BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '#StraightPrideDay is a mockery of Gay Pride'
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Heterosexual Pride day is a mockery of Gay Pride
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 52
Guests cannot vote 
HausofBallBalls
post Jul 10 2016, 12:31 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 13,007

Social media erupted a few weeks ago with the announcement of Straight Pride Day. The response to the #HeterosexualPrideDay hashtag was largely negative and there was very little "pride" being shown. But the question here, does Heterosexual Pride make a mockery out of Homosexual Pride or should it actually be a thing that is celebrated just like Gay Pride? Many claimed that everyday is straight pride day so this should never even be a thing but surely a celebration for anyone's sexuality should be appreciated...

If you are FOR you believe that Heterosexual Pride is a mockery of Gay pride
If you are AGAINST you believe that Heterosexual Pride is a legitimate cause for celebration

What are your general opinions on #HeterosexualPrideDay? And while at it, take a look at any previous debates and get involved~

Could you ever forgive your mother's murderer?
'Patriotism is an important quality to have'
'Doctors should not have the right to strike'
'Parents should be able to choose the sex of their child'
'War can never be justified'
'The opt-out system for organ donation should be mandatory'
'Assissted suicide should be legalised'
'People who download illegally should be prosecuted'
'Capital Punishment should be reinstated'
'Voting should be compulsory'
'The voting age should be lowered to 16'
'Abortion should be made illegal in the UK'
'Animal testing should be outright banned'
'Vaccines should be a legal requirement'
'Religion does more harm than good'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post Jul 10 2016, 12:35 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Straight people haven't had to fight for equal rights so I view it as completely unnecessary.

+Quote Post
Santas Haz
post Jul 10 2016, 12:39 PM
Post #3
Why don't you be you and Ill Be Me
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,835

I voted against as straight people can go to pride events anyway its not as if there is a ban that its only for LGBTQ people. Its a bit not needed as LGBTQ have had to fight for rights and a day just to celebrate these achievements is great for the community.

+Quote Post
HausofBallBalls
post Jul 10 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #4
Henrietta R Hippo

I must say when I first saw this was a thing, I thought it was a joke to counteract Gay Pride. But on reflection I have no qualms with it and I don't see why I should if it is actually a day to celebrate heterosexual relationships. Let bygones be bygones and if it's not hurting anyone it doesn't have to be a mockery? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If people are using it to downplay gay pride then that's where it becomes an issue.

+Quote Post
HausofBallBalls
post Jul 10 2016, 12:41 PM
Post #5
Henrietta R Hippo

You don't need to have gone through struggle and fighting to be proud in something though, surely? unsure.gif

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Jul 10 2016, 01:39 PM) *
I voted against as straight people can go to pride events anyway its not as if there is a ban that its only for LGBTQ people. Its a bit not needed as LGBTQ have had to fight for rights and a day just to celebrate these achievements is great for the community.

This is an interesting point... Maybe there should be a "Sexuality Pride Day" and have it for everyone?

+Quote Post
Santas Haz
post Jul 10 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #6
Why don't you be you and Ill Be Me
Member No.: 20,835

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Jul 10 2016, 01:41 PM) *
You don't need to have gone through struggle and fighting to be proud in something though, surely? unsure.gif
This is an interesting point... Maybe there should be a "Sexuality Pride Day" and have it for everyone?

I would be more up for that day tbh rather then two separate events

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jul 10 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #7
Bovril Lasagna
Member No.: 5,572

On the face of it, I don't see anything overly wrong with wanting to take pride in who you are, whether it's gay.straight/bi/trans whatever. Like Bal said, if you wanna celebrate being in a heterosexual relationship then do it, it's not a mockery, unless people use it to create drama where none exists.

A big thing about the LGBT is the need for equality, so if one part of society gets a Pride then the others should too surely?

+Quote Post
Dancember
post Jul 10 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #8
future bass fisherman in a tropical house
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

For (and I'm straight). There's not really any need to celebrate "straight pride" when straights are the majority and haven't had to fight for right to their sexuality..

+Quote Post
Conderella
post Jul 10 2016, 01:03 PM
Post #9
alimony butterflies
Member No.: 4,397

Straights would have never ever come up with this concept without the gay pride events. So yes it kinda makes you feel like it only exists to counteract gay pride even though there's still a long way to go until we are all equal in our sexuality. Kind of a stupid idea to be honest. Who the f*** cares. Gay pride is an event that makes you feel proud how far we have come regarding the gay rights. As for this straight parade thing. What's there to be proud about or celebrate really? That you like the genitals of the opposite sex? You had no adversity in your life regarding your sexual preferences or way of life and everything was presented on a silver golden AND platinum plate for ya. So BYE

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jul 10 2016, 01:28 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Yeah, there's no shame in wanting to celebrate love and being proud of who you are, but Straight Pride Day feels like it has been set up deliberately to make a mockery of Gay Pride. That, or the people who call for a Straight Pride Day don't actually understand the reasoning behind setting up Gay Pride and what it stands for, and it's a case of "you've got one so I want one".

+Quote Post
Tinsel Boy
post Jul 10 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #11
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Members
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think there's any need for a day. There's be no call for it if Gay Pride wasn't a thing and it's not like straight people have had to fight for their rights for decades.

