BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rankdown of all Eurovision entries 2000 - 2016, 251+ for Finland and France revealed (09/06)
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
diva thin muffin
post May 20 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837
Hey guys. Huge Eurovision fan here. Been working on a project for a few weeks to try to make a ranking of all the Eurovision entries from the very first year I watched the contest (2000) until the very last contest that just finished last saturday. I try to base these results on the live performances though as we get higher on the list other things will factor into my results. This ranking will be split into two portions: The Top 250 and then songs that did not make the Top 250. I'll begin by cutting huge batches at a time by eliminating all the songs that did not make it to the Top 250 for each country - going alphabetically starting with Albania and ending with the United Kingdom. After I've cleared that clutter I will start ranking them from 250 and downwards until we reach my absolute favorite.

Feel free to speculate about everything and I hope you guys will enjoy this ranking as much as I have enjoyed making it. The first country - Albania - will be getting their cuts shortly.

This post has been edited by jafetsigfinns: Jun 9 2016, 09:19 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 20 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

We'll start by covering the 13 entries Albania has presented us with since their inauguration year 2004. They have never missed out on a year since and have sent some great performances, including one that is very high on this list. They also include one of the songs I consider to be one of themost overrated songs in Eurovision history, as well as some incredibly boring fillers. Mostly however Albania has sent much better songs than I would have expected from a country I don't know very much about. In the history of my version of the contest Albania has qualified 7 times and failed to qualify 6 times, though two of those non-qualifications were very hard to decide. By taking the top 5 songs for each country I figured out a relative rank out of the countries that have participated in the past 17 years and Albania places 29th out of 48 on that list.

606th Place – "Suus" by Rona Nishliu (2012)

This is gonna be an unpopular choice but I absolutely despise this song. I seriously cannot understand how this managed to make it into the Top 10 in 2012 especially given how strong that year was, and I seriously cannot understand how this is such a huge fan favorite. This is just Rona shouting and getting ready to cry on stage. Absolutely baffled by Suus' popularity.

567th Place – "Hear My Plea" by Frederik Ndoci (2007)

Boring. I always have to listen to it again to remind myself which borefest this is.

544th Place – "Identitet" by Adrian Lulgjuraj and Bledar Sejko (2013)

2013 was a great year but this is definitely not something I'd use as an example of that. Not exactly horrible but very bland and easily forgotten.

500th Place – "Zemrën e lamë peng" by Olta Boka (2008)

This one just about crawls into the meh category for me. Very forgettable and the last of Albania's bad entries. Everything left is somewhere on the scale of somewhat good to amazing.

365th Place – "Feel the Passion" by Aurela Gace (2011)

No Albanian entries in the 400 to 499 window so we jump right into a pretty solid song. Aurela is a good singer but the song doesn't really go anywhere. 2011 is a mixed year for me but this places 29th out of the 43 entries for me nontheless. Something missing but good nontheless. Not all that surprising that she didn't qualify to be honest.

311th Place – "One Night's Anger" by Hersi Matmuja (2014)

This one wasn't really liked if I recall correctly, but I loved Hersi's raw performance. There was something in her voice that I loved and I felt this was a pretty emotional song. Didn't qualify IRL but easily qualified in my version of the contest but ultimately placed 21st out of the 37 entries.

283rd Place – "I'm Alive" by Elhaida Dani (2015)

I honestly forgot that this qualified last year because it feels very much like a non-qualifier to me. Elhaida sings beautifully though and has great control over her voice so I'm glad she did qualify. It pales a bit in comparison to most of the songs ahead of it for 2015, especially since the lyrics are rather flat but her strong voice helps raise her up a bit on my list.

281st Place – "Zjarr ë ftohte" by Luiz Ejlli (2006)

Just a few steps ahead of Elhaida is Luiz and one of the earliest Albanian entries in the competition. I'll be honest I don't even recall hearing this in the 2006 contest but I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this song is upon re-watch. This is a fun traditional song with lyrics I cannot understand for the life of me but Luiz seems to have fun and it shows. I'm honestly surprised this didn't qualify, but then again the early Semi finals were very flawed with how many songs were competing for so few spots.

