together twice, I know one of my friends likes Bring Me The Horizon and You Me At Six and she used to listen to Paramore (not sure if she's heard their self titled album) but I've talked about bands before and she's not known who they are, I'm pretty sure she really likes Elvis and Adele too and like 80s pop, but that could be as far as it goes for all I know laugh.gif One of my other friends likes Paramore too and is probably the biggest ATL fan out of us all, she likes a lot of different stuff, I know she likes Panic! At The Disco, Fleetwood Mac and Alice Cooper a lot and I recently found out she likes Melanie Martinez's album too. She saw Tonight Alive as a support band for All Time Low years and years ago and said she liked them so she's probably the one I have most in common musically with. The other girl in our group is very closed off, I don't know an awful lot about her despite being friends with her for nearly two years and it's not for lack of trying, I think she probably likes a bit of everything, Taylor Swift and The Black Keys are all I could name though unsure.gif. Against The Current supported All Time Low at the last concert we went to and they said they really liked them but I'm guessing they probably haven't listened to them again since, maybe when their album comes out I'll force it upon them wink.gif

As for Cameron, you all probably know how opposing our tastes are but I don't actually think they're that different, of course Cameron is way more into the pop stuff but I do like a fair bit of pop myself and we both grew up listening to the same stuff really, I think he can appreciate rock tracks too, as he's shown by his PVRIS stanning *.*

+Quote Post
dancember
post May 5 2016, 05:20 PM
Post #5
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

my family's music taste is very different to my own;

brother - listens to rock/metal bands.
mum - listens to radio 2 (and radio x in the morning as she likes Chris Moyles). she also has playlists of mostly indiepop and country songs that get played often at dinner after 7 when the R2 nighttime shows come on.
dad - listens to radio x (they're an indiepop station).

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post May 5 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

my family- no.

they listen to easy listening, reggae, jazz, not really my thing at all- i'm more pop/ rock/ dance.

i tend to stick to songs i like, and not always bother with all the new releases/ new artists, so no. i guess not with friends either- as they are usually way ahead in new music than i am.

i'll only listen to something new and upcoming if i somehow can't avoid it, or if it's an artist i enjoy (sia!)

i have her new album and it's great

the other thing i do is collect the now cds (i've been collecting them since 40), so get latest stuff on that.

but no.. i think in general i'm in my own world, and like my own stuff- who cares if no one likes some of the stuff i still do, that kind of thing

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 5 2016, 05:35 PM
Post #7
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

With "inheriting" music tastes I'd say, maybe? My mum does like 90s dance music as a fave I think, she doesn't really play music much at all in the house any more. She does seem to like different kinds of genres, not everything though typically standard pop music in the charts and stuff. Hmm I think there's other stuff I want to say but can't think what it is laugh.gif

(worded badly again :/)

This post has been edited by spadogs: May 5 2016, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
Post #8
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I feel like I'm more in tune with my mom's tastes more than anything because she likes music where she can dance. My sister is very much into rap and my dad is more indie/rock with some pop but not to the extent my love for pop is.

I have a friend who stans for half the songs I hate, which is a problem but if I got him into Rihanna, anything could happen.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ May 5 2016, 06:08 PM) *
I'm solely responsible for making my friendship group listen to Halsey

Yeah I'm glad you and Lindsey introduced me to Halsey actually! That's one thing in common right there wink.gif Although my love of Lana is even bigger heart.gif She wasn't really someone I was introduced to by you though, I initially was recommended 'Video Games' by a friend when it first came out, followed by my sister bringing me her very first album, the AKA one. But I think I probably decided to listen to her other albums because of your stanning lol - so thanks!

---

A lot of my taste just kinda came about through finding artists online and stuff (here too), like Lindsey said, I don't think I really 'inherited' it. My Dad was into R.E.M. though who I now like because he gave me some of their CDs years ago. My mum only really listens to classical radio in the car now. Previously she would've been into jazz, soul and that.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post May 5 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #10
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

My mom is a Madonna and Prince stan. My mother said her last good album was COADF. I tried to get her to listen to Rebel Heart but she refuses after 'MDNA', which she is still trying to unhear. Her words not mine.

When I visit her I make 'Revolver' or 'Girl Gone Wild' her ringtone. Last time she didn't find out until she got a call at our last family reunion and at the table you just heard "MY LOVE'S A REVOLVER, MY SEX IS A KILLER...". My grandmother did not find it as funny as my cousins and I.

She got me back by making the intro to 'Ain't No Other Man' by Christina mine. TALK ABOUT BEING WOKEN UP TO A VOCAL WARZONE.

My brother loves Christian Rock music and country. Bless him. :')

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post May 5 2016, 07:19 PM
Post #11
alt er love
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

I have a lot in common with my mum musically which is great as it gave me someone to go to so many concerts with. She has Radio 1 on all day at home and is very much into boybands like me plus the likes of Taylor Swift, Ellie Goulding, Katy Perry, even Justin Bieber as of the current era ("Sorry" and "What Do You Mean" were two of her favourite songs of last year, "Thinking Out Loud" in 2014, "La La La" in 2013 thinking.gif)

One of my closest friends is into Bjork, doesn't like most current chart music but did have a soft spot for 5SOS and his favourite artist happens to be Madonna, which is how I got dragged to the Rebel Heart tour.

