BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rudebox, the album: The reviews, Warning: Spoilers inside
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
suse
post 6th October 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 403

I think a lot of "other people" are interested in this. I have been perusing a few general type forums and Pet Shop Boys forums and a lot of people say they will buy it...whether they like it or not is another matter. From what I can tell so far by all these great reviews is that it certainly isn't boring.

Burslem Normals seems to be getting a bit of a mention in the last few reviews too, and the Uncut review didn't even mention She's Madonna and Lovelight. It obviously is more than an album with a few hits and plenty of fill cheer.gif .
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 6th October 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #22
Group icon
The Last of the Rock Stars
User: 368

Here's what I think. And I may be way off. But anyway.

I don't think this album will sell particularly well among Robbie's 'normal' audience. I'm generalising big time here and I accept that. But I would suggest that most Robbie Cds in the past have been bought by the casual music fan. The 20, 30, 40 somethings who buy a couple of Cds every year, who like to sing along when driving the kids to school. The guys and gals who like to belt out Angels at Karaoke.
In fact, the people who do in fact buy Dido and James Blunt.
These people ain't looking for innovation or anything too leftfield in their music. They like sing-a-long tunes.
In the main, they ain't what I guess we'd term 'serious' about their music.

I work beside a lot of people who have bought Robbie Cds in the past. I have friends and family who have done likewise. And I hear the same thing from them again and again. ' I liked his early stuff like Angels and Millenium. But his new stuff is too weird. What's that Tripping all about?' Radio? Rudebox?
They don't 'get' his newer stuff. Rudebox will have terrified them. I saw the reaction of the audience around me at Hampden. Shock and horror. ohmy.gif

But you know what? I think that's great. I don't think Robbie is intending his target audience for Rudebox to be 50 year old housewifes who pick up a copy in Tesco when doing the weekly shop.
I think his target audience should be the 'serious' music buyers who do appreciate something a bit different. A bit deeper. A bit more experimental.
But I don't think this 'new' audience will buy Rudebox straight away. After all, in the UK anyway Robbie is seen by lots of 'indie types' as some sort of joke. They aint gonna be queuing up in HMV on the 23rd of Oct to buy Rudebox. That's why I'm not convinced the first week sales will be especially high.
But I'm hoping if this album is as good as people are suggesting then those who have never considered buying a Robbie album before might take the 'risk'.

I think Robbie is desperately looking for credibility. Hopefully he'll get it with this album.

( I obviously exclude all of us on Buzzjack from being casual music lovers. We are music experts. We see Robbie's true talent. Others just haven't caught up with us yet.)

+Quote this post
Dory
post 6th October 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 374

I think you are right Jupiter - I'm not expecting first week sales to match IC, But I have seen a number of people on other forums who have never bought previous albums , but are suggesting they may give this one a try.
I suppose a fair bit may be depend on what promotion it gets in the run up to christmas - which may be tricky since the tour continues...

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 6th October 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #24
Group icon

Oh, and another thing to take into consideration when looking at UK album sales-

the On-Line retailers.

-HMV now ships from Jersey
-Woolworths now ships from Jersey
- You can now buy from Amazon Jersey at cheaper prices than 'normal' Amazon.
-CD101 ships from Jersey.

Apparently nothing shipped from Jersey counts towards the UK charts. ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 6th October 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #25
Group icon
"God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of
User: 254

It is so very hard to predict. I mean I do think his core fanbace will buy it definatly so it's guarenteed to sell over 200,000 first week. But casual fans probebly won't. Then again as it has been mentioned many Pet shop boys fans will buy it and possible Madonna fans. happy.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 6th October 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #26
Group icon

QUOTE(jupiter9 @ Oct 7 2006, 12:14 AM) *

Oh, and another thing to take into consideration when looking at UK album sales-

the On-Line retailers.

-HMV now ships from Jersey
-Woolworths now ships from Jersey
- You can now buy from Amazon Jersey at cheaper prices than 'normal' Amazon.
-CD101 ships from Jersey.

Apparently nothing shipped from Jersey counts towards the UK charts. ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif blink.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 6th October 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #27
Group icon

I know Scotty. ohmy.gif

It was someone on here who told me about that. Maybe E-Motion or This Is Pop? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Dory
post 6th October 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

cd-wow / Bangcd ship from hongkong - they don't count either happy.gif
I'll probably buy from Asda - hate waiting for post on new releases.

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 6th October 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #29
Group icon

What do they count for then? They are still thousends of copies of the album being sold blink.gif

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 6th October 2006, 11:09 PM
Post #30
Group icon

That's why you can't compare sales figures over the years.
All these On-Line retailers shipping from 'off-shore' plus all the legal album downloads which ain't counted towards the album charts either.

They say Robbie albums have been selling less in the UK over the years but they probably haven't. It's just the way people buy music has changed and the charts haven't caught up yet. dry.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 7th October 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #31
Group icon

Pop Justice STILL have'nt posted a review sad.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 8th October 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #32
Group icon

WHAT THE UK PRESS IS SAYING ABOUT RUDEBOX
Check out with the press in the UK is saying about the Robsters new album 'Rudebox'

MOJO - 4/5 - "Rudebox is another flick of the Vs to all those who doubt the substance behind Robbie William's incorrigible irrepressibility...An Intriguing , funny and inventive listen... A golden showcase of millenial pop."

