BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Second EU referendum
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Second EU referendum
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
vidsanta
post Jun 29 2016, 06:58 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

Do you think there should be a 2nd referendum?

If there were to be one, should it be made absolutely clear in advance that the result would this time be binding?

ISTM that if this had been made clear for last week's vote, it would have made people consider their choice a lot more carefully...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jun 29 2016, 07:05 AM
Post #2
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I think there should be a general election with the terms of the exit put up for debate.

A 2nd referendum would be like the treaty that both Ireland, The Netherlands and France voted against but was brought in by the back door by the EU - known as the Lisbon treaty. Unfortunately we have to accept the will of the people, that is democracy - not keep asking the question until you get the answer you want.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Jun 29 2016, 07:07 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

No second referendum and both Boris and May are reportedly not planning to call an election. With a majority of 12 I wouldn't either.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jun 29 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #4
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Jun 29 2016, 08:07 AM) *
No second referendum and both Boris and May are reportedly not planning to call an election. With a majority of 12 I wouldn't either.

I hope they force you back to work Chris. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 29 2016, 08:28 AM
Post #5
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I think a second election is very likely, though it depends on who Labour end up having as leader. If Jeremy stays on, whoever is Tory leader absolutely should consolidate support and will probably end up doing similarly/slightly better anyway.

As for another referendum, I think not. As Dr. Blind said having it as part of an election campaign discussion would work. Personally I think by the time that happens enough will have transpired that not triggering article 50 will become the logical outcome anyway.

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Jun 29 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #6
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think there should be a second referendum, but a general election where parties choose where to stand on the "invoke Article 50 or not" stance. I suspect there would only be a Boris Johnson-led Conservative Party and UKIP suppprting the invocation though.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jun 29 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #7
DROTTNING!
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

There should be a second referendum, but on what deal we accept - the Norway option, the Switzerland option, the Canada option, a different option, or sod it all and just stay.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jun 29 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Common Sense @ Jun 29 2016, 08:07 AM) *

They have said they wouldn't call an "immediate" election. That means they could hold an election next spring and still claim to have told the truth. That would be a novel experience for Johnson.

+Quote Post
Crazy Christmas
post Jun 29 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jun 29 2016, 08:14 AM) *
I hope they force you back to work Chris. biggrin.gif

Well they haven't so far as I'm disabled. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Jun 29 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

I'm quite torn. Because while I feel like it's a cop-out to have a second referendum, I feel like the amount that the country is falling apart already and the amount of people regretting their choice, it also feels wrong to just blindly go ahead with the departure from the EU, pushing the country into deeper shit.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 29 2016, 03:44 PM
Post #11
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I respect democracy but it just worries me that so many leave voters now regret it or didn't realise the consequences when they voted. To think that leaving the EU could be something that the majority of the country DON'T want, because the gap was so small and it seems a lot of people regret voting leave, is pretty bad, but people really should have done their research before voting out of the EU as it's such a big thing, and perhaps they'd have made the "right" decision for them, one that they didn't regret.

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Jun 30 2016, 05:30 AM
Post #12
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

Whatever happens iro Brexit for Britain, at least we've exposed the myth that we're the only Eurosceptic country in the EU. Our vote has given others the confidence to speak out.

+Quote Post
Sceryl_Streep
post Jun 30 2016, 08:44 AM
Post #13
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

I think it's been widely accepted for some time that at least a handful of others have been just as Eurosceptic as the UK. It's just that they have leaders who aren't stupid enough to trust their electorate with such a wide ranging decision, perhaps more so now that they've seen the the nonsense happening here.

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Jun 30 2016, 09:36 AM
Post #14
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qween @ Jun 30 2016, 09:44 AM) *
I think it's been widely accepted for some time that at least a handful of others have been just as Eurosceptic as the UK. It's just that they have leaders who aren't stupid enough to trust their electorate with such a wide ranging decision, perhaps more so now that they've seen the the nonsense happening here.

The problem is, if you ignore high levels of Euroscepticism, it builds up to levels that fuel dangerous extreme-right parties like Marine Le Pen's Front Nationale in France, or a similar one in Austria.

Fortunately in Britain there's never been significant levels of support for parties either of the extreme right or left, because our mainstream parties have always been inclusive enough to encompass most political views. Only when political opinions not covered by any one mainstream party arise, are voters forced to look elsewhere.

Unfortunately, our main 3 parties have been papering over the cracks for so long, that they failed to recognise that the building was collapsing around them. Cameron's referendum was one last desperate (failed) attempt to prop up the building, but win or lose, the problem was never going to go away.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jun 30 2016, 09:36 AM
Post #15
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

There will be a second referendum by 2020 but it won't be on the EU wink.gif

+Quote Post
Umi
post Jun 30 2016, 04:16 PM
Post #16
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Jun 29 2016, 08:05 AM) *
A 2nd referendum would be like the treaty that both Ireland, The Netherlands and France voted against but was brought in by the back door by the EU - known as the Lisbon treaty. Unfortunately we have to accept the will of the people, that is democracy - not keep asking the question until you get the answer you want.

People voted no to Lisbon the first time around for reasons even less valid than the worst reasons of leave voters in this referendum. Calling the second referendum for Lisbon was absolutely the right thing to do, especially as people were significantly better informed the second time around and weren't instead voting on the basis of shit like "THE EU WILL INSERT TRACKING MICROCHIPS INTO US ALL IF WE VOTE YES".

If you think having a second referendum would be comparable to the reruns of Lisbon then personally I would advocate a second referendum.

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Jul 1 2016, 05:23 AM
Post #17
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Umi @ Jun 30 2016, 05:16 PM) *
People voted no to Lisbon the first time around for reasons even less valid than the worst reasons of leave voters in this referendum. Calling the second referendum for Lisbon was absolutely the right thing to do, especially as people were significantly better informed the second time around and weren't instead voting on the basis of shit like "THE EU WILL INSERT TRACKING MICROCHIPS INTO US ALL IF WE VOTE YES".

If you think having a second referendum would be comparable to the reruns of Lisbon then personally I would advocate a second referendum.

The problem when trying to sell something, is that only the pro's are explained - the cons are left to your opponents, and it's too common a tactic to dismiss them as lies or exaggerations. Woe betide your opponents using the same tactics on you, though.

What seems to have been mostly missed though, is that if you believe in a cause strongly enough, you are prepared to overlook little 'inconveniences' like exaggerations on one side, or lost referendums on the other, to get what you want - the end justifies the means, in other words...

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Jul 1 2016, 05:29 AM

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Jul 1 2016, 08:20 AM
Post #18
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

A second referendum? Only if we can have a 'best of three' laugh.gif

Honestly though I think if there was a second, most people would vote to stay, I've read a lot about leave voters saying they regret their vote.

I've hated this whole thing, its torn friendships apart, I've never known the country to be so divided sad.gif

+Quote Post
vidsanta
post Jul 1 2016, 09:36 AM
Post #19
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(troublepink @ Jul 1 2016, 09:20 AM) *
A second referendum? Only if we can have a 'best of three' laugh.gif

Honestly though I think if there was a second, most people would vote to stay, I've read a lot about leave voters saying they regret their vote.

What I've read says different - the number of regretful leavers minus the number of regretful remainers comes to less than the referendum majority.

+Quote Post
T83:Y96
post Jul 1 2016, 10:00 AM
Post #20
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

Well, with Johnson out of the Tory leadership race, a pro-Europe party winning the next general election looks very likely.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 10:34 PM