270th Place – "It's All About You" by Juliana Pasha (2010)

2010 is one of my favorite years in the contest and Juliana definitely helps that fact. She loses out of the Top 250 by only 20 spots but the competition had gotten pretty fierce at this point. This is the final Albanian entry not to make the Top 250 and although it was a hard cut I feel that it's definitely justifiable. While the song is great and a rather typical Eurovision song it's just a little bit generic and not all that hard to forget. Great effort nontheless.

Albanian Qualifiers · 4 out of 13
  • "Carry Me In Your Dreams" by Kejsi Tola (2009)
  • "Fairytale" by Eneda Tarifa (2016)
  • "The Image Of You" by Anjeza Shahini (2004)
  • "Tomorrow I Go" by Ledina Celo (2005)
There we have it! Four songs qualified for Albania and I can imagine two of them are perhaps somewhat surprising. "Fairytale" and "Tomorrow I Go" are probably not exactly fan favorites, but the other two definitely are. We'll see how well these fare in the actual Top 250 but I'll tell you this much: one of these songs goes very far!

This post has been edited by jafetsigfinns: May 20 2016, 09:47 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 20 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
I'll keep a track on this list, looks interesting!

Ha, I'll never forget when I hit the back streets of Malmo in 2013 during my time there and some unassuming supermarket I'd popped into was playing Identitet literally on repeat. I was in there for 20 minutes and heard it seven times in a row, I felt incredibly sorry for the staff.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 20 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Well, it looks like I may not necessarily agree with a lot of this list, I think I'd count Suus, Identitet and Zemrën e lamë peng as my three favourite Albanian entries, it's always the intense emotion for the former with me. And I'm probably the one fan of Identitet, it has fab instrumentation and captivating vocals for me, although I doubt that's an opinion shared by anyone else here. biggrin.gif

However, however, this is a massive undertaking and one I'm envious of in that you have a clear ranking of everything, so I'm impressed with that, I'll definitely have a look-in here to see how it progresses.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 20 2016, 09:02 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Hello?
I grew to tolerate Identitet, it now sort of reminds me of my Malmo experience more than any other song in a funny way.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post May 20 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Carry Me In You Dreams <3

I love Suus too oops.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 20 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Thanks for the feedback all! I'm glad this is intriguing the three of you and I hope you enjoy my list even if you don't necessarily agree with it! biggrin.gif

I of course totally respect your opinions, including ones on Suus. I can somewhat understand what some people might see in it but man it's just so not my cup of tea xD

@Iz - I'm sorry I cut all your Albanian faves already, but hopefully we're on the same page with some other countries!

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 20 2016, 09:46 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Oh geez. Andorra does not have a very great track record in this contest. They competed a grand total of 6 times in the years between 2004 and 2009 and not a single time did they qualify for the final. Their top performance was in 2007 with Anonymous where they placed 12th in the semi with 80 points. The same was not the case in my versions of Andorra's journey, mostly thanks to my decision to have 2 semis in the 2004 - 2007 contests, so Andorra actually managed to qualify 4 out of 6 times, but all of those entries with the exception of one placed in the bottom five of the final those years lol. Andorra's overall placement in my country ranking is 43rd out of 48 countries so it's not the worst out of the bunch, but very low indeed.

536th Place – "Jugarem A Estimar-nos" by Marta Roure (2004)

The bottom placing Andorra track is also their debut entry in the contest. This is just very flat, uninteresting and uninspired to me. The singer's voice is not very good and the song is just a very generic 2004 entry. Placed 4th last out of the whole 2004 rooster for me.

430th Place – "Sense Tu" by Jenny (2006)

Another uninspired and boring entry. Not necessarily bad but I just really cannot recall a single thing about this song or performance. Forgettable is putting it nicely.

387th Place – "Salvem El Món" by Anonymous (2007)

Ugh the 2007 contest is my least favorite contest after 2002 and 2003 and the sudden influx of rock songs is one of the biggest reasons why. This is actually not all bad to be honest but the vocals are just all kinds of bad in my opinion. Very surprised that this is the best performance Andorra's had in the contest in their 6 years of participation but then again 2007 was a terrible year song-wise so maybe not all that surprising.

380th Place – "La Tevo Decisió (Get A Life)" by Susanne Georgi (2009)

Oh geez, this sounds like something of a Avril Lavigne 2002 reject lmao. Very uninspired and generic and the fact that this is their 3rd highest entry on my list speaks volumes of how very mid-table their songs were so it's really no surprise they never qualified lmao. Next please.

