BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> VOTING, register to vote by 22nd May Postal vote deadline 23 May
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Christmas Cherry...
post May 5 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #1
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I was going to make this earlier today, but better late than never!!!! ohmy.gif

Today there are elections going on in the UK for a variety of things, but this thread isn't intended to preach about the actual elections themselves, more the importance of getting out there to vote, so expect to see me bump this every time there are elections (i'm sorry if this is already a thing!)

In my opinion voting is ALWAYS worth it, as voting is the easiest way to change things. Whether you agree, or disagree with the government of the day voting is a sure way of showing your opinion. Of course it can't be forgotten that historically, many people fought hard for the right to vote. Voting is a democratic right we have been given, and it should always be exercised. And no, I won't take the effort of going to a polling station as an excuse kink.gif When talking to my friends, a lot of the reasons they don't vote are down to different reasons:

a) I live in a safe seat anyway- my vote won't change things! Is there even any point?

If everybody goes by this, we're never going to have change! Yes it is given that your vote may not change the overall result, but still having a say will show support for a party or an individual which may encourage them to keep fighting for the next set of elections.

b) I've looked into all of the different viewpoints of the candidates but I don't agree with any of them

Of course there is always the possibility that you may simply select the candidate you have the most in common with, but actually, you aren't required to vote for any of the candidates at all if you don't want to. Spoiling your ballot paper, or just putting it onto the box blank will still make you appear on the turnout figures as a spoilt paper, which actually shows that you deliberately chose not to vote for any of the options, WHEREAS just staying at home isn't going to show this at all, it may just seem that the non-voters were too lazy to go out and vote.

c) I just don't get it...

There's several ways to sort this out, and for a lot of my friends who don't study politics the will to understand it all is there, but they get quite overwhelmed when they try to make up their mind (this is particularly happening with the upcoming EU referendum). For general understanding on the whole, trying to keep up with the political news as often as possible is the best way to understand what is going on and will also help with understanding the "language". Just a few minutes a day on a news app will really help! Or talk to other people about it, whether it be friends, family or colleagues, of course be careful of making sure you get a balanced response, as yes horrific bias can always be a thing, but short term this can always be helpful! And of course usually a quick google will reveal policies, more information etc!

I hope some of this is useful, these are a few reasons/problems I thought up of the top of my head, I may come back and update this later! biggrin.gif Feel free to discuss the right to vote below

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 5 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #2
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I really hate when people say "my vote won't matter", in my experience I see the same people moaning about the result laugh.gif You don't really have a right to complain if you didn't try and make a difference and use your vote.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post May 5 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #3
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

oooh good topic ohmy.gif

You know what I'm like with political things, I just can't retain a lot of it laugh.gif Honestly I'm so thankful that I've got you to turn to and ask about this stuff though as it really helps me get my head around certain things, especially with the general election where I was pretty clueless. It's not that I don't want to know, its just I have trouble taking all these policies, understanding and differentiating them and then thinking about what kind of impact they'll have if implemented etc. It's understanding why certain policies even exist at times. It is a bit of another type of language like you said but I do realise the importance of voting and have used my vote every time I've had the chance, I do think about how much women have went through in the past just to give us this right now so I feel I must.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post May 5 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #4
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Great post and I agree 100%, particularly 'oh it won't matter, I can't change things' or 'oh they're all rubbish, politics is shit', the former is a really defeatist attitude and essentially forfeiting your own voice, and as for the latter, politics is pretty much influences most things about you and your future for anyone, so it's definitely worth caring about. I do somewhat understand the disinterest in politics amongst younger people/first time voters though, it's a problem with the representation of it and politicians these days sad.gif

(though some of the voting today is rather low key and things like police commissioner elections (:')) I can somewhat understand how not many people would be bothered about this, the main one people should be bothered about ofc. is in over a month's time).

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: May 5 2016, 06:25 PM

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post May 5 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #5
feminist icon

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ May 5 2016, 07:24 PM) *
Great post and I agree 100%, particularly 'oh it won't matter, I can't change things' or 'oh they're all rubbish, politics is shit', the former is a really defeatist attitude and essentially forfeiting your own voice, and as for the latter, politics is pretty much influences most things about you and your future for anyone, so it's definitely worth caring about. I do somewhat understand the disinterest in politics amongst younger people/first time voters though, it's a problem with the representation of it and politicians these days sad.gif

(though some of the voting today is rather low key and things like police commissioner elections (:')) I can somewhat understand how not many people would be bothered about this, the main one people should be bothered about ofc. is in over a month's time).

Yeah, out of my group of friends I was the only one to vote today, which is what encouraged me to make this thread. I think a lot more of them will vote for the EU referendum (I've already started explaining to all of them the reasons why they need to vote) but it was slightly discouraging to see the reasons WHY they didn't vote today.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 5 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #6
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I always enjoy voting as I've done my best to immerse myself in that world to spot change and understand the policies affecting people's lives and so doing it, like I've done so today, is always something I look forward to. If my vote will make a difference, that's excellent, if not, I've shown my opinion and where I want this society to go, as much as I can short of campaigning (which is something I mean to look into in the future). It's 5 minutes out of my day, I can certainly make an effort to do THAT on the rare times it comes around and I would even if I weren't so interested in politics.

