BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electricity
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
T83:Y96
post Aug 14 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #1
My mother said, to get things done, you better not mess with Maj
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,319
   No Gallery Pics

Electricity: we all use it, everyday in our lives. It charges our phones, keeps our bottles of soda cool in the fridge, and dresses Donald Trump's hair. It is everywhere.

But what are you like concerning your use of electricity? And lights? Are you happy to leave electric appliances running unused for hours while you are out, or must every single thing be off before you leave the house or go to bed?

Finally, if your electricity bill heavy or light? Do you wish you could use less? Do you run into conflict with the fellow occupiers of your home? Discuss.

Personally, every night I make sure the lights are off before I go to bed, and I always switch off the TV if nobody is watching it. Unfortunately, not everyone remembers to press the Off button, or to flick the switch.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Aug 14 2016, 10:26 PM
Post #2
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

my eccentricity powers the forum tbh My mum likes to turn the plug switches off AND unplug the plug to save electric. Apparently a small amount of charge is used even when the switch is off idk

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Aug 14 2016, 10:36 PM
Post #3
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

The UK has desperately low spare capacity - down to around 0.1%. This winter we are 1 prolonged cold snap away from emergency measures (which we have covered for up to a 5.5% margin).

There seems to be no effort within government to sort out the UK's energy crisis, a fact that is highlighted by the recent stalling of the hideously overpriced Hinkley Point C.

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Aug 16 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I really like the idea of this thread for some reason, seems overdue! x Hope it gets a few more replies.

Anyway, I'm always conscious enough about turning off all lights when I leave the room for a long time etc, and I tend to plug out the TV when not using it (don't really watch TV that much anymore anyway, but would like to start curling up in front of it more again soon tbh!)

My grandmother worked in an electrical company and her partner still does as an electrician. They gave me grief when I got my phone charger tangled up once lol

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Aug 16 2016, 11:45 AM
Post #5
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I spend about £20 a month on leccy. I'm not a big user of heating (mine is electric annoyingly) so it probably won't go up much over the winter.

I tend to sleep with a fan on overnight and I'm so guilty of leaving things on standby constantly. I should get better about not doing that to see how low I can get my bill. I'm fairly good about lights but I'm bad for leaving the TV on when I'm no longer watching it.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Aug 16 2016, 11:48 AM
Post #6
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

we don't bother turning off the tv at the plug or any of our electronic devices for that matter (and we have a lot in our household). having all the lights turned off at night is a must though.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Aug 16 2016, 12:00 PM
Post #7
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
Member No.: 2,790
   No Gallery Pics

it's bad that my fav ever noise is the iphone charge ding

+Quote Post
Christmas Cherry...
post Aug 16 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #8
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(#00274E @ Aug 16 2016, 01:00 PM) *
it's bad that my fav ever noise is the iphone charge ding

do u sit there plugging and unplugging ur iphone

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Aug 16 2016, 12:14 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

My phone makes the WORST noise when the battery is about to go empty drama.gif I wonder if I can change it to something else, like idk, birdsong mellow.gif

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Aug 16 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #10
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(princess_lotti @ Aug 16 2016, 01:10 PM) *
do u sit there plugging and unplugging ur iphone

baso

+Quote Post
Slade
post Aug 16 2016, 01:32 PM
Post #11
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I am terrible for leaving my laptop or phone charging WAY longer than they need to. I often start charging them and forget they are charging even when they are on 100%. Oops, need to work on that. Besides that I am fine with electricity usage and always remember to turn the lights off when unneeded.

Edit: That image of pylons in the OP has reminded me that I used to be scared of them when younger, 'cause we always used to get shown safety videos at school with some story about a kid dying when they went to retrieve something that was in one. *shudders*

+Quote Post
Harve
post Aug 16 2016, 01:49 PM
Post #12
when I notice the world is falling apart I will run a bath
Member No.: 4,718
   No Gallery Pics

My new place has an electric meter that you charge up with a card at the nearby Spar (???) so you can see exactly how much you're using every hour on the hour.

I got a wee bit obsessed and went as far as turning off the internet router whenever I left or went to sleep, so it's only meant I've gone over my data because I've forgotten to turn it back on.

+Quote Post
jakewild
post Aug 16 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #13
not 152chris (☻‿☻)
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ Aug 16 2016, 02:32 PM) *
I am terrible for leaving my laptop or phone charging WAY longer than they need to. I often start charging them and forget they are charging even when they are on 100%. Oops, need to work on that. Besides that I am fine with electricity usage and always remember to turn the lights off when unneeded.

Edit: That image of pylons in the OP has reminded me that I used to be scared of them when younger, 'cause we always used to get shown safety videos at school with some story about a kid dying when they went to retrieve something that was in one. *shudders*

in my head when it's @ 100 it just stops

oop

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Aug 16 2016, 02:45 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Yeah I'm so bad at leaving things on charge. My phone is usually on charge overnight.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Aug 17 2016, 03:33 AM
Post #15
King of nothing at all
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

For years I've been very careful about saving electricity and only using lights when I really need them, but I've reeeally slipped in the past year or so. I'm having a bad habit of taking naps with at least one light on in my room and either my desktop running or my laptop plugged in. The desktop won't stay in sleep mode anymore so it wakes itself up, I'm usually in the middle of something and don't want to shut down and often won't bother putting it to sleep at all. Other than that I'm still pretty mindful.

+Quote Post
Candlelit Snow
post Aug 17 2016, 08:24 AM
Post #16
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

This reminds me of a song by Lisa Scott Lee tbh.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Aug 17 2016, 08:28 AM
Post #17
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

In the past 3 months I have used 239.00 kWh

1 kWh = 3.6 MJ (megajoules) which is charged at 11.620p per kWh = £27.77

All the lights in the house are now energy saving and the only thing I have on all the time is the fridge, everything else gets shut down- and especially when I'm away (which is often) zilch is used.

+Quote Post
Snow❄Diploughmat
post Aug 17 2016, 10:24 AM
Post #18
Life is too short for shade.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkMARyxPXw

Amazing electronic dance tune from the 80s cheer.gif

This post has been edited by TheSnake: Aug 17 2016, 10:29 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 12:35 AM