BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Modern Art
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
dancember
post May 26 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #1
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

yep, modern art has gone that far that someone can put a pair of glasses on the floor as a prank and people will think it's art laugh.gif

does buzzjack have any fans of modern art of the ridiculous/minimalist kind then and if so WHY? (I'm genuinely baffled as to how art pieces like these/these sold for millions)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 26 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Yeah the trends these days are often bizarre. I feel the same when various videos/vines etc. get popular and I don't see how/why it gets popular a lot of the time, especially when it doesn't posses a particular unique or interesting quality.

This example tho is somewhat amusing to me for some reason laugh.gif maybe I'm only amused because it was intended to be amusing, yeah idk

+Quote Post
liamk97
post May 26 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

We had to study shit like this when I did art A-level. All you need to do is conjure up a meaning for any old rubbish and, hey presto, it's considered art! But even then, most art galleries don't give away the meaning and it is up to the audience to make something up. I'm all for something that's abstract and unconventional but, to me, art has to look aesthetically pleasing alongside that deeper meaning.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post May 26 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(danG @ May 26 2016, 09:48 PM) *
(I'm genuinely baffled as to how art pieces like these sold for millions)

I quite like all of those pieces kink.gif

I'm all for most things to do with art. My knowledge in the area is limited, but my appreciation for it is huge. I dabble in some of it sometimes, mostly photography-related. The glasses thing is slightly amusing to me more than anything, I don't judge tho, the human race makes little to no sense.

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 26 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #5
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

A lot of minimalist actually has a deep theme and concept running through it though, if people just look at it, go "oh that's shit there's nothing there" without looking at the piece and giving it some thought as to what it could represent then they are missing out IMO.

I've spent the last two years making art that has a theme in it and a few pieces are really minimalist, not quite to the standard as some of the pieces there, but I am well aware that people who pass it will just go "boring" and move on, if they don't have it smacking them in the face with their concept then they aren't interested.

Case in point, one of my friends just make a stunning piece that is just coloured and black threads, a plaster carded circular piece and some black and white pieces of wood on the floor. Someone might look at it, not see the point and move on, but since i know the meaning behind it (she has synesthesia and see smusic as colours and used to be able to play the piano without needing sheet music, the strings are the "notes", the wood the piano keys and the carving a representation of her ear. She wasn't allowed to continue playing and so her piano was taken away which is the point of the keys being on the floor and the threads going from coloured to black) I can appreciate the simplicity and what everything means. I also know how much effort went into making something that might look simple.

More of often than not there is an artist's statement nearby giving som explanation to the art too anyway.

Rant of an artist over kink.gif

+Quote Post
*Tim
post May 26 2016, 08:59 PM
Post #6
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

I hate art. I legit don't get hoe looking at eg paintings can be entertaining. I appreciate the old stuff that is part of history etc, but other than that I genuinly cannot be bothered

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post May 26 2016, 09:03 PM
Post #7
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(danG @ May 26 2016, 09:48 PM) *
(I'm genuinely baffled as to how art pieces like these/these sold for millions)

Oh god most of them are so basic and unoriginal sleep.gif to an extent I suppose the spaziale (that word *.*) and the Peinture are fairly interesting but my god the money they are getting for it is way too much. And the stencil/white line ones selling in the 10s of million dollars drama.gif

This post has been edited by PVRISPVDVM: May 26 2016, 09:04 PM

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 26 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #8
Ooga Boo

QUOTE(liamk97 @ May 26 2016, 09:53 PM) *
We had to study shit like this when I did art A-level. All you need to do is conjure up a meaning for any old rubbish and, hey presto, it's considered art! But even then, most art galleries don't give away the meaning and it is up to the audience to make something up. I'm all for something that's abstract and unconventional but, to me, art has to look aesthetically pleasing alongside that deeper meaning.

