BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What music did your parents bring you up on?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
TheGhostPensmith
post Jun 21 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #1
TheGhostPensmith 👻
Group: Members
Member No.: 13,208
   No Gallery Pics

This is a question I've given more and more thought in the last couple of years - certainly as my own tastes and avenues for discovering new music are getting a bit 'older', so to speak. I've certainly found myself gravitating towards the music my parents played when we were growing up. These include, but are not limited to:

- Dire Straits, more specifically the 'Brothers in Arms' album which my dad always had on during long car trips when we were little. 'Why Worry' in particular always makes me go a bit misty eyed.
- Phil Collins, 'But Seriously', again, another long car journey stereo staple of my dad's. Big bombastic 80s production, what's not to love?
- The Beatles, largely through my mum who loved them as a teenager.
- Simon & Garfunkel, and also the 'Graceland' era of Paul Simon's solo career
- The Corrs (as de rigeur for any part Celtic family in the late 90s)
- Mary Black (an Irish folk singer)
- Enya (both my parents are fans)
- ABBA (I remember Mum buying and playing 'Gold' a lot at the time of their 1999 renaissance)
- Chas & Dave (my dad mainly. "That's What I Like Mick" he likes especially)
- Boney M (Mum had a budget release 'best of' of theirs which was always on the stereo)

So there's my list of sorts...what's yours?

This post has been edited by ThePensmith: Jun 21 2016, 07:05 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jun 21 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #2
'Run Away With Me'
Member No.: 18,473

Shania Twain, Celine Dion, Meatloaf, bonjovi laugh.gif

I do love a bit of Shania and Celine though.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jun 21 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #3
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Tons and tons and tons of 80's music. My dad likes the 80's alt the Cure-sounding music so I gravitated towards that for a good two and a half years of my life

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Jun 21 2016, 07:33 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

i remember growing up listening to a lot of reggae

bob marley, ub40, etc

carol king, too, and rod steuart (i remember listening to those 2 artists on vinyl)

strange how music tastes change. today i don't like any of that stuff, and prefer to listen to pop/ rock

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 21 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I loved mum n dads music as a kid, then rebelled against it as a teen, then cme back to lovin it

Roy orbison
Beatles
Elvis

Of course there wasnt that much of a generation gap as mum was 19 and dad 20 when i was born so they liked current 60s music as i got into it too age 5 6 7 and obsessing for the charts from age 10 laugh.gif

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jun 21 2016, 07:48 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

My Dad was into a lot of the 70s-80s alternative rock stuff, bits of which I got into, others not so much. Either I didn't make an effort to actively listen to all of it or I just wasn't too into it. He did give me some of his R.E.M. CDs which I was grateful for because I really got into them (although it's been a while since I've listened to them). We also had a few other artists in common later on, but right now I listen to a lot of things that would probably have brought him close to vomiting (e.g. some of the electronic stuff I'm into).

My mum isn't really into music anymore but she used to listen to things like Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Joss Stone and UB40. She used to call 'Red Wine' by UB40 her favourite song.

My parents went to see The Sugarcubes together before I was born which is really cool now that I'm a fan of Björk's. My Dad said that Björk threw him a rose haha.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jun 21 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #7
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

My parents liked Irish country and traditional Irish music. I had to find my own way.

+Quote Post
bipolar angel
post Jun 21 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 20,494
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Mattias @ Jun 21 2016, 08:48 PM) *
My Dad was into a lot of the 70s-80s alternative rock stuff, bits of which I got into, others not so much. Either I didn't make an effort to actively listen to all of it or I just wasn't too into it. He did give me some of his R.E.M. CDs which I was grateful for because I really got into them (although it's been a while since I've listened to them). We also had a few other artists in common later on, but right now I listen to a lot of things that would probably have brought him close to vomiting (e.g. some of the electronic stuff I'm into).

My mum isn't really into music anymore but she used to listen to things like Norah Jones, Katie Melua, Joss Stone and UB40. She used to call 'Red Wine' by UB40 her favourite song.

