BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How many times do you listen to the semi(s)/AQ(s)/final?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
How many times
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 12 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #1
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

Instead of wanting to know how many times I gotta tell that ass to come over (mellow.gif) I got inspiration to make this poll from mdh who explained why he didn't want to AQ which was fair and an interesting point. I thought I could put it all under one poll also happy.gif

So how many times do you listen to the songs?

I aim to hear the semi at least twice. The first time I hear the songs I get the idea of where they are going and the second (sometimes third) I listen to them in more detail to get a more accurate rank of them and let any songs grow on me before I actually send my votes. I hold my hands up that I don't listen to the AQ(s) in the semi unless I feel like doing so or I'm curious, or if it's playing in a listening sesh when I'm there. I do the same for the final as the semis.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jul 12 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I aim to listen to the semi twice. I usually plan one listen for one day and the second listen the next day. During the listen I usually put together a ranking and when all the songs have been listened to, I spend a few minutes making sure my votes feel just right and if not, do a little tweaking. I only listen to my own semi (unless I'm on plug). Would be nice to have a listen to both semis, maybe I will start doing that eventually.

Then in the final what I try to do is either listen to all the songs twice, or listen to all the songs in full once, and then listen again to all the songs that came from the opposite semi, a second time. Kinda depends on time/my mood. Basically I usually try to make sure I'll have heard all the songs at least twice.

As for the autoqualifiers, I usually just listen to them twice in the final.

All this isn't set in stone btw, sometimes my methods change.

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Jul 12 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #3
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

QUOTE(Mattias @ Jul 12 2016, 04:05 PM) *
I aim to listen to the semi twice. I usually plan one listen for one day and the second and final listen the next day. During the listen I usually put together a ranking and when all the songs have been listened to, I spend a few minutes making sure my votes feel just right and if not, do a little tweaking. I only listen to my own semi. Would be nice to have a listen to both semis, maybe I will start doing that eventually.

Then in the final what I try to do is either listen to all the songs twice, or listen to all the songs in full once, and then listen again to all the songs that came from the opposite semi, a second time. Kinda depends on time/my mood. Basically I usually try to make sure I'll have heard all the songs at least twice.

As for the autoqualifiers, I usually just listen to them twice in the final.

All this isn't set in stone btw, sometimes my methods change.

Oh yea I should maybe have included an option for if you listen to the opposite semi! I don't btw unless I'm on plug. But as one of the biggest reasons I take part in BJSC is for discoveries I should really listen to the opposite semi as there's probably some good tunes that don't make the final that I otherwise wouldn't get to listen to!

+Quote Post
dancember
post Jul 12 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #4
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I listen to the semis twice: once to get used to the songs then another listen on plug

by the time the final comes around only listen to that once (on plug) as I'm familiar with the songs by then and would be giving additional plays to those I like more.

Autoqualifiers get played alongside.

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Jul 12 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #5
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

At least twice for everything, both in semis (and I try to listen to the opposite semi + AQ once if I get time, if I don't I'll have the opposite DNQ mp3s on my computer so I'll get round to them eventually) and final. But in practice more than that as after those twice listens I stop listening to those that haven't impressed me so far and don't seem like they'd grow and start listening more to everything else to cut down it all into my voting range.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Jul 12 2016, 03:34 PM
Post #6
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

It's usually three for me: a quick first listen to all of the songs in succession, then Spotify playlists (if any), then plug.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Jul 12 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah I listen to some songs more than twice as well, if I like them and can't decide where exactly to stick them in my votes, and also I might give a third listen to some of the ones I'm unsure about, if I'm having a hard time deciding if I'd like to vote for them or not. These kinds of re-listens don't take a full listen of the songs necessarily though, I might just listen to maybe a minute of them just to see.

I've always found it difficult to base votes just on one plug.dj listen, I've done that twice I think, the first time I actually felt good about my votes, but then in one of the Re:Loaded contests I was mostly just enjoying the chatter and didn't pay attention to the songs quite as well as I would have when doing my own individual listen. I didn't have time to listen again tho so had to base my votes on just the plug listen and wasn't entirely confident in my votes as a result.

+Quote Post
Dobservance
post Jul 12 2016, 04:29 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

No set rule but tends to be 3 for Semis & 2 for Final as there's fewer new songs to listen to in the Final.

+Quote Post
HausAlone
post Jul 12 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #9
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I used to listen many, many times to every song in each semi and then make playlists and play them back often but the past year or so my interest has waned a fair bit and so it was reduced to one listen to each and then a listen to my favourites to sort them out properly.

+Quote Post
Michael Bubré
post Jul 12 2016, 05:39 PM
Post #10
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

It depends on how quickly I get around to listening but I usually try to do a full listen (sometimes 2) through in order of my semi and then listen to the whole semi again from my favourite through to my least favourite to tweak the rankings a bit before voting. Then do the same with the final. I also listen through the other semi on plug during the semi-final stages.

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Jul 12 2016, 06:09 PM
Post #11
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I have the same system for each - I listen to the whole semi/final once and cut out everything that I know isn't gonna make my votes, and then listen to the songs in the voting window and the ones just outside to determine a final order. Plug/dubtrack have made it very helpful to allocate time to listening, but I do often need an independent listen before I vote.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jul 13 2016, 01:51 AM
Post #12
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

Same method for each: I listen twice from beginning to end to get familiar with everything, then a third listen to make a ranking and narrow it down. Then I listen to the top 15 or so in order of my rankings, usually twice, and adjust as needed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 10:45 PM