370th Place – "Casanova" by Gisela (2008)

Ehh, again this is just so bland. It's definitely better vocally than the other four entries I cut already but the song does nothing for me. I understand this was somewhat of a fan favorite back in 2008 though which I will never understand given how many great songs were in that year. Definitely deserved to qualify though.

Andorran Qualifiers · 1 out of 6
  • "La Mirada Interior" by Marian van de Wal (2005)
Oh would you look at that! One song qualified and it's tied for Andorra's worst performance in ESC actually lmao <3

This post has been edited by jafetsigfinns: May 20 2016, 09:48 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 20 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Hello?
Andorra were largely crap but I quite liked that they entered, a sort of precursor to San Marino somehow laugh.gif

I did love Jugarem A Estimar-Nos though, I actually still listen to that a lot now, love the long built up bridge in particular, the song reminds me of being at college!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 20 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Hello?
That said, I've just watched the Eurovision performance on Youtube and it was indeed awful, both vocally and presentation wise. Definitely a keeper in studio version only for me.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 20 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Heh, don't worry about losing my faves, you'll probably lose more if you disliked 2007 for the rock, it's your countdown first and foremost.

On that note, the only Andorran entry I slightly care for is Anonymous. Shame to have them gone but I can see why none of them qualified.

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post May 20 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Hello?
Anonymous came 12th out of 28 in the semi (god...the days of one semi where only 10 qualified drama.gif) so Andorra could consider themselves very much deprived of one deserved finalist. My sister loved that song.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 20 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Ohhh Armenia! I love Armenia. They have a veery solid history in Eurovision and have given us some amazing performances which definitely surprised me a lot when they kept releasing amazing song after amazing song. They have been participating since 2006 with only 2012 being their off year due to the host nation being their mortal enemies Azerbaijan. The fact that Armenia has placed in the Top 10 seven out of ten times is amazing and they have actually only once failed to qualify (and it was definitely justifiable as their song in 2011 was terrible - more on that later). Armenia also have shown that even when their songs are maybe not all that exciting the performance can boost the song by miles as we saw just last saturday with Iveta and the amazing performance she delivered in Stockholm. Anyway, Armenia are great and their placement on my Country list reflects that as they are actually 7th out of 48 countries based on list performance. OMG!

552nd Place – "Boom Boom" by Emmy (2011)

What the hell Armenia? After giving us Sirusho, Inga & Anush and Eva Rivas we suddenly get this mess of a song which gets the honor of being Armenia's only time so far not to qualify into the final. This is Armenia's biggest disappointment yet as this is just incredibly repetitive and childish and definitely did not deserve a spot in the final. Emmy is a decent singer but the song is just so bad that it's not even funny. What were you guys thinking?

503rd Place – "Anytime You Need" by Hayko (2007)

The second time Armenia performed they brought us this borefest and somehow it lucked into the Top 10 (mostly thanks to one of the worst years on record IMO). I don't really remember how this song goes so memorable it ain't.

400th Place – "Lonely Planet" by Dorians (2013)

Aww, this boyband decided to go for meaningful in Armenia's comeback year after boycotting the Baku contest but yeah it didn't really work did it? It's a nice enough song but it doesn't leave much of an imprint in my mind so I felt I really couldn't drag this any further than 400th place. The vocals were nice though, but the song is very generic and pales in comparison to the many amazing entries of 2013.

362nd Place – "Face the Shadow" by Genealogy (2015)

I'm very conflicted about this entry as I totally forgot about it during the 2015 contest and was rather surprised that it qualified, but upon re-watching the contest I definitely understood why (to some degree). The song is nothing spectacular but the vocals are great and it's lovely to see Inga (of 2009's "Jan Jan" fame) come back as part of this cute project. It's very forgettable but still very nice. 362nd place is however where I have to cut it.