+Quote Post
Slade
post May 5 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #12
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I think I've inherited lots of little bits of my music taste from my family members. My mum adores 90s dance and shaped that part of my taste and my dad loves bands like Oasis and Coldplay that I also love. My grandad fostered a love of The Beatles into me and that led me to discover other great acts from the 60s.

I'd say the more alternative and poppy leanings of my taste aren't really all that matched up with my family's though.

Loads of my Uni friends and a couple of sixth form friends seem to be into bands like All Time Low/Fall Out Boy and stuff. One of them is that friend who has also heard of singers that are more famous on the internet though, like Melanie Martinez, which is really cool *.* A couple of my sixth form best friends are really into urban music and one loves the same kind of alternative music as me.

Oh and add me to the club of 'people who have a parent that stans Robbie Williams'. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post May 5 2016, 09:37 PM
Post #13
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

My mum is huge on male singer/songwriters. Her favourite seems to be Newton Faulker but she also enjoys Ben Howard, Ed Sheeran, James Bay, etc. Dad likes more indie stuff such as the Arctic Monkeys, although he's open to quite a lot of music and has a soft spot for S Club 7 kink.gif My sister's taste is like a mix of the three of us, although it seems less broad cause she's basically just played Chandelier on repeat for the last 2 years laugh.gif

In terms of friends, my closest friend has a lot of music in common with me and often comes to concerts with me (The Vamps, 5SOS and James Bay so far this year plus Shawn Mendes tomorrow and Justin Bieber in October). The boyfriend generally has good taste but some major flaws like hating Can't Speak French and Teenage Dream xx

+Quote Post
Rob S
post May 5 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,804
   No Gallery Pics

I like a lot of what my family are into as they are quite varied...

My mum is into artists like Bruno Mars, Savage Garden, The Carpenters, Barbara Streisand and Rihanna (all whom I like music of)

My dad likes Nickelback (hehe), Aerosmith and Slade

My sister loves all the heavy metal stuff like Motley, Kiss, Disturbed, Halestorm which I enjoy music by but she also likes pop/chart artists that I'm into like Avril, Taylor, Evanescence, Adele.

The main thing I have in common with them though is that they all enjoy music by Pink and Kelly Clarkson so yeah they all have influenced or even been influenced by my taste lol.

My friends are usually into either RHCP, Eminem or again really heavy music tongue.gif very mixed a la la la!

This post has been edited by Rob S: May 5 2016, 09:46 PM

+Quote Post
all is vanity.
post May 6 2016, 05:18 AM
Post #15
I will leave my heart at the door.
Member No.: 1,454

Dad: The Beatles and lots of British Invasion bands, some 80s stuff
Mom: She likes some Lady GaGa songs and oldies music.
Sister: Rap, a few pop songs thrown in
Me: Mostly pop music (Adele, Rihanna, Britney Spears, etc.), smooth jazz

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post May 6 2016, 05:31 AM
Post #16
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Quite a lot of my friends share a fair amount of my music taste, and will come along and see the same types of bands with me.
My Dad actually has very close tastes to mine and when he comes over takes a few CDs I've recently bought back with him to copy over (usually without telling me), and I think what he played in the car when I was growing up (The Jam, Stone Roses etc.) shaped a lot of my taste. My Mum is more dance orientated, one of her fave tracks of all-time is Basement Jaxx “Romeo” and she loves Disclosure but if I ever play her stuff like the Cribs or anything heavier than that on the rock scale she dismisses it as ‘awful racket’ biggrin.gif They both enjoy Ed Sheeran (ugh!) for some reason, as do all the girls at work....

Anyway, my sister has pretty rock orientated tastes which are similar to mine. She loves Foals, Bloc Party etc but she also likes all the pop fluff like Taylor Swift (which I really can't stand - she is the THATCHER of pop music) and my bro likes a wide mixture of rock/pop/dance but he is less interested in music really.

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post May 6 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #17
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Well, I have this older brother who literally has the worst taste ever.

Naw, he's gotten a lot better over the past few years, I'm sure everyone know Iz's taste, a lot of rock and a bit of (almost) everything else. Pretty top notch tbf tho could do with some tweaking xoxoxo.

My Mum is a classical musician so she's really into classical music obviously but she likes a bit of ABBA, Carpenters, Phil Collins, John Denver, Sting, Adele, and a bit more 80s pop probably. She also likes a fair bit of what I show her but I'm fairly selective from my collection, I wouldn't start playing any heavy rock for her let's put it that way.

