BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Concert Crowd Etiquette
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 27 2016, 01:28 AM
Post #1
Heda
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

So I've just seen a thing on Tumblr talking about how at one of Twenty One Pilots' recent festival shows, Tyler crowd surfed during Car Radio as he often does but was actually assaulted by the fans in the crowd. They ripped his shirt off of him as well as the mask he wears during that song, apparently. I feel pretty strongly about this as it's disgusting really and should never have happened, especially when it was done by so called 'fans'. A lot of musicians go out of their way to make sure fans stay safe during their concerts and will stop their set if someone needs help, it should be a no brainer that fans share that kind of concern for the band/singer's safety that they're seeing too.

Anyway, crowds at concerts can be pretty intense and sometimes brutal. I thought it would be interesting to hear some of you guys' stories about the sorts of crowds you've been in and the sort of things that you don't like that you see at concerts regarding the people you stand among. Also any particularly positive experiences or unique ones too, if you've got them, what are your standard dos and don'ts when it comes to concert crowds? What are your thoughts on artists coming into the crowd, should that level of interaction be encouraged or is it too dangerous? Same for things like mosh pits etc? happy.gif

A bad or particularly pushy crowd can ruin a concert for me tbh, you can't enjoy the experience fully as you're too busy keeping an eye on the people around you. I've been drenched in beer, been almost crushed by a large man with no awareness of personal space when 'dancing', been hit with water bottles etc. I know everyone's there to have a good time but it's definitely a situation where you need to be considerate of those around you. Of course there's some things that are bound to happen, its a cramped space with lots of people, there's going to be shoving and accidental toe-stepping etc but sometimes it can get to a ridiculous point where people just push for the sake of it, you end up shoulder barged three rows backwards every five minutes and its just sleep.gif . I also hate it when one person shoves by you to get back to their spot or find a friend supposedly but then you look behind them and there's ten more people following and they stop dead in front of you mellow.gif Really the only way to deal with that though (imo) is to give as good as you get, push back etc otherwise you'll just end up at the back of the room unable to see a thing so I can deal with that. Mosh pits however are something I try to avoid, I've been at a few shows where pits have formed but I've always been able to move out the way thankfully but I know at some heavier shows people literally grab you and throw you in and that's something that scares me if it should ever happen to me, it's more the fear of not being able to get out. There was a pit when I saw Tonight Alive but by the end there were two guys in it and instead of pushing one another they ended up doing some kind of highland jig in the center of it together :') . So I think mosh/circle pits are fine as long as it's only involving people who want to be in them. Crowd Surfing, I also think is fine, if the crowd isn't too wild and people are gonna concentrate on making sure the person coming into the crowd is going to be okay. People can also be a bit more handsy in crowds too, maybe they think because they're in a crowd they can get away with it easier but that doesn't matter it's still gross and people should be able to go to a concert, see an artist they love without worrying about some random invading any personal boundaries etc.

On another but related note, I've read a lot of stories about security staff being out of order, being too violent with fans, disrespecting artists etc but that's not something I've witnessed but it does happen, especially at festivals afaik.

This post is a lot longer than I thought it was going to be but it's 2am and It's been a while since I whipped out a babbling essay post angel.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephCarey
post Aug 27 2016, 01:35 AM
Post #2
dreadlocked hair don't care
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Wow at that story about Tyler Joseph mellow.gif Some fans just have no respect, it's ridiculous that they have to try and ruin the fun for others like that.

Honestly most of the time at a concert, I prefer to get seated tickets wherever possible, so I don't really deal with large crowds of people unless there are no seats at the venue. Also I'm not sure the type of music I like really warrants mosh pits or crowd surfing (imagine James Bay crowd-surfing to Hold Back the River lmfao x), but I don't have any problems with it, people should know where the limits are. Sounds like you've got some drastically different experiences to me Lindsey, think I've managed to get off lightly so far.

Regardless of all that, I expect the people around me to have a bit of spacial awareness at concerts. I've had people around me swaying around and bashing into me without a care in the world. Sure, have fun, enjoy yourself, but be wary of those around you. The WORST thing though is at a standing gig, when the people in front of you just have a chinwag the whole way through while you're trying to enjoy the show. You can't see cause they keep moving their heads to hear each other, you can't hear cause they're too busy chatting about irrelevant stuff, if you want to do that, stand at the back drama.gif

Will probably think of more and add later ~

(great thread btw!)

+Quote Post
MerryFlynnmas
post Aug 27 2016, 01:57 AM
Post #3
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,835

That story about Tyler Joseph sounds awful, some fans have no respect sad.gif

I have never been to a concert but I do think any kind of public event could relate to having spacial awareness or respecting others. Just going from place to place people can barge into you without a care in the world and worse don't even say sorry drama.gif I wish I have been to a concert so I can relate more to the thread but I do like the thread idea and the message that comes across it. Good thread idea.