Armenian Qualifiers · 6 out of 10
  • "Apricot Stone" by Eva Rivas (2010)
  • "Jan Jan" by Inga & Anush (2009)
  • "LoveWave" by Iveta Mukuchyan (2016)
  • "Not Alone" by Aram MP3 (2014)
  • "Qélé, Qélé" by Sirusho (2008)
  • "Without Your Love" by André (2006)
Six entires in the top 250 which is the most out of the 3 countries I've covered so far. All of those were top 10 entries in their respective years so I'm assuming there are no real surprises in this bunch. One of these only barely made the Top 250 though! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
p a v
post May 21 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #14
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
Ooh this looks great and I would probably never be able to finish such a project lmao

Suus hate though mad.gif

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 21 2016, 08:46 AM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Okay, I know a lot of people are anti-Australia for not being an actual European country but I'll be the (probably not) first to say that I'm SO here for Australian domination in Eurovision! They have sent two entries so far and they are both AMAZING. Honestly, I don't feel like dragging this too far to be honest but Australia's entries easily make it both into the Top 250. They have delivered great performances and it's so obvious that Australia definitely GETS Eurovision. Dami Im was amazing last saturday and her vocals were on point and my whole party was so sad that she failed to win, but Jamala was great too so it's ok. I felt like two entries would bias Australia's position in the country ranking though so I dragged them a bit down for having only two entries to show for so far. Their current position in the ranking is 9th out of 43 countries on my list.

Australian Qualifiers · 2 out of 2
  • "Sound of Silence" by Dami Im (2016)
  • "Tonight Again" by Guy Sebastian (2015)
Two out of two entries makes for a perfect 100% qualification record into the Top 250. G'job mate.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 21 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Now for the first country to have won the contest in the 17 years of covered contest for me. Austria is definitely an interesting country for me as they usually send very mediocre entries and even their very worst song I don't necessarily hate. They have missed out on 5 contests since 2000 and have actually only qualified for the final 3 times since the semi finals were introduced. When Austria won I was actually very surprised but since I do like the song I wasn't really mad. Conchita was a great winner and she wore the title with pride. However, that one win was not enough to bring the country to a higher ranking than 36th out of 48.

545th Place – "Y Así" by Global Kryner (2005)

Welp. We start this off with Austria's possibly biggest WTF mome-- oh, wait I still have Alf Poier on this list lmao. Ok, this is still somewhat strange in the sense that it's very unlikely Austria actually expected to qualify with this mess. This feels dated by about 40 or 50 years in every possible sense of the word.

515th Place – "Du Bist" by Tie Break (2004)

Let it be known that I am not a fan of boring early 2000's peace-peace-love-love boybands. I don't know what they're singing about but it feels like it's been done a hundred times before so I'm already over it.

514th Place – "Say A Word" by Manuel Ortega (2002)

Oh geez, the early 2000's slaughter continues. This one is not as bad as the one before but it's not very good either. Very repetitive and just seems a bit desperate. Maybe she's just not into you Manuel, have you thought about that?

479th Place – "Weil Der Mensch Zählt" by Alf Poier (2003)

I honestly dragged this as far as I could lmao because I do not hate this at all. This is one of those songs that is really so bad that it's actually kind of good. I like it when it turns to the guitar riff thingy (idk what it's called) and the song actually makes me smile despite how awful it really is. #sorrynotsorry

463rd Place – "The Secret Is Love" by Nadine Beiler (2011)

Uhh, well. Here the problem is maybe not as much the song itself as it is the lyrics. These lyrics are just Grade-A cheese to be honest. This topic has been overdone so long ago and it just kind of feels like a dated Disney song (and not in the good way like Ukraine did in 2013). She's a good singer though.

412th Place – "Get A Life - Get Alive" by Eric Papilaya (2007)

I'm honestly surprised (and a bit confused) by how many songs contain the phrase "get a life" in the title (in some way or the other): there's 3 of them. Andorra in 2009, Austria in 2007 and finally Montenegro in 2009 (Get out of my life actually, but still similar). I for some reason always mix these songs in my head, and for good reason because all of them are terribly mediocre and generic.

384th Place – "All To You" by The Rounder Girls (2000)

Here we have the Pointer Sisters-- err, Rounder Girls, from Netherlands with their could've-been-a-80's-hit "All To You". This feels dated, even by 2000 standards but it's still kind of fun. They just like being on the stage, which is nice to see.

