BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rule the World vs Patience.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Rule the World vs Patience.
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
pippa
post 28th June 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 14,031
I think many of us will agree Patience and Rule the World are 2 of Take That's finest pieces of work. I believe both songs are excellent and both were huge hits for them. Which song do you prefer and please add some discussion when selecting the song you voted for.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 28th June 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116
Rule The World.

I love Patience an awful lot as well but to me Rule The World is a really stunning epic and well within my all-time top 20. It's so grand and sweeping and you can tell it comes from a film soundtrack as it's such a moment. It's been overplayed to death of course, which is why nowadays I usually listen to the live version from The Circus Live instead, the final couple of minutes of that are just incredible.

I'm forever gutted it came out the same week as Bleeding Love, another modern classic and excellent track but this so deserved to be a #1 single. I also love how you can clearly hear the contrast of Gary's lead vocal and Mark's lower register backing vocals, while Howard actually gets the 'we can rule the world' refrain to himself <3 Honestly, to me it's one of the greatest songs any British act has EVER produced.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 28th June 2016, 08:46 PM

+Quote this post
dylan62
post 28th June 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 23,185
An almost impossible choice. Both songs are wonderful in their own right and I would award both 10. If someone twisted my arm I'd go with RTW. The start of the song has a pure and magical quality and the remainder of the song showcases TT harmonies wonderfully. This coupled with the beautiful melody and soaring orchestration is the reason why I've placed it above Patience.

However, if Patience came out on top I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest. To hear both songs live at Wembley Stadium (Circus Tour) was simply magical. Without doubt two of the best pop singles released by a UK artist in the past 20 years.

Thinking about each song makes me yearn so much for a return to this sound. Roll on Hyde Park smile.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 28th June 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845
This is so tough as both are brilliant, i honestly love both songs. I had a phase where i listened to rule the world on a regular basis for about 3 years. I hadnt listened to patience in a while and i am back into it at the moment and am loving it.

I love the live versions of both more than the studio versions. I think both are just classics. Yes i agree about how frustrating it is that rule the world went up against bleeding love as rule the world had huge opening sales but ended up number 2, its a song that so deserved to have been a number 1. It actually annoys me that songs like Sure have been number 1 and this hasnt. The good thing is its now their biggest selling single and i think it has also out sold bleeding love by Leona but i could be wrong on that.

Now, who do i vote for, Rule the world.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 29th June 2016, 01:46 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Both are amazing but i've gone for 'Patience' as that's my favourite ever Take That song! wub.gif Such a strong comeback. The elongated notes in the chorus are so powerful!

+Quote this post
milly
post 29th June 2016, 03:20 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,540
I go with Patience too - it's better lyrically, in my opinion.
But I do loooove the opening verse of RTW wub.gif

+Quote this post
Bond Bug
post 29th June 2016, 01:23 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 1,966
Easy choice - RTW

+Quote this post
pippa
post 29th June 2016, 01:49 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I have voted for Rule the World.

Patience, they really couldn't have returned with a better comeback apart from Rule the World. Patience did exactly what it needed to do and catapulted them back into the charts with style. It was such a wonderful choice as a comeback single and is also a good song lyrically.

Patience opened the Beautiful World era with style and Rule the World closed the era with style. Rule the world is a classic ballad that builds and builds and truly resonated with the music buying public. Like others have said it is a huge shame it was released the same week as Leona Lewis Bleeding Love as it truly deserved to go all the way to number 1.

Both these songs with Never Forget are what i call the Ultimate Take That songs.

+Quote this post
Kath
post 29th June 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
QUOTE(milly @ Jun 29 2016, 04:20 AM) *
I go with Patience too - it's better lyrically, in my opinion.

We agree again! magic.gif

This post has been edited by Kath: 29th June 2016, 06:44 PM

+Quote this post
milly
post 30th June 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
QUOTE(Kath @ Jun 29 2016, 09:43 PM) *
We agree again! magic.gif

What's the world coming to? laugh.gif tongue.gif

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 30th June 2016, 08:47 AM
Post #11
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Patience doesn't fully click with me, Rule The World is one of their very best IMO, it's grand.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 30th June 2016, 01:29 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Patience clicked with me when i first heard it and i constantly played it. I had a time where i went off it for a while but then came back to loving it again. That said, i was also the same with Shine. When i first heard Shine i was like this is going to be huge and i was so excited about it and it was a wonderful follow up to Patience, it also showed the success of Patience was no fluke. I feel Patience has stood the test of time much stronger and likewise with songs such as Rule the World, Greatest Day and Said It All.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 30th June 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Definitely 'Patience' for me.

+Quote this post
milly
post 1st July 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
For me, Patience was the song that made me fall in love with TT all over again, after Back for Good. Maybe that's why I like it just a teeny bit more than RTW. But, for me, liking RTW less is like giving a student 10/A, instead of +10/A+ smile.gif

+Quote this post
T83:Y96
post 1st July 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #15
Group icon
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
User: 21,319
I love Rule The World, but Patience is in my all-time top 20, so it's easily that.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 1st July 2016, 09:35 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I think its wonderful to read the positivity that surrounds both these songs. Many of the Take That releases ( more so the later releases) have such divided opinion but with Rule the World and Patience everyone appears to rate both very highly which is delighful.

+Quote this post
milly
post 1st July 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
I have to admit there are a few instances where live performances of RTW make me place it higher than Patience. My all time favorite is the one from Concert for Care: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOp2w-1ef3Q
I know that, within the band, the repeat of that performance is impossible, but, for me, it's the best.

+Quote this post
pippa
post 1st July 2016, 03:53 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Rule the World comes across very strong live and much better than Patience from what i have seen.

+Quote this post
dylan62
post 1st July 2016, 07:20 PM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 23,185

Overall, I think RTW probably translates better live than Patience, but only by a whisker. Having said that, the live performance of Patience at Wembley (Circus) tour was absolutely stunning. Both of those songs on that tour were unbelievably moving. I've no doubt they will be on the Hyde Park set list. Will be so pleased if they even get close to the Wembley performances.

And Milly, Gary's performance at CFC was indeed fab. I may be wrong but I think it wasn't long after his father passed away.

+Quote this post
jay727
post 1st July 2016, 08:13 PM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 12,273
Definitely Patience. The lyrics, the performances, the chart performance...it is the greatest comeback song ever. Without it, who knows how successful TT would have been this time around

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 04:45 PM