BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BBC online cutbacks (incl. Food), Recipes disappearing forthwith
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Yuki On Ice~
post May 17 2016, 12:14 PM
Post #1
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

The BBC are taking offline the Food portion of their website, with over 11,000 recommended recipes from cooking shows. This is as part of online BBC cost-saving measures that also include getting rid of Newsbeat.

The BBC news channel will not be closed but a decision will be made on its future in July.

~

Well now. I figure although we have a topic on iPlayer in UKTV and the changes are being implied in the politics forum, it might be a good idea to get everyone talking about what effect these online cutbacks are going to have overall - it's certainly the part of the BBC I use the most and I know lots of you too.

Apparently the BBC cannot be all things to all people online but that is exactly what it has been so good at doing.

I may not be much of a cook but even I've used the Food website that they're closing when trying to make something at least a little complicated. It's destroying a what is effectively a national repository of information in the name of business and competition and that is the sort of thing I cannot stand. And to give an indication that this is not the only thing, that the BBC will be left online as a rump of its former self, that is leaving me quite angry.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
richie
post May 17 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #2
Poet and Storyteller
Group: Members
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

These are the changes we DIDN'T hear about. It's basically death by a thousand cuts and this is just the start. Once the website is scaled back, the free services we've lost will start to become subscription only by other inferior providers.

Once news is dropped from the BBC website, every other service will stick up a paywall and we'll see the end of printed media.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 17 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

There are reports that a number of suitable names for recipe websites have been registered by companies owned by Murdoch. That certainly wouldn't be a surprise.

One of the benefits of the BBC recipes is that most of them are healthy. A commercial website is less likely to be bothered by such things. It seems that we could end up with a mix of sites we have to pay for, and sites where it is a struggle to find the recipes hidden away among the adverts.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post May 17 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #4
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

This is a complete disgrace. The food section of the BBC website is brilliant, hell the BBC website in general is brilliant. It enhances the BBCs reputation globally as a respected font of knowledge and provides millions of us with essential unbiased information.

We're going to end up with recipes that are sponsored by brands and only use ingredients from x supermarket etc. The best thing about the BBC's food site was that it was 1) simple as f*** to follow and 2) very generic with it's ingredients.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 17 2016, 02:47 PM
Post #5
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

With the concentration on the BBC recipes service, there's one aspect of the cuts that has been very much overlooked, and it's one that I'm rather concerned about -

"Reducing digital radio and music social media activity and additional programme content that is not core to services"

My favourite radio show is Now Playing @ 6music, hosted by Tom Robinson, where the listeners programme the entire show based on suggestions crowdsourced from social media. If these cuts mean that this show, and other similar shows, will be withdrawn, I will be rather peeved indeed.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post May 17 2016, 04:58 PM
Post #6
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

Umm, losing the food aspect of the site is a proper loss. I frequently use it when I'm at a loss for what to do with ingredients, because it has the best variety and is usually reliable and easy to use. I don't agree with, but understood, the cutting back of BBC3 et al, but this just feels like straw clutching, desperation moves to save money at the expense of actually having a useable, purposeful site.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 17 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #7
don't lose your way
Member No.: 12,929

It's a bunch of text and images, I can't imagine it'll save them anything more than pennies especially when iPlayer is right there. It's clearly more a forced hand to cutback their reach and versatility online that's driving business away from the good old newspapers.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 17 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

it's all my fault! I gave the BBC a glowing review when they invited comments. stressed it was essential, including the world service and radio, which boost UK and UK products immensely, but I suggested they could raise more money by stopping people watching online for free (ie not paying licence fees) and suggested how they could do it. Oops!

I also moaned about the number of tedious cookery programmes cloggin up the airwaves (a couple or three is fine, but there's loads of them), the lack of music on TV, the conspicuous absence of British (far eastern) Asians on TV and radio ohmy.gif

I look forward to seeing the BBC Overlords (All Hail The Overlords!) do something about the other items.... but I won't hold my breath.

+Quote Post
Riser
post May 18 2016, 02:06 AM
Post #9
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

What, they're getting rid of Newsbeat!? That's very surprising, although I don't suppose they'll remove those news breaks from the chart show teresa.gif

I'm just now looking at the BBC Food website for the first time, and the measurements aren't as different as I expected. I wrongly assumed teaspoons and tablespoons weren't used outside North America. It looks extremely user-friendly so that'll be a major loss too.

+Quote Post
richie
post May 18 2016, 06:59 AM
Post #10
Poet and Storyteller
Group: Members
Member No.: 166
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz~ @ May 17 2016, 06:12 PM) *
It's a bunch of text and images, I can't imagine it'll save them anything more than pennies

THIS!

It'll actually cost them the time to remove them all.

I wonder how many other website services are being hacked out? Wouldn't it be great if Murdoch et al put their efforts into making something of such good quality it was worth paying extra for instead of insisting the BBC be dismantled bit by bit? All the UK gets at the end of the day is a wide choice of shit.

+Quote Post
burbe
post May 18 2016, 07:30 PM
Post #11
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Not the BBC Food site sad.gif

Screw you Tory crooks! mad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 03:31 AM