BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What influences your musical preferences most?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
What influences your musical preferences most?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
vidsanta
post Jun 1 2016, 06:11 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

The artist's appearance/image, or their music?

Come on, be honest... teresa.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cremey
post Jun 1 2016, 07:00 AM
Post #2
white girl wasted on brown liquor
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 4,089
   No Gallery Pics

It depends what you mean by 'image'. If they have well-executed visuals and videos I'll certainly be more interested (and great album artwork often draws me in), but I don't care what the artist looks like in the slightest. 90/10

+Quote Post
M.
post Jun 1 2016, 07:12 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cremey @ Jun 1 2016, 08:00 AM) *
It depends what you mean by 'image'. If they have well-executed visuals and videos I'll certainly be more interested (and great album artwork often draws me in), but I don't care what the artist looks like in the slightest. 90/10

+1

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Jun 1 2016, 08:26 AM
Post #4
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cremey @ Jun 1 2016, 08:00 AM) *

OK then - e.g.

If Justin Bieber looked like Shane MacGowan (pre dental work), would his music still have the same appeal...?

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Jun 1 2016, 08:29 AM

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 1 2016, 09:23 AM
Post #5
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I'd say 90/10. Image only matters to me for acts I already LOVE. Take Madonna for example, her current image/styling is abysmal and I cannot find a good thing to say about it, yet I still adore her music. Lady Gaga would be another (perhaps more salient) example, her ludicrous visuals were never the thing that put me OFF her music, it just happened that they coincided with her music becoming unlistenable too.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 1 2016, 10:25 AM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Urm just their music? tongue.gif

If I Stan for an artist enough I'll be interested in hearing their singles or even their albums as well. Or I will listen to them if they are getting a lot of hype. With the artists I maximum Stan for like Avicii and Owl City I really go in depth and try to find those sneaky unreleased material that sites like Wikipedia don't tell you about tongue.gif oh and I don't really look into personality with artists unless I just randomly feel like it or just stumble upon something in their Wiki page wink.gif

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jun 1 2016, 12:38 PM
Post #7
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

The music is what I'm here for and what will draw me to an artist. Any impressive visuals are just a bonus that will help me appreciate their work more. For example, I fell in love with Lady Gaga's 'The Fame' when much younger and then I soon fell in love with the 'Paparazzi' video, subsequently making me very interested in her music videos as well from then on.

(Basically what Cremey said)

+Quote Post
Ninjabait
post Jun 1 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 22,088
   No Gallery Pics

It's 100% music, to be honest. I only get interested in an artist's "image" after I discover I like their music. And it's mainly just to the extent of knowing what influenced or inspired their music, so I can better appreciate the music itself. Like, Shostakovich's 5th symphony is really cool by itself, but if you know about the historical context of it (it's basically a giant middle finger to the Soviet Union and Stalin disguised as a state-sponsored "praise", and all the censorship and threats that inspired it), it really just takes on a whole new meaning and you appreciate it on a different level.

I'm not really interested in the modern sense of "image". Y'know, who's dating who, what certain celebrities are wearing, etc. I guess, if I'm more interested in any sort of "image", it'd be more the background than the celebrity. And even then, mainly just the stuff that influences the music.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 01:07 PM