BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conversations, Hi
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Aug 8 2016, 10:20 AM
Post #1
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

How good (or not so good) are you at making conversations?

The other night I went to a couple of bars and this lady was talking to me and because I was a bit drunk I didn't feel my usual anxiety but I didn't really have much to add other than responding to the topics she was discussing. I sometimes wonder if it's because I don't have a lot of things going on in my life most of the time and couldn't think of much more to say other that I finished college in computing recently and going to find a computing related job afterwards. I get that I'm not the only one who is quiet in the world but it's just so "weird" that I can say a lot of things on here but not irl, I mean I don't really feel like saying essays in real life fits in conversations either. idk. Like, saying this OP in real life, I'm not sure how that would pan out tbh laugh.gif I look at my threads and think, would they be things I could talk about in real life convos? I'm not sure. Maybe they are and I just get paranoid at the possible response I might get? It's not just irl either, as most of you plug regulars know I'm one who doesn't say a lot other than if I have something interesting to say about the song or artist or I respond to something already initiated in the chat tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joe ho ho!
post Aug 8 2016, 11:01 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 19,931

It varies really. It really depends on the vibe the other person. Sometimes people are open and warm which makes it easier for me, but even the slightest bit of someone being maybe awkward, or less talkative themselves, then i can be quite awkward in return.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Aug 8 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Joe's post sums up my feelings quite well! It can really depend on how at ease I feel with the other person. If they're really friendly and talkative themselves then I am the same back. I usually have a lot to talk about, it's just how willing I am to share my thoughts. A big problem I had in secondary school was being too intimidated to speak to other people because I was scared of being judged, especially in big groups. I've just learnt to somewhat combat my social awkwardness by putting on a confident front. This can be easier said than done, I can still come off quiet to some people but this is just because it can sometimes take me a little while to come out of my shell. Give me time, and caffeine, and we will hopefully have great conversations.

(Also, I'm not great at STARTING conversations in particular, I much prefer someone else starting one and then just going with it.)

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Aug 8 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #4
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I am generally pretty TERRIBLE at starting conversations both online and in real life. There's a few people I find it really easy to talk to and can start conversations with them quite easily but otherwise I am waaay too shy to initiate the chat. Once it gets into the swing of things it tends to be OK although I can be very awkward with new people laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Aug 8 2016, 11:58 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

With people I know I'm fine but online and in real life when meeting new people I'm very awkward laugh.gif It's not QUITE as bad as it used to be but I still struggle sadly.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 8 2016, 12:36 PM
Post #6
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

i'm great.

+Quote Post
*Tim
post Aug 8 2016, 12:36 PM
Post #7
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

Ur horrible at conversations toby, dont lie

+Quote Post
SevenSeize
post Aug 8 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #8
i'm a rebel just for kicks now
Member No.: 14,428
   No Gallery Pics

Pffffft, me at conversations... laugh.gif

Well actually i manage fine when it's someone i know well enough (i.e. family member/person i interact with on a regular basis), but outside of that my social anxiety tends to get in the way. I'm the guy who usually only responds to a conversation when it's directed towards me, as opposed to being the instigator :3

+Quote Post
Winter Wombatlan...
post Aug 8 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #9
The owls are not what they seem
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I have always been utterly shit at starting conversations, but Uni did make me a bit better than I was, so I feel I have at least progressed in this field. Still, I'm not often the one that starts it though, and it often takes a lot of awkward standing before I realise I need to say something.

When I DO get into conversation though, I'm not too bad, like Jade says, I prefer to just go along with something someone else has started and then from then I can progress it to other related areas and so forth. Ah, the joys of being socially awkward :x

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Aug 8 2016, 02:58 PM
Post #10
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

i'm a very chatty person, and working in retail i find it SO easy to strike up conversations with (((nice))) customers laugh.gif it's surprising actually how much people will tell you, i've had some really deep conversations with people before just randomly sparked from what they are buying! i also tend to strike up conversations by commenting on peoples clothes/makeup/jewellery etc or literally anything random like I'll talk to someone about the weather or any kind of event :')

in social situations i am just as chatty, I didn't speak until I was 3 but my mum says since then I haven't shut up laugh.gif

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Aug 8 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #11
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

I'd love to say I am confident enough in conversations but i'm not. I have very low confidence and am socially awkward to in real life. I just find it hard to speak to people when in a big group conversation and get my voice heard. Luckily though I have made some close friends in uni so I know I can easily speak to them just can't speak to those who I don't know it makes me feel awkward and I worry about saying the wrong thing or saying the right thing if that all makes sense.

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Aug 8 2016, 03:05 PM
Post #12
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I think I'm good on some days and not the others. I feel more comfortable when someone else is breaking the ice tbh. I feel more engaged rather than when I start a conversation and they ignore me, and I have this inner conversation in my head where I think they don't like me and I get all flustered. It's kind of a normal emotion to have.

Back in second/third grade, I was horrible at conversations. I had a select people I would play with but with others it felt so awkward you could cut the tension with the knife. I think it's because back in elementary school I was considered the "genius kid" and never really knew the fourth/fifth graders in my school so I kinda had some trust issues back then... It's all good now though.

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 8 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #13
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Aug 8 2016, 03:58 PM) *
i'm a very chatty person, and working in retail i find it SO easy to strike up conversations with (((nice))) customers laugh.gif it's surprising actually how much people will tell you, i've had some really deep conversations with people before just randomly sparked from what they are buying! i also tend to strike up conversations by commenting on peoples clothes/makeup/jewellery etc or literally anything random like I'll talk to someone about the weather or any kind of event :')

in social situations i am just as chatty, I didn't speak until I was 3 but my mum says since then I haven't shut up laugh.gif

i'd punch you in the face if you where serving me

+Quote Post
mdh
Post #14
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I am AWFUL at conversations in real life, unless I'm talking to someone I've already established a positive relationship with. I'm a relatively social person when it comes to talking to peers I'm at least acquaintances with but I tend to avoid social interaction with anyone ELSE unless COMPLETELY NECESSARY. Obviously anxiety plays a role in that but still I'd want myself to be at least a TAD better at talking to [new] people, I feel as though it'd make life a HELL OF A LOT easier.

But on the internet what can I say I'm at least an A++++ at convos x

+Quote Post
*Tim
Post #15
Jemma Lucy of t Seet
Member No.: 16,660

The lies

+Quote Post
mdh
post Aug 8 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Aug 8 2016, 04:01 PM) *
socially awkward

!! This is the phrase I was looking for to summarize it

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 8 2016, 03:28 PM
Post #17
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

Socially retarded

+Quote Post
mdh
post Aug 8 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(toby @ Aug 8 2016, 04:28 PM) *
Socially retarded

considering the level of effort you put into your posts I think that labels more suited to you

+Quote Post
Santa's Coming
post Aug 8 2016, 03:31 PM
Post #19
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
   No Gallery Pics

i was describing myself though.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Aug 8 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

Omg sorry laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 10:08 AM