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 27 2016, 02:05 AM
Post #4
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

I prefer standing, even if there's seating available, idk it's just generally a better atmosphere despite all the pushing kink.gif Charli xcx was the worst crowd for me and there wasn't even a pit at that, but there was that much pushing and shoving and barging out the way it felt like i may as well have been in one laugh.gif

Oh yea defo with you on people in front or beside you just chatting away the whole time, like WHY would you do that when you can literally do that any time but you've paid money to see a concert. It's the same with people so out their face they're not going to remember the night, idg why anyone would wanna be that drunk at a concert. Phone's too, a lot of artists are actually telling fans to put their phones away, they're right to do that though as it's so much better to see the stage face on rather than through your phone screen, it's kinda sad how rare it is to go to a concert and not be behind a sea of screens laugh.gif

+Quote Post
CodySleighBell-y
post Aug 27 2016, 02:10 AM
Post #5
Que eu vou jogar bem na sua cara
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Won't people fall asleep in a James Bay concert?

I think the most rowdy I've seen people been in a concert/festival or whatever was during one of Diplo's sets a couple years ago. There was a bunch of jumping and twerking and such. I think I was kinda glad that a bunch of people were drunk so there was more drunk swaying and less mosh pits.

However, I say that there are fans that go WAY overboard, especially at concerts. Weren't there also some reports about Justin Bieber's getting attacked by his fans and that's why he doesn't like to schedule meet-and-greets?

+Quote Post
t=SpunderfulXmas
post Aug 27 2016, 02:27 AM
Post #6
Hang in when the world counts you out and you’re gonna be fine
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,005

tbh when "fans" do things like that for attention then they aren't really fans any more really, more an obsession and they end up craving attention from their favourite artists like a drug. It's when this kind of thing happens that security etc. is overtight and sometimes can ruin the experience for ACTUAL fans even if only slightly but I guess there's things like alcohol consumption that make them maybe a bit more drawn to attention to their faves, but that goes into another topic tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Aug 27 2016, 02:48 AM
Post #7
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

That's awful about Tyler my poor baby </3 "Fans" like that are despicable people. They care more about bragging rights that they met or touched or had eye contact with him/whoever, not caring that said person is hurt in he process.

The worst I've had at a concert is at Marina & The Diamonds when this hulking guy who had to have been at least 6ft 5 or a big guy as well, as in stocky, stood right in front of us with his boyfriend (of about average height), the big guy looked SO miserable and like he hated it and we couldnt' see for a couple of songs but luckily he went to get a drink or something and when he came back realised he'd stand behind so we could see! I prefer standing too, it's a better atmosphere and feels like a full experience and you get right in amongst it with fellow fans, I just love it that way!

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Aug 27 2016, 03:02 AM
Post #8
No wonder there's panic in this industry, I mean please...
Member No.: 67

That's because Twenty One Pilots (and I stan for them so don't get me wrong) has found themselves in the fad scene, full of "fans" there because they are famous, not because they appreciate or even fully grasp the message of their music.

I'm so glad they have found massive success, as they really deserve the recognition. But, I'm really not digging the new fans coming in. And bookmark me, those fans will be gone as soon as their streak cools down. And TBH, I'm kinda ready for that to happen. I was a member of a closed fan group on Facebook and it used to be just fans discussing lyrics and their love for them, but as soon as 'Heathens' and 'Ride' became follow up hits to 'Stressed Out' you saw people coming in talking about how they think anything before 'Blurryface' is shit and fangirling about how they are hotter than [insert other it boy of the moment]. Those are the people ripping up Tyler's clothes while attempting to create an amazing moment for the audience.

Had to remove myself from that shit. Fad fans ruin everything. And I'm really not a music snob, I stan for Britney... but, I hate when people allow the charts to tell them if a song/act is good or not. (With that being said their success has also brought in some brilliant fans, so I'm not hating on all).

+Quote Post
Riser
post Aug 27 2016, 03:04 AM
Post #9
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

QUOTE(Lindsey ♌ @ Aug 26 2016, 09:28 PM) *
Anyway, crowds at concerts can be pretty intense and sometimes brutal. I thought it would be interesting to hear some of you guys' stories about the sorts of crowds you've been in and the sort of things that you don't like that you see at concerts regarding the people you stand among. Also any particularly positive experiences or unique ones too, if you've got them, what are your standard dos and don'ts when it comes to concert crowds? What are your thoughts on artists coming into the crowd, should that level of interaction be encouraged or is it too dangerous? Same for things like mosh pits etc? happy.gif
My standard do/don't would just be to make sure the people around you can see and hear the show and have a reasonable amount of space, depending on how crowded it is. I've never minded crowd surfing or mosh pits but I've never seen it turn into something dangerous like what you described.

