BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poll : Opinions & freedom of speech
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Opinions
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
vidsanta
post Jun 7 2016, 05:17 PM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jun 7 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #2
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I picked the truth, even if it is upsetting as generally I believe we as citizens should have the right to freely speak our mind. HOWEVER when this is at the expense of peoples safety, I think that is where it has to be controlled. Extreme racism, homophobia etc should not be tolerated.

+Quote Post
santa's sack
post Jun 7 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #3
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

The truth. I personally believe that even if the truth hurts, it's the best thing to say - regardless of how it makes people feel, I'd rather be honest than have to change my opinions to make other people feel better. Honesty is the best policy, as some crap first school teachers said.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jun 7 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #4
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Ooh this is an interesting topic. It's natural to want to know the truth but sometimes it can hurt and make a mess of things. It's one of those difficult things and you just have to hope that the person you are telling the truth to can understand why it was difficult for them to spill the truth tea. Hm

+Quote Post
Cameron
Post #5
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

The truth, I can't stand people who are all nicey nice to your face but complete backstabber's when you're not around. If you have a problem, say it to someone's face, I am pretty sure we are all big enough to handle it.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
Post #6
feminist icon

I think the case of Anders Breivik is interesting to look at here. He exercised his right of opinion by killing 77 people, thus proving the point having complete freedom of opinion and speech is dangerous

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post Jun 7 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #7
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

The truth, backstabbing fake people are the worse and I'd rather be upset then be clueless and lied to.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 7 2016, 05:25 PM
Post #8
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(Cameron @ Jun 7 2016, 06:22 PM) *
The truth, I can't stand people who are all nicey nice to your face but complete backstabber's when you're not around. If you have a problem, say it to someone's face, I am pretty sure we are all big enough to handle it.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but people like to hide behind someone with power who can make things go away.

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Jun 7 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #9
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

The Truth Even if upsetting too, Its nice to be honest, just as long as its not their too honest that it comes across as too mean if that makes total sense. Thats my stand on the matter.

Oh and like Lotti yeah no Homophobia and racism that should be controlled.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jun 7 2016, 05:30 PM
Post #10
dreadlocked hair don't care
Member No.: 13,530

Honesty is good but I think some people, and you can see it on shows like Big Brother at times, use it to hide the fact they're actually just being nasty for no real reason. I definitely believe in "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" because it's the way I was brought up. Of course there are times where you need to be brutally honest to people though.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jun 7 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #11
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Oh yeah, when looking at things in terms of Racism and Homophobia, keep it to yourself! People don't need some low life to tell them what they already know laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 7 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #12
Ooga Boo

QUOTE(JoeyJeppssonWall @ Jun 7 2016, 06:30 PM) *
Honesty is good but I think some people, and you can see it on shows like Big Brother at times, use it to hide the fact they're actually just being nasty for no real reason. I definitely believe in "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" because it's the way I was brought up. Of course there are times where you need to be brutally honest to people though.

Honesty isn't always nicey nice though, so by saying that people should only say something if it's nice is like saying you don't believe in freedome of speech. You shouldn't silence someone or make them feel bad just because you don't like what they have to say.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jun 7 2016, 05:36 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Regina @ Jun 7 2016, 06:34 PM) *
Honesty isn't always nicey nice though, so by saying that people should only say something if it's nice is like saying you don't believe in freedome of speech. You shouldn't silence someone or make them feel bad just because you don't like what they have to say.

I don't believe in being nicey nice all the time either, lying is by far the worst option in the poll above, but certain things, if it doesn't personally affect you, I believe can just be ignored. People are welcome to share their views of course but sometimes it's better to keep it to yourself, that's just my view anyway!

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jun 7 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #14
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I'd rather hear the truth. I'm human and get upset by things sometimes, but I'd rather it was this way rather than not knowing where i stand. Those sort of lying/not knowing where you stand mind games are even more draining than being upset by something you didn't necessarily WANT to hear, but was the truth.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jun 7 2016, 05:39 PM
Post #15
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

The truth, always. I'd feel offended being lied to in any circumstance and would lose a lot of respect for anyone would do it, and saying nothing at all is either cowardly at best or almost dictatorial at worst.

There's a difference between freedom of speech and hate speech. Using the former to validate the latter is idiotic. Likewise, saying something that is clearly wrong or offensive in a moral/social way shouldn't be seen as the 'truth'.

This post has been edited by Chez Wombat: Jun 7 2016, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 7 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #16
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I'd rather hear the truth, because if it's going to hurt I'd rather know I'm doing something wrong or upsetting somebody or whatever rather than being allowed to do it without knowing. With people I always feel I like to know where I stand, whether tat happens to be good or bad.

As for freedom of speech, I kind of said this in the transgender thread but while yes everyone can obviously air their opinions, that's fine, freedom of speech has a limit. The right to have negative opinions obviously goes too far if you're going to assault or even murder people for it, obviously that's an extreme but it's just one example. Same goes for hate speech - just because you have an opinion against transgender people or homosexuals doesn't mean you should say it. Their right to live without prejudice and persecution kind of confounds with the right to free speech but I think a right to a comfortable life matters more than airing an opinion tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 7 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #17
Ooga Boo

QUOTE(JoeyJeppssonWall @ Jun 7 2016, 06:36 PM) *
I don't believe in being nicey nice all the time either, lying is by far the worst option in the poll above, but certain things, if it doesn't personally affect you, I believe can just be ignored. People are welcome to share their views of course but sometimes it's better to keep it to yourself, that's just my view anyway!

Turning a blind eye to things can be just as bad as lying IMO.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 7 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #18
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Jun 7 2016, 06:22 PM) *
I think the case of Anders Breivik is interesting to look at here. He exercised his right of opinion by killing 77 people, thus proving the point having complete freedom of opinion and speech is dangerous

Umm... there's a massive difference between exercising free speech and downright slaughtering 77 people.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jun 7 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Regina @ Jun 7 2016, 06:45 PM) *
Turning a blind eye to things can be just as bad as lying IMO.

I think it depends on what it is really, it's a case by case kinda thing, I don't believe that people should just share a nasty opinion to someone's face for the sake of it, but as I said before, it's called for sometimes. I totally see where you and others are coming from though, don't get me wrong, I guess I'm just basing it on personal experience heehee.gif

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jun 7 2016, 05:47 PM
Post #20
feminist icon

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 7 2016, 06:46 PM) *
Umm... there's a massive difference between exercising free speech and downright slaughtering 77 people.

yes I see that, and I probably should've edited this onto my previous post. Obviously this is an extreme example of someone exercising what they believe to be THEIR freedom but my point still stands.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 08:10 PM