You clearly didn't study it hard enough then. Very rarely do you get an artist who will just throw together a flimsy concept after the complete their work, it's always the starting point of an artwork for a serious artist. There might be those who fart things out with no meaning but IMO they are not real artists, you need to do it because you want to say something and make a statement. Granted it might be to mock certain trends but even then it began with a concept in mind.

This post has been edited by Regina: May 26 2016, 09:05 PM

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post May 26 2016, 09:10 PM
Post #9
don't lose your way
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

I used to not get the point of art much (I was always awful at it which didn't help). Now, I love looking at all the intricacies of detailed paintings and spotting all the hidden meanings in there, particularly art that I know has a lot of attached meaning to it. And that makes me realise that there isn't art without meaning, if it means something to someone.

Minimalist art, it's harder to see there but I know if I know the background, like, say take Regina's examples, if I saw the pieces you're talking about I'd now know the background so I could appreciate them. If I'm ever in an art gallery I have to read the descriptions fully so I understand it all better and can try and get a bit of the understanding that the artist has.

But yeah, I wouldn't say it's any less valid as art. If people want to pay millions for it, that's their prerogative.

+Quote Post
Slade
post May 26 2016, 09:14 PM
Post #10
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I find quite a lot of the art in those links ugly or uninteresting. I guess it's just the meanings/history that turn them from junk to important.

I do really appreciate art when there is a combination of it looking visually wonderful and a great meaning behind it. So I'd only dismiss some examples of modern art if there was really no point to it.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post May 26 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Regina @ May 26 2016, 10:04 PM) *
You clearly didn't study it hard enough then. Very rarely do you get an artist who will just throw together a flimsy concept after the complete their work, it's always the starting point of an artwork for a serious artist. There might be those who fart things out with no meaning but IMO they are not real artists, you need to do it because you want to say something and make a statement. Granted it might be to mock certain trends but even then it began with a concept in mind.

Oh you got that right! tongue.gif Perhaps I was a bit hasty writing off all modern art though and it was more a dig at those like the photo in the OP who fall about silly over something that little thought's been put into. Something like your example would grab my attention because I would be able to see that thought has gone into it and I'm already liking the sound of it from the description you gave, but, when it's a dot on a white canvas or a pair of glasses on the floor (I know that was a prank, but it's not far off what others do) requires little imagination to me, even if there was a lengthy description given. That's the sort of thing that appears to me as something that someone has made up a meaning to rather than the meaning being the starting point.

I must also add that I find student's art SO much better than what I've seen in galleries. Maybe that's because I've seen the effort put into it / known they will have had to put a lot of effort in.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post May 26 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #12
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Pretty much echoing Grant here, I do actually like really minimalist paintings etc if there's a purpose to it, like it's symbolising something. That's the thing about art, even if there isn't an obvious reason or meaning behind it, each person who views it can interpret it however they like... think of it as a song, I'm sure you have songs in your library that make you think of a particular person, time, scenario etc or it means something really personal to you, that's not going to match up with what the singer/band intended it to mean as they probably wrote it about something specific to them, that doesn't make your feelings about it any less important though wink.gif It's the same with a lot of paintings.

One of my favourite phrases is "art is how we decorate space; music is how we decorate time" it shows the similarities between the two although music really is art too imo laugh.gif

+Quote Post
liamk97
post May 26 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(ℒ𝓲𝓷⻤ @ May 26 2016, 10:21 PM) *
One of my favourite phrases is "art is how we decorate space; music is how we decorate time" it shows the similarities between the two although music really is art too imo laugh.gif

I love that phrase too; to me it just shows how essential creativity is to jazz up something that's so vast and bare on its own like time and space.

Oh God, I'm going all modern artist as we speak! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dancember
post May 26 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #14
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I guess if certain minimalistic art pieces are given context like Regina's example I'd appreciate them more, but I just prefer to look at something visually appealing and that a lot of effort's gone into it rather than just colour thrown on a canvas.

