BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Edge of Glory 5 years on, dancing in the flames ~
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausAlone
post Jun 17 2016, 07:46 AM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

5 years ago today, Lady Gaga premiered the music video for the third single off 'Born This Way'. The music video itself wasn't met with the greatest of receptions with many fans not taking to its simplicity and lack of plot or exciting visuals but the song has cemented itself as a firm favourite for many.

Featuring music from Clarence Clemens (who passed away shortly after the release) and euphoric, uplifting vocals throughout, it's a clear standout amongst her discography. The song was born out of the death of her grandfather and how the passing of life can be a special and glorious moment. Hugely important for Gaga, the public warmed to it and it became a big commercial and critical success.

The final track on the album that flatlines as the album dies, it's the perfect send off to an album all about living life to its fullest. What do you think of the single, the music video and the song's release 5 years on?

Born This Way • 5 years on
Judas • 5 years on

Born This Way album • 5 years on
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Jun 17 2016, 09:14 AM
Post #2
Together we are more.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,042

This along with 'Paparazzi' and 'Dance In The Dark' are the holy trinity of Gaga songs imo. Such a euphoric, uplifting pop song. Never fails to put me in a good mood. I don't think she'll ever top those three for me. She might come close, but these 3 are pretty much my perfect modern day pop songs.

I was extremely disappointed that the video felt lackluster. Although I kind of get it now, I still wanted more. I really think the 'You & I' video would've suited this song extremely nicely.

Brb, just gonna play this on repeat.

EDIT: Also lovely to see the video less than 700k away from being VEVO certified on it's 5th anniversary. (It might actually be VEVO certified now)

+Quote Post
pippa
post Jun 17 2016, 12:09 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

The Edge of Glory is one of Lady Gaga's stand out songs. Very euphoric and uplifting and it has aged much better than songs such as Poker Face and Bad Romanace. Both songs i adored at the time but have found them to have aged very badly.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jun 17 2016, 03:59 PM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Such a stormer of a single for Gaga! I remember being so thrilled when this went to #1 on UK iTunes wub.gif

The video was admittedly less spectacular. Me and one of my best friends both got up early for its premiere and both felt a bit disappointed. This was the only music vid of the BTW campaign that I didn't love though!

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Jun 17 2016, 04:22 PM
Post #5
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

You and I was an awful single choixe with an atrocious worst u til Guy or Applause of her career video.

Edge of Glory is her crowning jewel and shoulda been no.1!

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jun 17 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #6
Henrietta R Hippo

This is my favourite Gaga single for me. And my second favourite song from her altogether (behind Dance in the Dark) ohmy.gif I think it's absolutely spell-binding, euphoric and beautiful <3 The music video I can actually appreciate now, it's her battling between heaven and hell (the two coloured windows I believe). Although yeah on the surface it is just her looking less than brilliant dancing around a TV set :')

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Jun 17 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #7
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

What was the commercial that played TEOG and she's like running across a bridge.

THAT should have been the feel of the music video.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jun 17 2016, 05:37 PM
Post #8
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Tyler @ Jun 17 2016, 06:27 PM) *
What was the commercial that played TEOG and she's like running across a bridge.

THAT should have been the feel of the music video.

<3

The original video was scrapped and part of it were used in the eventual 'You & I' video! The mermaid/teal hair parts were all from TEOG but rehashed for that which many people don't know ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 17 2016, 06:06 PM
Post #9
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Unpopular, but I prefer both Judas and You & I to this, but it still ranks up as one of my top 5 Gaga songs.

This and All The Lovers by Kylie are the two perfect examples of euphoric pop perfection.

This post has been edited by Regina: Jun 17 2016, 06:07 PM

+Quote Post
Slick
post Jun 18 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #10
I got hot sauce in my bag, swag
Member No.: 70

I feel like it's not generally remembered as well as 'Pokerface', 'Bad Romance' and so on, but it's a strong, non-complicated, passionate pop song which proves that GaGa is more than capable of awesome, straightforward pop music. I'll have to give it a spin today in celebration of its anniversary.

+Quote Post
Euphorique
post Jun 19 2016, 06:16 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 421

One of Gaga's best, and probably the only single released on that album I still like. Unfortunately it doesnt get much recurrent play, the only song Z100 still plays almost every day is Paparazzi

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 08:37 PM