BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> autotuning, chart invasion
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Popchartfreak
post May 6 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Just flicked through the current itunes chart, errr is it me or has the music industry gone autotune mad? Drake is the worst offender, OK his voice makes Bob Dylan sound light and melodic, but why doesn't he just get guest vocalists, or sing anyway, rather than sound like a robot...?

Does it annoy anyone else or am I alone? tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 6 2016, 07:11 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

If it's overused then yeah it can be annoying, but I guess it can be used effectively if used sparingly. It would be nice for singers/rappers to use their natural vocals more often though.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post May 6 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

It only really occasionally annoys me when it sounds ridiculous and makes me wonder if so much of it was really "needed". Sometimes the robot thing does get a bit irritating in some songs, but also it can be used for completely creative purposes, which is where things get interesting and not so ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 6 2016, 07:37 PM
Post #4
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Drake's voice has just gotten worse over the years. He was never a great singer to start with but now it's at unbearable levels and makes his latest work quite painful.

Always been fine with the practice if used in artsy ways but it so easily grates.

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post May 6 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #5
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

It all depends how it's done- it's alright as long as there's not too much of it. I'd never want to hear an autotuned voice on a rock track for example, it works ok with electronic tracks sometimes (see Daft Punk). Personally most of the time I prefer songs without it- that is, in the narrow sense of 'autotuning' with the robotic type sound, lots of other less invasive things are always done to vocals and all other aspects of a track in the mixing process for a studio recording. I love effective distortion or an underwater on vocals sometimes, but again that depends on the situation and usually those effects don't span the entire song.

Ok:
-For artistic effect, if it matches the style and enhances the voice.
-Light touches of it lower in the mix to add an extra layer of sound.

Not ok:
-Unnecessary overuse making it sound forced, irritating and badly out of place with the instrumental.
-It doesn't match the style.
-To lazily try to hide the fact that the 'singer' can't actually sing that well or that they've got an uninteresting voice.

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: May 6 2016, 08:00 PM

+Quote Post
Tyler
post May 6 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #6
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

I thought that it was using vocoder that made voices sound robotic, while auto tune was just used to change pitch on vocals to make them sound more in tune than originally?

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post May 6 2016, 08:52 PM
Post #7
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Imagine what you guys would have said about autotune if T-Pain was as big as he was back in 2007.

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post May 6 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #8
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tyler @ May 6 2016, 09:22 PM) *
I thought that it was using vocoder that made voices sound robotic, while auto tune was just used to change pitch on vocals to make them sound more in tune than originally?
True, vocoder can be used in that way to an extent but it's either a synthesizer that allows vocals to be inputted into it or a software that mixes a preset synth with vocals. But they're more often used as background or instrumental sections.

In some ways they have similarities and vocoder certainly can sound robotic but autotune is more common for a lead vocal.

Example of a vocoder synthesizer here:

Skip to 2:30 for vocal examples.

Autotune is really pitch correction that's often used to an extreme and the robotic sound comes from the settings being turned up high causing the pitch to bend and change really quickly and 'unnaturally' between notes. But you're right, if it's not overused it can just simply correct minor pitching errors without sounding too robotic. If it is used for the that though it begs the question, why didn't the vocalist just make another take? tongue.gif

More info describing differences between various techniques here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdh9zx4dY38

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: May 6 2016, 09:58 PM

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post May 7 2016, 02:28 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

with me, i'm not a fan of it at all- but i think it's something you just have to learn to love.. the music world is changing, and so are tastes

the only time i liked it (and this is going back years) was during the introduction of darren haze's song, "crush (1980 me)". that sounded cool

the other thing i don't like is when artists insist on having vinyl crackling at the start (or throughout) their record)

the obvious example i can think of is " i'm out of love", by anistasia

i also believe that it was used during a jessie J track as well

it works for electronic music though.

it works perfectly for " i play you listen" by oddessa

anyway i'm going off topic here

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 7 2016, 08:30 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

ooh yes that fake vinyl crackling really annoys me too. tongue.gif

I love new sounds, Vocoder topped my chart with Peter Frampton in prehistory, then Cher doing autotune-ish Believe (she can SING so it was for an actual reason), and I'm not against it for artistic effect, but yeah I suspect it's just become a lazy way of trying to improve bad vocals ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 08:36 PM