BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LGBT students are campaigning for separate halls
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
RobBob
post May 16 2016, 06:57 PM
Post #1
I'm in a vewy bad mood, Bwadley.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 7,117

http://thetab.com/uk/student/2016/05/16/st..._campaign=viral

It's not often I make a Lounge topic but this has REALLY got me wound up, more so than anything I've read in a while.

Students have called for universities to provide exclusive accommodation on campus for LGBT students, amid fears of potential victimisation from straight flatmates. Birmingham University are the first who are set to implement this.

WHY?! In my eyes, it goes against absolutely everything that I would want as a homosexual male. Why would you call for something that excludes you and puts you in a box where you are completely defined by your sexuality. The community has strived for so many years to become normalised, something which I think we're achieving pretty well. I can't speak for everybody, but I have so many straight friends at university, both male and female, who have never made me feel less human for your sexuality.

By asking to be in an LGBT hall, you are making life so much more difficult for yourself. I'm not saying everyone would be accepted the way that I have, but your world must become such a narrow world when you have to close yourself off from living with anyone who doesn't fit into this LGBT category.

I could go on for longer, but I want to know other opinions because I just think, as an LGBT member myself, this is just ridiculous and I despair. A backwards step I think and just presents us in such a 'victim' kind of way for no good reason.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cremey
post May 16 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #2
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

I couldn't agree with you more.

+Quote Post
Slade
post May 16 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Oh goodness. I don't get why you'd want to voluntarily ostracise yourself from everyone else that isn't LGBT in that way, it's just completely taking a step backwards.

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 16 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #4
Ooga Boo
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,572

This is beyond dumb. Why spend so long fighting to be accepted into society then go around and want something like this to seperate you again??

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post May 16 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #5
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

This is such a dumb idea....We are fighting for equality everyday but this is not equal rights...it would be separating us, the lgbtq community further away from society

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 16 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #6
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

You'd think, to generalise, that people attending university would be more educated and less likely to be homophobic overall. I mean, there will be some hence why this is even being put forward but surely university is one of the best places and stages of life to meet and get to know people from diverse backgrounds across gender, race, sexuality and by segregating one of these groups off it'll just help latent homophobia to grow.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 16 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #7
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

It's not a good idea. Not that it concerns me.

+Quote Post
mdh
post May 16 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #8
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

why would you want to be separate from others when you've been campaigning to be together with others for years? the whole concept of this makes no sense whatsoever, and in 2016 its not like more than a very small number of people are homophobic at all.

this is so stupid.

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 16 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #9
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(mdh🏠 @ May 16 2016, 08:09 PM) *
why would you want to be separate from others when you've been campaigning to be together with others for years? the whole concept of this makes no sense whatsoever, and in 2016 its not like more than a very small number of people are homophobic at all.

this is so stupid.

You'd be surprised.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post May 16 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #10
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Agreed with the general consensus here, the idea is obviously terrible and actually sounds like something that was dreamt up by the homophobes that this movement was formed to combat. Probably should address the bullies and intolerant twats instead of segregating people...

+Quote Post
mdh
post May 16 2016, 07:15 PM
Post #11
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ May 16 2016, 08:14 PM) *
You'd be surprised.

the sad truth I suppose sad.gif

+Quote Post
*Tim
post May 16 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #12
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

The segregation teas are real. Why would you want this? Don't they want acceptance? Don't they realise that by seperating yourselves completely you will only create more hate and weird looks?

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post May 16 2016, 07:25 PM
Post #13
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely agree about this placing a bad light on the LGBT community. Fighting for a separate LGBT hallway is a bit too "moral high horse" in my opinion; it turns something as simple as equality and makes it seem more on the verge of victimizing the community as a whole.

+Quote Post
Martyn
post May 16 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 66

What a dumb idea.

+Quote Post
LexC
post May 16 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #15
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I can only echo the above sentiments. Maybe I've been living in silly hippie old Brighton for too long but the vast majority of people below 25 surely just don't care if somebody is LGBT or not. Plus the whole point of going to University is mixing and mingling with as vast a social spectrum of people as possible rather than self segregating yourself off into whatever group of people that is.

This seems like something dreamed up by SU "student politicians" who are literally the worst kind of people that pollute the planet.

+Quote Post
Umi
post May 16 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #16
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

I mean I could talk about how poor an idea it is for a group of people that have been fighting to integrate in society without prejudice but given everyone else has already talked about that...

How awkward does living in LGBT-exclusive halls sound? If I were somehow forced into it when I started uni I would have dreaded going into uni/a room with something so personal about myself already available information to everyone, even if they're LGBT+ too. I wouldn't at all have appreciated not having a choice in who knew. On the other hand, choosing to live in the straight halls would have been stupid because then coming out would have required needless explanation of why I'm not in the gay halls.

I just don't get why you'd want to separate yourselves. It's like you're asking for the people in the straight halls to think you're freaks.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post May 16 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

And how do they suppose this will be managed? Have a special ID that proves you are LGBT? List the entire back catalogue of Kylie Minogue?

Completely bizarre suggestion; as everyone has said, it's so backwards and just screams "I want to be treated differently.

+Quote Post
Danny
post May 16 2016, 07:41 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 457
   No Gallery Pics

Birmingham's already had LGBT-only flats for ages -- they were already being offered when I went there like 6 years ago.

It's not something I would've wanted personally, but I don't see the problem with having it as an option. It's surely not unheard of that people will want to share with people they have something "in common with"? I don't see how it's all that much different to LGBT societies and the like.

This post has been edited by Danny: May 16 2016, 07:42 PM

+Quote Post
*Tim
post May 16 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #19
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

QUOTE(liamk97 @ May 16 2016, 07:40 PM) *
And how do they suppose this will be managed? Have a special ID that proves you are LGBT? List the entire back catalogue of Kylie Minogue?.

Omg rotf.gif

(Probs by showing their tickets to the Born This Way Ball tbh)

+Quote Post
Umi
post May 16 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #20
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ May 16 2016, 08:40 PM) *
And how do they suppose this will be managed?

I forgot this, too. Hardly anyone would even use it because the people who would most fear negative reactions for LGBT+ probably haven't came out to their family (and therefore can't choose the halls), and are also possibly uncomfortable with the idea of being thrown straight into an extremely concentrated LGBT+ environment. It feels like the people who most need support wouldn't get any support with this idea, and a lot of the others would prefer to live in straight halls anyway because it's... less weird than randomly excluding yourself.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 09:18 AM