However, though I can understand the outrage, some of the comments I saw on Twitter were quite disgusting. 'What have straights got to be proud of?' Well, apart from being themselves? It's all a bit like Jess Glynne being roasted for using #alllivesmatter instead of #blacklivesmatter. It's all a lot of people getting excited over having something to be disgusted over.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Jul 10 2016, 01:44 PM
Post #12
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

I also thought (and kinda still do) that this was just a joke. If it's a legitimate thing then I think it's not so much a case of mocking the point of Gay Pride, more a misunderstanding of what the point of it all is. Pride events, while partly about being 'proud' of oneself is more a case of not being ashamed for being LGBTQIA+ (add relevant letters if I missed any out) and, with the greatest respect, straight people don't generally have to do things like check that there's nobody around who'll give them aggro if they hold their partner's hand in public or self edited their behavior because they thought they were 'acting too gay' so basically, every day other than gay pride day is effectively straight pride day...okay I'm rambling a bit but on balance I'd say that, assuming this is serious, I'd have to go with FOR/Yes.

+Quote Post
Hollyver
post Jul 10 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #13
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

Basing on the use of the word "mockery" I voted against. I don't think the hashtag was set up to be a mockery of Gay Pride; yes it might have been a bit misguided but I don't think there was any malice in it (I didn't get "we've set this up to take the piss out of Gay Pride" from it).

However, what I did find myself thinking when I saw people saying "why should Straight Pride be a thing?", "what have straight people got to be proud of?" etc. was that the opposite was more true, that people were making a mockery of Straight Pride. Everyone should be able to feel proud, to share a blanket view that straight people shouldn't feel proud about anything is just as bad, if not worse.

I know this was a huge minority as well, but I felt like I had to say it because sometimes I feel some gay people take things too personally and out of context in a way to be able to "throw shade back".

+Quote Post
Sugarplumberella
post Jul 10 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #14
the xmas name is a stretch ok
Member No.: 9,403

QUOTE(HausofKubrick @ Jul 10 2016, 01:40 PM) *
I must say when I first saw this was a thing, I thought it was a joke to counteract Gay Pride. But on reflection I have no qualms with it and I don't see why I should if it is actually a day to celebrate heterosexual relationships. Let bygones be bygones and if it's not hurting anyone it doesn't have to be a mockery? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If people are using it to downplay gay pride then that's where it becomes an issue.

exactly, it all lies in the intentions.

+Quote Post
Andrew Sleighs
post Jul 10 2016, 02:25 PM
Post #15
60% amazing
Member No.: 21,161

Omg this pisses me off so much. Pride events exist to celebrate the advancements in LGBT rights and to be in an environment where LGBT people don't have to worry about being judged because of us being ourselves (this happens less these days but is still and I think for ages will be a huge problem). Straight people have no such issue and have nothing to celebrate, so 'straight pride' is pretty pointless.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jul 10 2016, 02:27 PM
Post #16
Balegdah
Member No.: 10,139

I don't really know how to word this, it's not that we have "more" to be proud of because we're gay exactly because everybody should be proud of who they are, but when LGBTQ individuals have fought for rights for so long and still don't get them in many many countries, Pride is needed because it gives us a day and place to be 100% safe to be proud of who we are, and it's not like straight people can't enjoy it too. But straight/cis people haven't fought for rights, they've always had them. It's the same with International Women's Day, it shows the progress of women, and in the same way we don't need and shouldn't have a men's day, because men have always just had the rights just because they are born male.

Anyway it's labelled as Pride usually isn't it, not gay pride, and to me I take it as equality and pride in whoever you are. Loads of straight people go and think/feel the same. It's a time to be proud of you, your friends and your family, whatever their orientation/gender/sex etc., it's a day to feel proud of yourself and celebrate this diversity and what it contributes to society. I agree that there are different intentions, not all people who talk about straight pride mean have bad intentions to drag gay pride but some do.

+Quote Post
Umi
post Jul 10 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #17
ma proie se surestime
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

This is kind of foul. You're either making a mockery out of gay pride on purpose (obviously bad) or by accident (congrats on having no idea why pride is so important to the LGBT+ community?) if you advocate this.

Gay pride was created to show solidarity within an oppressed community, show society that we existed and show LGBT+ people that they weren't alone at a time when LGBT+ people got no positive coverage in the media. Straight pride as a "let us have a party too!" idea gives so little respect to the importance of pride to the LGBT+ community.

I am surprised there is so much support for it on here, it's up there with white history month and the men's rights movement. The sheer existence of a straight pride event would devalue gay pride because people seeing the straight pride event as what it would be (i.e. a pointless party for the sake of it) would assume that gay pride was the same thing, "but for the gays". You may as well just remove gay pride and have a generic "random day to party day day" because when the event has as little meaning as this, why even bother separating the sexualities?

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jul 10 2016, 02:49 PM
Post #18
MAKE ME (LA LA LA)
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

Looking forward to the Straight Pride march of downtrodden wallflower straights in corduroy fistpumping to Hard-Fi.

+Quote Post
Tinsel Boy
post Jul 10 2016, 02:52 PM
Post #19
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I don't think people are supporting Straight Pride, it's a lot more that people are against comments that are equally thoughtless like 'why should straight people be proud?'

+Quote Post
popchartfreak
post Jul 10 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Silly idea.

Someone doing a wind up. Every day is straight pride day in the real world. What they gonna do, pick looks that gays dont use? Do things that gays dont do? No such thing unless they start shagging in the street...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2016 - 08:01 AM