BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time Travel
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 23 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #1
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Discuss the science fictional concept of time travel in this thread.

The idea of being able to travel in time is one of my biggest dreams ever! It's one of the main reasons why I love sci fi movies and tv shows like Doctor Who wub.gif

I think I'd be more interested in travelling to the past than the future if I'm honest. I'd love to see historical moments from last year, 10 years, 100 years, millions of years ago. It would just be so amazing so see. I'd also love to just go back in time to when my family was young and stuff, even see myself as a kid laugh.gif I love watching old movies and stuff for this reason really.

The way technology is going I'd say we probably will get time travel invented eventually, but I doubt it'll be like what I'd want it to be, like you will probably have to be really rich to afford it or there'll be so many rules and it just wouldn't be the kind of thing I would be looking for.

So yeah, time travel though wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post May 23 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I'd love to be able to travel back in to the past as well! Obviously only as an observer, the idea of being able to mess with the past freaks me out!

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 23 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ May 23 2016, 06:51 PM) *
I'd love to be able to travel back in to the past as well! Obviously only as an observer, the idea of being able to mess with the past freaks me out!

Yeah I meant to say that as well, I wouldn't want to change anything, historical or personal events, it would just get too messy haha kink.gif

But I would like to interact with the past rather than just be invisible like watching a movie. Just be able to do anything you want without it affecting the future.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 23 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #4
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

As a fictional topic, it's nearly always a fun thing to do. So many pleasing tropes can be invoked and it's all subtly different (in mind-bending ways) from universe to fictional universe. So yeah, a fun thing to watch and time-travel films/episodes of TV are normally among my favourites overall - Back To The Future and ST:DS9's 'Past Tense' are two of the best in my mind.

To actually do, probably less fun - quite apart from relativity making it an impossibility to go backwards at least on current dimensions, you have to assume that the universe is not aware of itself and finds ways to bend itself back to any 'correct course' like fiction sometimes does to explain how things aren't changed except for the one variable that does change and instead that any and all butterflies you step on will cause countless different people to be born and a myriad of different outcomes even if you take the greatest of care to not mess with history.

Although as a keen historian I can't say I wouldn't really want to observe tons of historical events, that would be the holy grail for clearing up so many older periods of history.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 23 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #5

That post Iz *.* wub.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 23 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #6
masala me

There are few social situations I find more comfortable than a classic geeky time-travel debate.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post May 23 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #7
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I'm now trying to decide which historical events I would like to witness. There are too many laugh.gif

Fall of the Berlin wall is a big one tho

+Quote Post
dancember
post May 23 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #8
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

If time travel were to be invented, we'd only be able to travel forward in time.

Not sure if I'd want to do it if I can't go back to the present, don't want to run the risk of travelling to an apocalyptic future..

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post May 23 2016, 06:17 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(PVRISPVDVM @ May 23 2016, 06:49 PM) *
Discuss the science fictional concept of time travel in this thread.

The idea of being able to travel in time is one of my biggest dreams ever! It's one of the main reasons why I love sci fi movies and tv shows like Doctor Who wub.gif

I think I'd be more interested in travelling to the past than the future if I'm honest. I'd love to see historical moments from last year, 10 years, 100 years, millions of years ago. It would just be so amazing so see. I'd also love to just go back in time to when my family was young and stuff, even see myself as a kid laugh.gif I love watching old movies and stuff for this reason really.

The way technology is going I'd say we probably will get time travel invented eventually, but I doubt it'll be like what I'd want it to be, like you will probably have to be really rich to afford it or there'll be so many rules and it just wouldn't be the kind of thing I would be looking for.

So yeah, time travel though wub.gif

i've always had an obsession with how people lived during world war 1/ 2, going back to wartime would actually apeal to me

their'd be a lot of hard things- and things i take for granted now that you didn't have back then, but it would be worth it.

going back to interview henry the 8th would be fun... what a man!. 6 wives.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 23 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(bipolar angel @ May 23 2016, 07:17 PM) *
i've always had an obsession with how people lived during world war 1/ 2, going back to wartime would actually apeal to me

their'd be a lot of hard things- and things i take for granted now that you didn't have back then, but it would be worth it.

going back to interview henry the 8th would be fun... what a man!. 6 wives.

