BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Song Labelling, What's the right way to do it?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Aug 19 2016, 11:12 AM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

This subject has been bothering me for ages, but I guess I just never questioned it properly before.

Maybe I'm being slightly OCD about this but how should you correctly label songs in your music library?

For example, most songs you download that have a featured artist will appear at the end of the level in brackets like this;

Mike Perry – The Ocean (feat. Shy Martin)

In this example the artist field only shows the main artist but not th featured artist. The song title field contains the featured artist. This seems to be the preferred labelling choice by most music providers including iTunes and Spotify, and for such scrobbling services such as last.fm, this provides the most information about the song including artwork, and it's how you see the majority of plays appearing.

My personal view has always been that the artist field should really include all artists that feature on the track like this;

Mike Perry feat. Shy Martin – The Ocean

I just feel that looks better and is more politically correct than the previous example.

If anybody here shares my views on this matter, please let me know what you feel should be the standard practice so that my library is consistent throughout! wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HowToPronounceMa...
post Aug 19 2016, 11:18 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I actually prefer the second option as well, both artists right beside each other!

+Quote Post
dancember
post Aug 19 2016, 11:20 AM
Post #3
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

it should always be the first option, so that the song scrobbles to Artist rather than 'Artist feat. Artist' on last.fm which is just messy

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 19 2016, 11:30 AM
Post #4
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

What about times when you get two artists separated by the "&" symbol?

Example;

Craig David & Sigala – Ain't Giving Up

Surely that would be as messy wouldn't it?

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 19 2016, 11:33 AM
Post #5
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

You've also got times where instead of just listing featured artists there's also a separate mention of "with" artists;

Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa & Imagine Dragons – Sucker For Pain (with Logic, Ty Dolla $ign & X Ambassadors)

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Aug 19 2016, 11:33 AM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Member No.: 21,005

I used to put the featuring artists in the Artist field, but when I started using last.fm I need to have it in brackets in the Title field.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 19 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #7
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

Seems stupid that last.fm can't work out that it's the same song regardless of how it appears in your library.

In any case, whenever I would buy a CD compilation they would always list the featured artists before the song title, so that's why I copied that format for my library. I don't really want to go changing thousands of songs with featured artists tbh.

+Quote Post
Umi
post Aug 19 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #8
le compromis n'est qu'un synonyme d'échec
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 14,659
   No Gallery Pics

For me:
Artist - Title (feat. Artist)
Artist - Title (with Artist)

And for Artist & Artist songs I'm inclined to take liberties and label it as one of the above, most likely the second one. As Dan said, if you have last.fm you really can't afford to have more than one artist listed as the primary one.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 19 2016, 12:02 PM
Post #9
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Umi @ Aug 19 2016, 12:46 PM) *
For me:
Artist - Title (feat. Artist)
Artist - Title (with Artist)

And for Artist & Artist songs I'm inclined to take liberties and label it as one of the above, most likely the second one. As Dan said, if you have last.fm you really can't afford to have more than one artist listed as the primary one.

I see your logic, maybe I do need to have a rethink on my labelling.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Aug 19 2016, 12:07 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,472

Most of the time it's all credited artist in the artist title field, but there are some occasions, such as what Dan pointed out (I don't use last.fm but any other situation where having Artist feat. Artist would mess up a list), where I'd prefer the featured artist in the song title field. Either one looks fine to me though, although it bugs me slightly when a source jumps between the two, like iTunes.

Another debate: do you prefer to use featuring, feat., ft., f/, etc.?

+Quote Post
dancember
post Aug 19 2016, 12:19 PM
Post #11
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary @ Aug 19 2016, 12:30 PM) *
What about times when you get two artists separated by the "&" symbol?

Example;

Craig David & Sigala – Ain't Giving Up

Surely that would be as messy wouldn't it?

That would simply scrobble as Craig David - Ain't Giving Up, with no mention of Sigala, so that it goes towards Craig David's artist playcount total. It's just too bad for Sigala that he's credited second. Spotify generally do stuff the way I want it to anyway, but I have an excel spreadsheet of all my songs and their playcounts that I update every so often so it doesn't really matter.

