BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do you still use a camera?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Riser
post Jul 3 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #1
King of nothing at all
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Need some proper input here. I lost my camera last summer and am looking to replace it, but I'm also going to upgrade my phone which will allow me to just take pictures on that if I want. Using the phone camera has tons of advantages, from the convenience of sharing pictures to the ease of not having to carry a separate camera. I've never had a phone capable of taking good pictures so it's hard for me to compare the difference in quality. It would make a lot of sense for me to just get the new phone and not worry about a camera as long as the pictures aren't a big step down from what I'm used to, and I'm worried about wasting all my phone battery on taking pictures and video.

So what do you currently take pictures with? I'm hoping for feedback from anyone who has stopped using a regular camera as well as anyone like me who still prefers using a regular camera. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to consider?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
santa's sack
post Jul 3 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #2
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I've got a Canon 70D which is a really nice portable shooter plus I've got a spare 60D so I really batter my 70D as I don't see much difference in the quality. The 80D is out and I'd like one of those but I destroy everything slowly but surely so I can't sell either of my main cameras =[

In terms of phones my S7 is perfect, the camera is great but I do really love the novelty and feeling of having a chunky camera physically - I can't see me ever fully making the conversion from camera to phone, not in the near future anyway. Camera's are great.

If you wanted a new camera I'd get a 70D, pretty sturdy and well worth the price tag. One day within the next year or two I shall take the leap and purchase an 80D.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 3 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Mobiles are fine for snaps or decent prints but they dont have the versatility and quality of a good camera. Mines a panasonic fixed zoom lens lumix, great for arty shots and composing big file photos for prints of a large size.

+Quote Post
JSG
post Jul 3 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #4
'Run Away With Me'
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,473

Jordan if you are looking for perfect photos i'd go and buy another Camera but honestly any top grade phone nowadays can take a really good photo depending on lighting of course and even then you can usually manually adjust the settings too.

I'd upgrade your phone first and see how well the photos are and if they aren't upto the standard you want i'd then invest in a camera.

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Jul 3 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #5
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I have a canon eos 1200d but to be honest these days I rarely ever use it as its so bulky to carry around! I just use my phone most of the time now, it takes good enough pictures!

I also have a Polaroid camera but the film is SO expensive. I only really use that on special occasions

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 3 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I don't take pictures much in general at all laugh.gif I should really. I guess I just have nothing interesting or different I want to snap most of the time. Now I'm in London I'll be taking a fair few hopefully dry.gif

I have a camera but so does my iPod. The cam is a few years old mind, but I expect it produces better pictures. Maybe I can compare the quality of both? thinking.gif

Camera quality in portable devices hey increasingly better quality so it doesn't surprise me that people don't buy proper cameras so much these days. Professional photographers/enthusiasts will probably still buy proper cameras though most likely.

This post has been edited by memebury.: Jul 3 2016, 08:21 PM

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅsʟᴇɪɢʜ.
post Jul 3 2016, 08:42 PM
Post #7
Heda
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I have a decent camera on my phone but I also have a proper camera that I use a lot, I tend to think of it as my 'professional' one as I do a lot of photography for uni with it, there's just a higher quality and ofc the ability to get various lenses etc, it really depends on what you intend to use a camera for whether you need one separate from your phone. I purposely got a phone with a high quality camera too so that I could still use images from it in my work etc, it's not always practical to be carrying a big camera around with you either which was the main reason I got the phone I did, It means I can take pretty good photos at concerts now too *.* laugh.gif

My camera is really noisey as well, there's no way to discretely take a photo as the shutter/capture sound is SO loud :') I was in this old historical church place near Stirling Castle the other week and I wanted to take photos of the stained glass windows but it was also a place where people were remembering lost ones etc so it wasn't really the time to interrupt someones thoughts with a clicking camera so it was good to have my phone then so I could still take some photos without disturbing anyone happy.gif

oh side note: at least 20mpx is usually what decent phones have if they're good quality cameras (idk if that helps) angel.gif