UNCUT - "The Funniest, most adventurous and liveliest record of his career... A career high."

Robbie Williams - Rudebox - Out October 21

Thanks to TRWS happy.gif

+Quote this post
Dory
post 8th October 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

QUOTE(jupiter9 @ Oct 7 2006, 12:24 AM) *

That's why you can't compare sales figures over the years.
All these On-Line retailers shipping from 'off-shore' plus all the legal album downloads which ain't counted towards the album charts either.

They say Robbie albums have been selling less in the UK over the years but they probably haven't. It's just the way people buy music has changed and the charts haven't caught up yet. dry.gif

The situation is the same for all artists - but it does make it difficult to compare. Surely they should count all CDs shipped TO the UK, regardless of where they come FROM ?

I think legal album downloads do count towards the charts (since sometime earlier this year) - but they don't make aup a big proportion of sales. I'm too old for the download thing happy.gif - I still want something tangible to hold for my money - along with the artwork, lyrics etc...

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 8th October 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #34
Group icon

Oh, I didn't know album downloads now counted. I thought it was still just singles. huh.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 10th October 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #35
Group icon

Music Week Hearts Rudebox
robbiewilliams.com

We knew it was good. And now music industry bible Music Week agrees as it names Robbie's forthcoming album as its album of the week.

The magazine describes the new album as "bonkers, witty...and hugely likeable". It also credits Robbie for being brave to "step out of his comfort zone" to do something "truly new". And of course we all whole-heartedly agree!

Applause please!

yahoo.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 10th October 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #36
Group icon

here is the review from music week, thanks to Mikey for typing it biggrin.gif

ALBUM OF THE WEEK

Robbie Williams: Rudebox

It is a brave artist who steps out of their comfort zone and attempts to do something truly new, so credit is due to Robbie Williams for being different. Rather than attempt to rewrite Angels ad nauseam, he has brought in a large team to produce a bonkers, witty, occasionally self-indulgent but hugely likeable record. With second single Lovelight playlisted by The Mix and Capital, and following his recent live dates, the boy's profile is high too

+Quote this post
Jupiter9
post 10th October 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #37
Group icon

yahoo.gif

'Bonkers'. I like that word. happy.gif

+Quote this post
monsoon
post 10th October 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 978

Mojo and Musicweek are on our side, who cares about Q tongue.gif yahoo.gif
Thanks to Scotty and also Mikey of course for that review, always nice to hear some praise for our man and his music. Especially lately rolleyes.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 10th October 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #39
Group icon

QUOTE(monsoon @ Oct 10 2006, 08:13 PM) *

Mojo and Musicweek are on our side, who cares about Q tongue.gif yahoo.gif
Thanks to Scotty and also Mikey of course for that review, always nice to hear some praise for our man and his music. Especially lately rolleyes.gif

Don't forget Uncut. Vicky, The gay times and NME gave it a good write up on their site so I wonder when they will do a reveiew in their mag unsure.gif

+Quote this post
De Niro
post 13th October 2006, 12:54 PM
Post #40
Group icon

It's the album of the months in Italian Mag XL yahoo.gif

Robbie Williams-"Rudebox"
THE KING OF POP MAKES A "WEIRD" RECORD:ALL 80'S-ORIENTED. AND HE ALSO DEDICATES A TRACK TO HIS FRIEND-RIVAL MADONNA.

MANY COVERS,IMPORTANT GUESTS (FROM THE PET SHOP BOYS TO LILY ALLEN),AND LOTS OF IRONY IN ROBBIE WILLIAMS' BRAVEST ALBUM EVER.
The king of brit-pop is not tired. Prolific like ever before, he has filled up his new album with well 17 tracks.Robbie claims to be a child of the 80's, and Rudebox is a declaration of love to that decade,as if music was born only then, and not before.Lots of lyrics,covers,quotes,..you feel kind of "dazed" by such an abundance of contents. This mix of different sounds features rank-high covers, like Human league's "Louise" or Stephen Duffy's "Kiss Me", or praises -with due irony- the biggest pop icon of our time,ie Madonna, in the song "She's madonna", and it's even more personal and introspective, especially in two rap-oriented tracks, The 80's and The 90's, which Robbie is really proud of and that try a descriptive approach of the flowing time. So,the feeling you get from this record is that Robbie is growing a real artist and is probably getting sick of the showbiz glittery faƧade: in "the Actor" he pitilessly plays with the deceitful world of Hollywood movie stars that he has discovered ever since he moved to Los Angeles. And in "good doctor" he plays the part of a miserable and annoying star which holds on to his doctor like a drug addict to his pusher. And in "we're the pet shop boys" he creates a surreal short circuit: the song isn't by the pet Shop Boys but they had covered it and he covers their cover with their help. More recent is the cover of subversive Manu Chao's"king of the bongo", with the help of Lily Allen,whom he discovered while recording the album.Robbie, the cheeky king of modern hedonism,chases his memory,asks himself different and new questions, and he has a lot to say.This is his most complex and bravest record ever. His new dancefloor has larger walls and through its windows he can see wider portions of the world outside, but millions of people will still be dancing in it.
Rate:4/6
Reviewed by G.Castaldo- XL- October 2006-issue number 14

Thanks to yellow from TRWS yahoo.gif

+Quote this post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 6th June 2024, 11:23 PM