My parents went to see The Sugarcubes together before I was born which is really cool now that I'm a fan of Björk's. My Dad said that Björk threw him a rose haha.

hey my mother said that too, about red red wine being her fave song.

she had the regular version, and also the extended one- couldn't stand it personally, any of ub40.. just not my style at all

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 21 2016, 08:06 PM
Post #9
Ooga Boo
Member No.: 5,572

Anything and everything really, but some standouts were Shania Twain, Celine, Sheryl Crow and Anastacia. All from my Mum.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Jun 21 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

In the late 60's, Jim Reeves, Moira Anderson, Matt Monro, Perry Como.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jun 21 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

Mum - Carpenters, Simply Red, Phil Collins
Dad - Elvis and all 50s rock and roll (I was named after Rick Nelson...), country music, classical
Sister - Pet Shop Boys, Take That, Enigma, Ace of Base, The Corrs
Brother - 90s dance stuff like Urban Cookie Collective, N-Trance

I think this is why I pretty much like everything but I was more influenced by my older brother/sister. My general taste is pretty much a combination of those two.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Jun 21 2016, 08:18 PM

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jun 21 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #12
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

My dad brought me up on bands like Oasis and Coldplay, whilst with my mum it was more 90s dance music. Have retained a love for all of that!

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Jun 21 2016, 08:32 PM
Post #13
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

My dad tried getting me into The Beatles at a young age but it didn't really get very far, I was bought my first CD (S Club 7) at about 4 so most of my early music memories come from that! My mum generally likes singer/songwriter type music though and my dad is more indie leaning.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jun 21 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #14
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Oh lord my parents music taste...

My dad loves Tina Turner but listens to bands like Blondie, The Jam and The Clash and in terms of now he likes Maroon 5 (I think) and maybe Bastille (He sings Pompeii a lot). My mum is Robbie Williams (#modgoals @Jadey) , Boyzone, Westlife, etc...

+Quote Post
Nadolig Llawen!
post Jun 21 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

The songs I remember the most from my early childhood due to repeated plays are:

Enya-Orinico Flow
Kate Bush-Wuthering Heights
Beach Boys-God Only Knows
Drifters-Up On The Roof
Carpenters-Close To You
Heaven 17-Temptation
Communards-Don't Leave Me This Way

I also inherited my love of Billy Joel and David Bowie from them but they were more from my pre adolescent years.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jun 21 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #16
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Cameron @ Jun 21 2016, 09:34 PM) *

My dad loves Tina Turner but listens to bands like Blondie, The Jam and The Clash and in terms of now he likes Maroon 5 (I think) and maybe Bastille (He sings Pompeii a lot). My mum is Robbie Williams (#modgoals @Jadey) , Boyzone, Westlife, etc...

laugh.gif oh yes my parents are ridiculously huge fans of Robbie as well! Take That in general really kink.gif

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jun 21 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

Texas, Alanis, Madonna, Oasis, ABBA.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jun 21 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #18
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

My dad loves the Beatles, and quite a lot of alt-leaning stuff and opera, yet he still finds room for stuff like Soulja Boy, Flo Rida and Avenged Sevenfold on his iPod mellow.gif I feel I got my...wide music taste from him. Definitely more so than my mum, who ideally sticks to soul and r'n'b, always the genre I'm least keen on.

My sister is generally urban, with a hint of indie and my brother is an all out metalhead, his favourite bands include Cannibal Corpse (don't look up their song titles), so I have had to find my own way quite a lot!

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jun 21 2016, 09:23 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I found my own music taste from a very early age instead of just listening to what my parents did, but I remember loving 'Tribute' by Tenacious D from my dad (mainly for the video but as a result I ended up enjoying the song) and Robbie Williams from my mum.

If your mum doesn't listen to Robbie, is she really your mum?

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Jun 21 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #20
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Cameron @ Jun 21 2016, 09:34 PM) *

Yea I have memories of my dad making me sit and watch that Tina Turner film with him blink.gif I think maybe I do get my taste from him though in terms of the 70s punk stuff he listens to laugh.gif Like Cameron said, our mum is v much into the old boybands and the likes of Michael Buble and Adele, she does like Meatloaf too :')

They never really made me and Cameron listen to that growing up though, we always had the pop music channels on and the compilation albums, S Club 7, Shakira and Atomic Kitten were our faves angel.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Jun 21 2016, 10:00 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 06:45 PM