This post has been edited by ℒ𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼𝒆𝔂: Jul 3 2016, 08:46 PM

+Quote Post
Slade
post Jul 3 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I got a Nikon D3300 camera for Christmas as i had a few photojournalism assignments for Uni in my first year. I felt like the pictures i was taking with the Uni cameras were better than those on my phone, and didn't want to have to rely on taking them out all the time. The quality is noticeably better on my camera (i had to create a magazine recently and the quality of the images was impressive) than my iPhone 5S and i'd definitely favour it for important things like Uni assignments. However as mentioned, it can be a bit of a pain to lug around and doesn't have that instantaneous sharing quality that a phone has - so i'd favour my phone for more casual images (like for instagram or just general family photos or something) as the quality is still good enough in this instance.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jul 4 2016, 01:35 AM
Post #9
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

You're all so helpful! heart.gif You're right, a phone is probably best for family photos etc. where being able to share easily is more important than having the absolute best quality. I do like to take some landscape-type shots too, especially in autumn when the leaves change and winter when the snow falls, and a real camera would be best for those.

QUOTE(JSG @ Jul 3 2016, 04:17 PM) *
I'd upgrade your phone first and see how well the photos are and if they aren't upto the standard you want i'd then invest in a camera.
I think this is what I'll do, great suggestion. I just need to take pictures this weekend for a bachelor party, group photos will look just fine on a phone and that way I can send them to the other guys. So upgrading my phone does make the most sense for me, then maybe a new camera later.

I'm curious to see more responses but this has already been a huge huge help! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jul 4 2016, 06:53 AM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I stopped using a seperate camera around the time I got an iPhone. The picture quality from an iPhone is respectable and I've used a few photos I've taken on my old 5 as desktop backgrounds on PCs and the quality has been good. I now have a 6s and will continue to use this as my primary camera. I should stress that I'm more of a "oooh pretty" photographer rather than someone serious about it as an art.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Jul 4 2016, 01:48 PM
Post #11
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I've got three cameras! Well four if you count the one thats broken laugh.gif My latest one, Sony A6000 is the one I currently use the most, its kinda pricey, but a brilliant little camera. Then I have a smaller Lumix FZ38 for concerts and I also have an old film camera that used to belong to my grandad, but I don't really use that one much. I love taking photos on my phone too (iPhone 6)

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Jul 16 2016, 01:15 AM
Post #12
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Saw this and meant to reply at the time, I was looking through my tabs (I keep too many tabs open because I'm awful) and thought I'd finally get round to it.

I use a Fujifilm FinePix S4500 for "proper" pictures and it's a nice camera, would kinda like an upgrade someday but it's actually good for legit photography, way better than my phone for sure. I love the 30x zoom and ability to focus, albeit auto focus. All too often I forget to bring it out with me though so I default to my phone for unexpected moments (which isn't that often tbh). I also use my iPad if I have it with me and that's good quality (as Apple always is it seems).

Here's a photo I took back in 2014 on my main camera, a nearby reservoir:

Same camera, a 2013 photo of my kitteh cat Inkie:

Another from June last year in Tenerife, some doves were always invading the balcony so I took a few photos, partly for practice but also because I like doves:

I take loads on holidays, there always seems to be more to take pictures of. Like I say I need to take more because I really like photography as a hobby but I never seem to have my camera with me at the right time. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Jacob Alan: Jul 16 2016, 01:16 AM

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 16 2016, 12:34 PM
Post #13
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

Those pictures are really clear *.*

+Quote Post
Jacobauble
post Jul 17 2016, 07:40 PM
Post #14
Merry Christmas <3
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Thank you! <3

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Jul 17 2016, 07:44 PM
Post #15
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 67

I bought a pretty nice Nikon camera just to take good pictures at concerts and festivals.

I literally use it for nothing else.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 12:33 AM