I should also add that one of the things I wouldn't like when going back in time is if I were to find myself in a high risk of death situation like in the middle of a war laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 23 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

love the concept and mind-bending consequences of time travel, like Iz so many of my fave TV shows and films feature it. I love unwrapping the chains of events. It is impossible of course to travel back in time, because there is no such thing as time, there is only space-time and they are one and the same as far as we know, by-products of gravity and other mind-boggling stuff. If theoretically you went back in time you'd find yourself in space breathtakingly far from home unless you could affect space-time, cos the earth spins, goes round the sun, the sun goes round the galaxy, and the galaxy goes around a super-cluster of galaxies, who all go around an ever-expanding universe - we are all moving incredibly fast even if it doesn't feel like it! laugh.gif

Still love the concept though! Moving into the future is very possible - just travel very very very fast somewhere and then return. It's a one-way trip though! Which is also a fab sci-fi concept - I read a book called Time For The Stars when I was 13 (Robert Heinlein) which blew my mind - 2 telepathic teenage twins were split up, one went to the stars able to communicate with his rapidly ageing (to him) twin, and returned to meet his brothers grandchildren. Great adventure for a 13-year-old cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 23 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #12
masala me

The Dark Ages Early Middle Ages & Late Antiquity would be my period of choice, just to confirm or disprove tons of things about figures like Arthur, Alfred, Ragnar Lothbrok, Justinian, Constantine, Attila, Alaric and the Goths, Clovis and the Franks, Charlemagne, Jesus, Mohammed. Because we know comparatively so much about history 1500-onwards and so comparatively little for many parts of the world pre-1000 (Scandinavia, Africa, the Americas, certain parts of Asia especially), it's always the legendary bits of history that I'd want to see to see how it actually occurred and if hypothetically you could get back and forth and bring this information into the present it could have a wonderful effect on the world.

Future I'd be fine going to actually, I'd prefer a way to come back but if there wasn't I'd be okay with it... Think then, I'd have 50-60 more years of history to live that I wouldn't get to see otherwise and all the previous periods would be well documented so I could look all of that up. I love seeing history unfold but sometimes I wish it'd unfold a little faster.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 23 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #13

I'm scared to find out the future tbh, both personal and general laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post May 23 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #14
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Going to the future would be an interesting one. For two reasons mainly:

1) To see if I have become a successful journalist
2) If Michelle McManus actually did perform at my wedding

A really fascinating but terrifying concept at the same time.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post May 23 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #15
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

QUOTE(Jade @ May 23 2016, 11:40 PM) *

and to see if I duetted with her of course wink.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post May 24 2016, 04:11 AM
Post #16
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

Ooh I am all for traveling back to the past. My favorite pieces of history tend to be old maps, so I'm sure wandering around my town at various intervals would be fascinating for me, except for possibly seeing my parents as kids, hmm. I can think of some other places I'd want to see, too. It'd be great just to have a closer look at how people managed to live without all the luxuries we're so used to. I'd be sure to listen to the radio a lot too! The furthest back I'd want to go is about 50 years, so relatively not that far.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post May 24 2016, 04:29 AM
Post #17
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I'd like to protect the timeline Rip Hunter style

+Quote Post
troublepink
post May 24 2016, 05:22 AM
Post #18
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

As a huge fan of Outlander, I'm very interested in the concept of time travel laugh.gif
Not gonna lie, last time I went to Inverness I went to Clava Cairns and hoped I'd end up in 1700's Scotland and bump into Jamie Fraser tongue.gif

If it was an actual thing (time travel), then I'd definitely want to visit the past and not the future smile.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 24 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ May 23 2016, 11:40 PM) *

I doubt she's got anything else planned for that weekend laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post May 24 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #20
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

Add me into the fascinated with it because of TV PILE. I think, like IZ, I'd probably want to go back in time more so than forward. Purely because we have so many unanswered questions about history and the past, not least The Bible/Jesus. Though of course being proven right might not be as much fun if it brought about a breakdown in society, but being able to say 'TOLD YOU SO' would be too sweet to pass up.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 05:00 PM