Mum's partner (Step Dad really tho not officially) plays bass in a folk rock band actually, listens to Elbow, early Killers. On the other end of the rock spectrum Motorhead and a few other heavy bands, also some jazz and blues like Miles Davis- quite a lot of stuff and is always finding things on spotify but a good chunk of his taste is pre 2000s. He's certainly willing to listen to newer stuff though. He likes Vanessa Carlton. biggrin.gif

My Dad likes Pink Floyd, T Rex, Supertramp, Queen, Carpenters, early Madonna - has a huge collection of vinyls from late 70s to mid 80s (and a few older ones he collected at that time) but recently has gotten into Coldplay, Keane, Death Cab For Cutie and a few others, mostly ones I've introduced to him. I'd say he was a rock and indie fan with a taste for older pop but not a heavy rock or metal fan to any degree. He also likes a bit of classical every now and again.

Little bro doesn't really care so much, he just puts on whatever he has in his library, which is a weird mix of my Dad's, Iz's and my tastes, but mostly mine because I supply most of his music. He has however recently purchased (admittedly with an iTunes voucher from Christmas) an album for himself, and I was quite impressed- "Hope Is Just A State Of Mind" by Little Comets, I've had my eye on them for a while now and he beat me to getting one of their albums.

I have a fairly broad music taste. Picked up a bit from my Dad (like Floyd ofc) I like rock (heavy or 'normal'), folk, indie, acoustic, jazz, funk, blues, soul, reggae- I guess rock and indie are the biggest of those but I do like a bit of blues every now and again (especially blues rock I mean it's so good). I can go for pop, electronic, hip hop, metal, even classical (mostly romantic period- easily the most interesting) but I'm more selective with those I guess. Not too impressed with the current state of the UK charts gotta say but there's always usually something decent there. I'm so bad at describing my taste because it's so everywhere and that's the reason I have last.fm. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: May 6 2016, 10:34 PM

+Quote Post
Scene
post May 6 2016, 11:39 PM
Post #18
This is where you end and I begin
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 5,567
   No Gallery Pics

My dad loves Led Zepplin, Dire Straits, Michael Jackson, Blondie, Rolling Stones, Amy Winehouse... and Dido.
My mum loves Blondie, Michael Jackson, Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani
My sister likes only mainstream music. Songs that are a bit inoffensive.
My brother likes the Bare Naked Ladies but he doesn't like that much music, if any. He has Aspergers which might be a reason for him not really finding music enjoyable.
My other brother used to like Prodigy and Pendulum.

I got my love of Michael Jackson from my mum. It was through buying her an MJ Greatest Hits album for Mothers' Day 2009 that I got into his music. I got my mum into Kelly Clarkson and Gwen Stefani. She adored the Breakaway album - especially 'Since U Been Gone' and 'Because of You' (and she normally finds ballads "boring").

This post has been edited by Scene: May 6 2016, 11:40 PM

+Quote Post
Riser
post May 7 2016, 01:37 PM
Post #19
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

I share some music taste with just about everyone in my life and I make music a topic of conversation very often. I used to have some influence on my friends' taste when they lived here (such as introducing them to Lorde biggrin.gif), which is something I miss nowadays. I get to influence my parents' taste though and even my grandma's which I enjoy! As for my taste, it was mostly developed on my own for sure.

My mom only ever listens to current stuff on pop radio, her favorite artist being Pink. My dad's mostly into alternative rock and blues, and my twin listens to as much indie as possible. Only a small handful of my friends listen to country but some of my cousins are big country fans too. I have a few friends that are very into pop music and pop culture so I appreciate being able to discuss music outside of Buzzjack.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 7 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #20
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I don't really share any music taste with my mum, she likes 80s stuff a lot but not the same artists that I do really (Madonna and Whitney being the big two, she likes some of their songs though). My little sister is worse, she is the sort who dedicates her instagram account to awful boybands or male artists with little talent like The Vamps. One of my older sisters LOVES Pink though so that's good, planning to go to her next tour although she's said that the last two times kink.gif

My friends have quite varied tastes, I'd say my two best friends at uni, a boy and a girl, have the closest taste to me. The guy likes a lot of what we jokingly call "emo" music, but we both love loads of 00s pop stuff which forms the basis of most of our pres playlists laugh.gif The girl is even closer to that (we have so many shared faves) but she also likes a lot of that quite boring stuff that think its a bit indie like Kodaline :/ Plus she can be a bit of a sheep musically by her own admission, she'll love it when it hits Radio 1 but not before. And me and Matt are the only ones who don't seem to eat all the awful club music that's in the charts with horrendous samples that ruin songs, another two of my closest friends at uni love all of them, they'll just eat up anything on the charts and while that does cause some overlap we have a joke where we say "Ben tunes", we know he'll like it if it has a dance beat, rap or preferably both laugh.gif All of my friends seem to be up for 00s pop throwbacks though at pres, if not that then we play the sort of songs you'd play at the back of bus between like 2009 and 2011. Usually our pres playlist will be our throwback faves, a few "Ben tunes" and then I'll force like Ricki-Lee or some of my random faves on them, the other week it was some BJSC tracks from the latest contest laugh.gif

Also I touched upon this in the last paragraph but when we were discussing it the other day I said to Lindsey how annoying it is when people like songs AFTER you introduce them. I had this with Cake By The Ocean, a few months ago everyone was like "meh I guess it's ok" but now that it's inescapable on radio, TV etc. and everyone knows it, they all love it!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 11:02 AM