+Quote Post
dancember
post Aug 19 2016, 12:22 PM
Post #12
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Aug 19 2016, 01:07 PM) *
Most of the time it's all credited artist in the artist title field, but there are some occasions, such as what Dan pointed out (I don't use last.fm but any other situation where having Artist feat. Artist would mess up a list), where I'd prefer the featured artist in the song title field. Either one looks fine to me though, although it bugs me slightly when a source jumps between the two, like iTunes.

Definitely feat.

ft. is okay, featuring is too long a word, and f/ is a big NO.

Also I generally prefer using '&' to 'and', '+' or 'x' (e.g. Cheat Codes & Kris Kross Amsterdam rather than Cheat Codes x Kris Kross Amsterdam).

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Aug 19 2016, 12:31 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(danG @ Aug 19 2016, 01:22 PM) *
Definitely feat.

ft. is okay, featuring is too long a word, and f/ is a big NO.

Also I generally prefer using '&' to 'and', '+' or 'x' (e.g. Cheat Codes & Kris Kross Amsterdam rather than Cheat Codes x Kris Kross Amsterdam).

For my personal chart, I use the full "featuring" just because it look 'proper', but I'd generally use 'ft'. or 'feat.' elsewhere. I agree that 'f/' is a no go; it's hideous.

I actually quite like the recent use of 'x'; not entirely sure why other than look unique~ and I don't know why it became a thing. I've not really settled on whether I prefer using symbols or the word 'and'. I like using both and I suppose I'd only really stick to one if it was how the artist stylises their credits (like 'Florence + The Machine'). To use Florence as an example again, if I were to put the word 'and' in there, I'd have to decapitalise 'the' (so Florence and the Machine). I have no idea why but that's just looks better to me.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Aug 19 2016, 12:37 PM
Post #14
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(liamk97 @ Aug 19 2016, 01:07 PM) *

I would always prefer to use "feat." but a lot of songs these days use the shortened "ft." on their artwork;

To take your debate further, what about "x" and "vs" artists?

Thoughts?

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 19 2016, 12:39 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I don't like artists included as part of the song title, myself, it's not as if they are part of the lyric! laugh.gif

I have always listed SONG, ARTIST, FEATURED in that order, and give uncredited acts a featuring too if it's significant enough (such as a vocal contribution, but not production contribution)

+Quote Post
dancember
post Aug 19 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #16
DANTA CLAUS 🤶
   No Gallery Pics

I do like the use of vs. actually, especially as it means something different to just plain old & or x.

Using & when the credit really should be vs. is quite annoying or vice versa.

+Quote Post
Slade
post Aug 19 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #17
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

My initial reaction is to type 'ft.' rather than 'featuring' or 'feat.', though for last.fm purposes I prefer my iTunes library to have this in a bracket.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Aug 19 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(danG @ Aug 19 2016, 01:43 PM) *
Using & when the credit really should be vs. is quite annoying or vice versa.

When would you use 'vs.'? To me it's particularly apt if two DJs are credited, like 'Say You Do' should be "Sigala vs. DJ Fresh ft. Imani". I just feel like both artists have to fight to get their own stamp on the track.

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Aug 19 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #19
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

In terms of tagging on iTunes, it would HAVE to be "DJ Snake - Let Me Love You (feat. Justin Bieber)", and I use that in my personal chart too although sometimes when I type elsewhere I'll write it as "DJ Snake feat. Justin Bieber - Let Me Love You". ALWAYS has to be "feat.", and normally I don't tend to argue with the tags given, if it said "vs." or "x" or "and" I'll use what it says. Sometimes I'll do a bit of jiggery pokery on iTunes though to make it neat, e.g. changing Pretty Girls' credit to "Britney Spears - Pretty Girls (feat. Iggy Azalea)" rather than using Britney & Iggy.

As for uncredited artists, they stay uncredited for me however annoying it can sometimes be laugh.gif (damn you Avicii)

+Quote Post
ionderella
post Aug 19 2016, 12:54 PM
Post #20
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

i accept 'artist1 & artist 2 - song' only when it's needed. like you can't really say whose contribution to the track is bigger. otherwise, it's one artist only and with '(feat. blahblah) (Nicki Minaj Remix) [Magenta Wednesday Gregory Reloaded edit]'. all other versions are ugly af

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 07:40 PM