367th Place – "Shine" by Natália Kelly (2013)

This was originally going to be a lot lower because there are so many "Shine" songs I keep mixing them all up. Upon re-watch I changed my mind and brought it up into the mid-300s where it shall stay. Natália is a nice singer and the song is good, but there have been better songs under that same name.

321st Place – "I Am Yours" by The Makemakes (2015)

Here, the Austrians are finally kicking it up a notch and I think we can all agree this definitely did not deserve the nil points it got in 2015. (Neither did Germany tbf) The singer reminds me a bit of James Bay, but his sound reminds me of something else entirely that I just can't put my finger on. This is a very nice song indeed and we've definitely reached the quality portion of Austrian entries by this point.

299th Place – "Loin d'ici" by Zoë (2016)

Aww, this is probably going to ruffle some feathers. I did enjoy Zoë on the stage and she looks like a very nice person which kind of helped her performance in this ranking (not gonna lie). The song is cute but not very much more than that. I'm still a bit surprised that she qualified and then went on to place 13th in the final because really screams "DNQ" for me even though I do like it. I'm glad she did though because she did deserve it.

Austrian Qualifiers · 2 out of 12
  • "Rise Like A Phoenix" by Conchita Wurst (2014)
  • "Woki Mit Deim Popo" by Trackshittaz (2012)
Oh geez that's not a very good record is it? Only two songs out of the 12 they have presented made the final, and I'm guessing one of them is probably a big shocked to you guys. Conchita was obvious, but Trackshittaz - the absolutely last song in the 2012 contest - probably would have left a long time ago for most of you. Not for me though, this one sailed through easily just like Conchita did.

This post has been edited by jafetsigfinns: May 21 2016, 09:27 AM

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post May 21 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #17
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955
Amazed you managed to compile a list of such magnitude! Whenever I try to do my rankings I'm constantly changing my mind whilst doing it!

I totally agree with your analysis of Alf Poier. A classic 'so bad it's good' Eurovision song.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post May 21 2016, 12:32 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Very much on board with your Austrian and Armenian picks, I genuinely love Trackshittaz. laugh.gif

Although I do have a bit of a soft spot for Boom Boom, it's objectively awful but it's just a bit enjoyable anyway.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 21 2016, 01:56 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Thanks for the feedback guys! Iz, I'm psyched there's actually another Trackshittaz fan here! Me and my group of friends listened to it a lot back in 2012 tbh and I was sad that it didn't qualify sad.gif

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post May 21 2016, 02:11 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Just like Armenia, Azerbaijan have sent so many amazing songs throughout their history in Eurovision that it's no wonder they have never failed to qualify into the final. It is however surprising to many that they managed to win Eurovision in 2011 with such a mediocre song, but lbr 2011 was a really mediocre contest so I for one was fine with them winning. I'm not gonna lie, there's not many songs that will be eliminated in this batch because Azerbaijan have consistently released very solid songs, so it's no shock that Azerbaijan places 15th out of 48 countries on my list.

460th Place – "Day After Day" by Elnur and Samir (2008)

The first Azeri entry to fall doesn't do so until almost 150 songs have been eliminated which I have to admit is very impressive. This song however is the only entry of theirs that doesn't click with me at all. The wannabe Axl Rose thing is tired and the song leaves absolutely no lasting impression with me. Easily their worst entry yet.

306th Place – "Start A Fire" by Dilara Kazimova (2014)

This is something totally different from the previous eliminee. Dilara has a beautiful voice and the song really is touching but there's just something missing. I do somewhat regret not having let this one slide into the Top 250 now that I'm thinking about it but I did eliminate it for a reason so here it must stay.

Azerbaijani Qualifiers · 7 out of 9
  • "Always" by Aysel and Arash (2009)
  • "Drip Drop" by Safura (2010)
  • "Hold Me" by Farid Mammadov (2013)
  • "Hour of the Wolf" by Elnur Hüseynov (2015)
  • "Miracle" by Samra (2016)
  • "Running Scared" by Ell and Nikki (2011)
  • "When the Music Dies" by Sabina Babayeva (2012)
A very impressive resume indeed, though many of these songs will be among the first 100 songs to fall in the Top 250. Azerbaijan know what they need to do to do well in this contest and it somewhat seems like they have absolutely studied the formula.. or just borrowed some Swedish songwriters every now and then. Whatever they're doing, it works.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:38 AM