BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Judas 5 years on, wear ear condom next time~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post May 7 2016, 02:27 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

We didn't get the thread open when the single was actually released but as the music video was released 5 years ago this week, let's reminisce.

Written and produced by Gaga and RedOne, the single harked back to some of TFM sounds whilst offering a new, more industrial sound at the same time.

Gaga says that the song is about "falling in love with the wrong man over and over again"... “The song is about honoring your darkness in order to bring yourself into the light... You have to look into what’s haunting you and need to learn to forgive yourself in order to move on."

Reaching the top 10 in most countries, it was a middling success and led into the album release a few weeks later.

What do you think of the song and music video now? Do you think it was the best choice for second single? Discuss everything about the biblical banger here~

Born This Way • 5 years on
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post May 7 2016, 03:39 PM
Post #2
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Nope it wasn't and just made more people shout, Reductive Madonna and lose her street cred.

The Steps-lite chorus is PURE CHEESE!!! and should be BURIED IN THE SAND WITH ALL THOSE COPIES OF E.T!!!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 7 2016, 03:48 PM
Post #3
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I was even mroe mentally unstable when this came out than BTW laugh.gif I think I listened to nothing but this for about 10 hours on repeat!! 9 weeks at #1 in my chart consecutively too which is still the longest runner *.* Such a fab pop song, I love the chorus! It's so melodic it could belong to a huge Melodifestivalen song.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post May 7 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

This was an absolute fav of mine, and still is *.* about 3 weeks till I'm doing my judas style Gaga dress up now!! cool.gif

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post May 7 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #5
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Member No.: 20,947

Still one of her best, absolute anthem and one of her most fun tracks! wub.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 7 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #6
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Her best song ever. End. Hard to believe i hated this on first listen.

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post May 7 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

This is so good. The chorus is so infectious.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post May 7 2016, 08:27 PM
Post #8
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I was facepalming hard at the lack of longevity this song had... this is why we can't have nice things

+Quote Post
RobBob
post May 7 2016, 11:47 PM
Post #9
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Member No.: 7,117

One of my favourite Gaga songs ever now. Bad Romance is my favourite, but for when I'm just doing casual music listens, this tends to be my go to. It seems to have got better with age for me.

+Quote Post
Josh!
post May 8 2016, 08:12 AM
Post #10
c:
Member No.: 20,692

I didn't think this was that liked anymore so glad to see all the love here. It has a fantastic chorus and I love the 'Judas' refrain bit too. Part of my Lady Gag trinity along with Paparazzi and Do What U Want.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post May 8 2016, 09:08 AM
Post #11
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I LOATHED this at the time. I still find the production hard work, as with most of the parent album, but the chorus has worked on me over the years and now I can listen to it happily enough, so I guess that puts it in the upper half of the Gaga ouvre.

+Quote Post
Hypodermic Sally
post May 8 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #12
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 21,622
   No Gallery Pics

one of her best tracks, even people who I know hate Gaga love this track! The video is up their with her best also eflhdifeip;wq

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post May 8 2016, 09:55 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Love me some 'Judas' music.gif The first few times I heard it, it was true bliss. Can't believe it's been five years already!

+Quote Post
Styles Bilinski
post May 8 2016, 10:10 AM
Post #14
alt er love
Member No.: 8,674

I really like the video but still have issues with the song like I think it's always sounded very dated? And not as strong as it should be, it falls flat for me. Definitely weaker than the singles that came before and after it, but it did grow with repeat listens and I guess I accept it for what it is these days when at the time I saw it as a massive disappointment.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post May 8 2016, 10:11 AM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(J▲hq @ May 8 2016, 10:10 AM) *
I really like the video but still have issues with the song like I think it's always sounded very dated? And not as strong as it should be, it falls flat for me. Definitely weaker than the singles that came before and after it, but it did grow with repeat listens and I guess I accept it for what it is these days when at the time I saw it as a massive disappointment.

Absolutely.

It is weak cheesy flat and Steps-lite.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post May 8 2016, 10:32 AM
Post #16
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

The video is definitely one of the best she's done (probably in my top 3 videos from her). The song I like but don't LOVE and have never been really really invested in it like 90% of her other singles. I do find in such a strong back catalogue it does get swallowed up a fair bit, but as others have said it's so fun and always a RIOT whenever I play it. I always actually forget how good a song it is until i'm actually listening to it.

It should not have been the second single by any means. The 'Born This Way' album is filled to the brim with huge songs, this was not the right choice in any way. I think it should have remained a STRONG album track (with a video kink.gif).

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post May 8 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ May 8 2016, 11:32 AM) *
The video is definitely one of the best she's done (probably in my top 3 videos from her). The song I like but don't LOVE and have never been really really invested in it like 90% of her other singles. I do find in such a strong back catalogue it does get swallowed up a fair bit, but as others have said it's so fun and always a RIOT whenever I play it. I always actually forget how good a song it is until i'm actually listening to it.

It should not have been the second single by any means. The 'Born This Way' album is filled to the brim with huge songs, this was not the right choice in any way. I think it should have remained a STRONG album track (with a video kink.gif).

You are absolutely reet tbh!

SHe had such a huuge choice for second single - Marry The Night, Edge of Glory!!, Sheisse, that this album track was not needed as a single. It sounded and looked reductive, lookedlike she was chasing controversy and chasing Madonna, and after Born This Way/ Express Yoruself trends on Twitter and youtube mash-ups, that was the LAST thing she needed, rather than doubling down on it.

She coulda done a video for fans and had it like an insta-grat, but it shouldn't have been a single.

+Quote Post
Euphorique
post May 8 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 421

I remember liking the chorus and hating the verses. 5 years on I dont mind the song, its fun, but it got completely overshadowed by the far superior Edge Of Glory for me.

+Quote Post
RobBob
post May 8 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #19
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Member No.: 7,117

Judas is the ONLY single from Born This Way I love. Although I forget how much I like The Edge Of Glory until I hear it.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 8 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #20
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I absolutely hate the chorus, it's just too cheesy for its own good. The verses and video are excellent though and save it from being a write off.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 10:13 AM