Excellent write-up Lotti, this sort of thing needs to be said again and again until turnout goes traditionally high. Police commissioner elections and council elections are lowkey but even the smallest office can make a difference somewhere because you're still voting for a person to do a job and it is important to make sure the right people get in that job. I'm enjoying my record of having voted in every police commissioner election so far.

For an example, though I only read up briefly on these elections, what I read about the UKIP police commissioner for my area was that he was campaigning to get in and actively not do that job - for Ł80k. That at least is a reason to vote - against him, in case that wasn't obvious.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post May 5 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #7
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Voting is the one thing (other than drinking alcohol) that makes me feel like an adult.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post May 5 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #8
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I only had the PCC election to vote in - polling station was dead, but then I did go after work so maybe all the action was between 7 am and 7 pm ( I doubt it)

We should at least beat the embarrassingly low 15.1% turnout in the November 2012 elections. It is after all a lot warmer today and sunnier. Yes I can't stand people who moan about how their vote is insignificant and then proceed to whinge about the incumbent (whoever that happens to be). When you fail to vote, you lose your right to complain because you didn't participate.

Btw, in the previous PCC elections Jane Basham (Labour) won by 1 vote but after the second preference votes were counted Tim Passmore (Cons) won. Bloody AB system! mad.gif

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post May 5 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #9
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

I voted, mostly because I felt like I probably should. Not sure exactly what significance the PCC has but I voted Lib Dem like always, Labour as my 2nd choice (wasn't even aware that was a thing but there it is).

+Quote Post
Slade
post May 5 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I definitely agree with you that voting is important. I may not be the most clued up person in the world about politics but I do take an active interest, as with most current affairs. I would have voted in the general election last year but I didn't turn 18 for another few months, boo! I look forward to voting for the first time in the EU referendum. Very important to have your say!

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 5 2016, 11:14 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for starting this topic and for a good summary of why people should vote. In the absence of a Lib Dem candidate in my local PCC election, I spoilt my ballot paper for the first time in my life.

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post May 6 2016, 06:50 AM
Post #12
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

I don't have the age to vote yet, but voting is something that I believe everybody should do, even if they just spoil their ballot paper.

I hate it when people say "Oh, one vote doesn't matter" Tell that to Louis XVI of France or James Callaghan, they might disagree.

Louis XVI's execution was voted 361-360, the vote of no confidence forcing Callaghan to call an election (and subsequently led Thatcher to power) was won 311-310.

+Quote Post
burbe
post May 6 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #13
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Yesterday was my first time NOT voting since I came eligible. Mainly because I don't know anything about local politics because I haven't been living here, so it felt wrong to vote even though I live opposite the polling station. Obviously I will be voting in June for the EU Ref though!

I hate voter apathy though. If everyone voted, the results could be so different and it also really bugs me that people complain about the result yet didn't exercise their rights to vote. I also feel it's an insult to all those people who campaigned for votes throughout the years not to exercise our right. And there's others around the world who would die to have our voting rights.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post May 6 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #14
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

I couldn't vote easily yesterday as I'm not at home, I could have arranged something but I'm not knowledgeable enough to feel it was worth the hassle. I would have voted Labour and they held the council anyway so yay I guess (although my ward was actually won by a Lib Dem, fun ~)

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 6 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ May 6 2016, 09:46 PM) *
I couldn't vote easily yesterday as I'm not at home, I could have arranged something but I'm not knowledgeable enough to feel it was worth the hassle. I would have voted Labour and they held the council anyway so yay I guess (although my ward was actually won by a Lib Dem, fun ~)

Aren't you registered at your university address?

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post May 7 2016, 12:44 AM
Post #16
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 6 2016, 09:58 PM) *
Aren't you registered at your university address?

Not that I'm aware of...

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 7 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ May 7 2016, 01:44 AM) *
Not that I'm aware of...

As you now have to register yourself (rather than it being done automatically if you are in university accommodation), that must mean you're not registered there. Bear in mind that students are allowed to register at both their home address and their university address. There's still time to register for the referendum. You can still only vote once though!

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Apr 21 2017, 08:37 PM
Post #18
feminist icon

guys i'm bumping this back up!!!!! obviously in the next few weeks me and Phil are planning to write a few more GET WOKE topics but this thread here is v important!! my goal is to try make sure every eligible-to-vote-in-the-UK lounge visiter uses their vote. if there's anything specific concerning the election you'd like us to write on, please just let us know, i studied the last election quite carefully and analytically in class, and if i don't know the answer to something i will find out for ya'll, or if there's just a small question you want to PM us about just go ahead. there's seriously no such thing as a stupid question and i'd rather let people KNOW rather than them be too scared to ask then not vote

GET WOKE PPL. USE UR VOTE ON JUNE 8TH

+Quote Post
dancember
post Apr 21 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #19
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I live in what may be the safest Conservative seat ever but nonetheless I plan on voting in the GE, as my mum says you can't really complain at the result if you don't even vote.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Apr 21 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

yeah please do vote people! it's incredibly important people our age especially vote as we hate the tories the most and the less our age voting, the bigger % they'll have and nobody wants that laugh.gif

Feeling quite funny about this election, politically I disagree entirely with it but a chance to vote always excites me for some reason laugh.gif The last election was my first one and I voted labour, purely because our labour MP was very good and did a lot personally for us (I wasn't sure on independence yet either), obviously voting SNP this time round!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 09:09 AM