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 26 2016, 09:43 PM
Post #15
Ooga Boo

QUOTE(liamk97 @ May 26 2016, 10:21 PM) *
Oh you got that right! tongue.gif Perhaps I was a bit hasty writing off all modern art though and it was more a dig at those like the photo in the OP who fall about silly over something that little thought's been put into. Something like your example would grab my attention because I would be able to see that thought has gone into it and I'm already liking the sound of it from the description you gave, but, when it's a dot on a white canvas or a pair of glasses on the floor (I know that was a prank, but it's not far off what others do) requires little imagination to me, even if there was a lengthy description given. That's the sort of thing that appears to me as something that someone has made up a meaning to rather than the meaning being the starting point.

I must also add that I find student's art SO much better than what I've seen in galleries. Maybe that's because I've seen the effort put into it / known they will have had to put a lot of effort in.

More often than not thought HAS gone into a piece though. Even something as simple as a white line on a blue background. You need to think about colour (blue is a depressing colour and can represent saddness, cold etc. White represents hope and purity), composition (the line being in the middle could show its iportance for example) and scale (the blue areas being much larger could show depression ruling over a person and the white line could signify the lack of hope or hope being overtaken and running out) A simple painting can pack a punch if you gave it some thought.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post May 26 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Regina @ May 26 2016, 10:43 PM) *
More often than not thought HAS gone into a piece though. Even something as simple as a white line on a blue background. You need to think about colour (blue is a depressing colour and can represent saddness, cold etc. White represents hope and purity), composition (the line being in the middle could show its iportance for example) and scale (the blue areas being much larger could show depression ruling over a person and the white line could signify the lack of hope or hope being overtaken and running out) A simple painting can pack a punch if you gave it some thought.

That's probably the point where we differ. I appreciate the meaning but it would be better applied to something that had more to it visually for me, even if it did remain simple.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post May 26 2016, 09:57 PM
Post #17
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I was friends with a lot of Fine Art students at Uni and went to some of their shows, there were lots of different art forms including minimalist examples, one of the pieces was a sign saying 'event at 7:30' and when everyone was gathered at that time...nothing happened ;o Everyone has different meanings for their work and it can be conveyed through art - it may not be as pleasant to look at as a fine oil painting, but that doesn't mean any less effort went into it's production, context and wider meaning. I'm not an actual art student (well, a form of art, but not the practical side, I was a bit crap at that oops) myself so can't really say I'm 'in the know', but I do feel when I'm at a gallery, like Iz said, I always read the descriptions and it makes me see it in a different light.

The great thing about art is it can take so many forms and abstractness and it invites new interpretations, someone could see it completely differently, that's what's so fun about it, and modern art if anything is greater as it's not obviously 'art' in the traditional sense as a nice painting, it's taking on a new meaning and encourages more interpretations and thinking about it, and I just love pieces that encourage things like that where it isn't just spelled out in front of you. It's a bit of brain work

(Can you tell I was an Arts student? magic.gif but srsly, my speciality, film, is a form of art and gosh, do I love dissecting films and finding hidden meanings, it's how I've come to appreciate art a bit more)

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: May 26 2016, 09:58 PM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post May 26 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #18
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Your reaction to the piece (absurd or otherwise) IS the art, you become a part of it. Like with 'The artist is present'

I do find it odd how it is still referred to as modern art though since Duchamp's fountain was 1917, NINETY-NINE years ago!

+Quote Post
Regina
post May 26 2016, 10:29 PM
Post #19
Ooga Boo

QUOTE(liamk97 @ May 26 2016, 10:49 PM) *
That's probably the point where we differ. I appreciate the meaning but it would be better applied to something that had more to it visually for me, even if it did remain simple.

But then it might lose it's impact and meaning if there was more detail? Being simple doesn't mean it's not visually impressive or any less wortny of being called art than something with loads of detail. Too much detail can ruin a piece and smother the true meaning of the piece. If it does the job with its simplicity then why add more just to please people?

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post May 26 2016, 11:42 PM
Post #20
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Anyone got that meme of Britney Spears as a work of art?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 01:57 PM