I've never really witnessed any crowd issues at a concert until I saw Florence + The Machine this summer. The venue was outdoors and it rained, umbrellas were allowed but the group in front of us were blatantly blocking our view with their umbrella until someone yelled at them. That was while most people were sitting, by the end everyone was standing so it didn't matter. The family behind us was worse though, talking through every song and being SO LOUD. They said they lived two states away which means they drove 6-7 hours for a concert that they didn't even pay attention to. sleep.gif

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Aug 27 2016, 07:15 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I sense an ideal opportunity to post this, as shown before Public Service Broadcasting gigs.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Aug 27 2016, 07:35 AM
Post #11
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

^ Hehe! PSB are a fantastic live band!

I prefer gigs where you are standing too, and a few times when I was younger I did get in amongst the mosh pit and from what I remember it was great fun - but now that I am older I just can't keep up so prefer to just dance in the more subdued &older crowd. What I've always hated is people moving between songs - at Latitude there was so much of this going on, especially during the New Order set that I was really enjoying - it can really ruin things, especially when you get those ridiculous chains of about 10 people all moving at once. Please just wait until the damn song has finished, grr. As already mentioned people with phones held up in front of your face, and talking all the time is also very annoying and distracting.

As for lead singers jumping into the crowd, well Yannis from Foals ALWAYS does this during "Two Steps, Twice" so you kinda know that it is coming now - but I think it depends on the band, personally I don't want the singer jumping on to me but I guess some people really enjoy it so don't have a problem with it as long as nobody is hurt. I remember one time at the O2 in Bristol Yannis jumped down from the top balcony into the crowd but he is crazy.

So my favourite venues are the more intimate smaller places like the O2 in Bristol where you can stand, although now I think about it the Corn Exchange in Cambridge where you can be seated as well, sometimes it is great just to sit down at my age!

+Quote Post
Cassidy
post Aug 27 2016, 08:42 AM
Post #12
i'm massive
Member No.: 41

Not so much an issue at festivals but at concerts a few times I've been left wondering HIGH HEELS, REALLY?

+Quote Post
mdh
post Aug 27 2016, 08:50 AM
Post #13
it doesn't matter, we're all together
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Oh, there's a thread for this. Nice. I was up really late because my phone went off with a few of my friends letting me know about the incident, and at first I was really shocked because I thought it'd be so uncharacteristic for a clique member (a fan) do such a thing, but the chances are the people causing the damage were just trendhoppers watching top for the sake of it.

Either way it's a shocking way to behave when you're unprovoked and have no reason whatsoever to do so, and it's a shame there's little to no chance of the culprits of this coming to light and apologising.

This affected me a lot as I idolize Tyler and it's vile to see someone you look up to so much fall victim to such a horrid attack. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but I just can't get my head round WHY someone would do this unless Tyler has genuinely upset them...

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 27 2016, 09:01 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

seats! own personal space. watch Suedehead's PBS youtube, says it all, but I'm saying it anyway laugh.gif

Done standing gigs for 35 years - you CAN get more of an atmosphere, but the downsides:

tall people standing right in front of you

gabbing girls talking all the way through

bloody mobile phone recorder obsessives

pissheads and drugheads ruining it - eg Madonna at Wembley in the 80's, mini-kiddie Madonna's on daddy's shoulders blocking views of pissheads for long distances behind ended up getting bottles of piss thrown at them. Wrong on every level, especially for those of us in between sprayed with the contents...

usually the above, causing a crowd surge, very dangerous, young people at the front pass-out

sweaty-bodies rubbing against you

looking the acts on stage right in the eye is very disturbing - one obscure support act guitarist actually singled me out for comment cos I was admiring the only thing good about them - his guitar work. He accused me of looking at his pants. What I SHOULD have shouted was "Not looking at your pants mate, just can't believe your shit guitar work". What I actually did was go red and gargle "agh!" in shock... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Aug 27 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #15

I'm guilty for being that tall guy. But I can't help that I'm 6'5. sad.gif

But my height also got me a shoutout from Britney saying "I love you too", while screaming "YASSSS BITCH I LOVE YOU, DO YOU HEAR ME????". I waited for her to go quiet before starting 'Everytime' on the Circus tour.

-plays Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This-

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Aug 27 2016, 09:15 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tyler @ Aug 27 2016, 10:07 AM) *
I'm guilty for being that tall guy. But I can't help that I'm 6'5. sad.gif

But my height also got me a shoutout from Britney saying "I love you too", while screaming "YASSSS BITCH I LOVE YOU, DO YOU HEAR ME????". I waited for her to go quiet before starting 'Everytime' on the Circus tour.

-plays Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This-

my main concert mate is also tall, I don't blame him either laugh.gif The plus side is he creates a lot of space behind us so I dont get so squeezed. I'm only 5'8 (average height back in the day) which causes a problem as younger generations tend to get taller and taller. They are growing taller just to annoy me, I'm sure tongue.gif

I used to balance on a coke can to get an extra 6 inches. Insert punchlines here......

+Quote Post
Tyler
post Aug 27 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #17

Lmaoooo. That's an interesting topic though. The tallest anyone else in my family is, is like 5'9.

My best friend wore 7 inch heels to the concert so she didn't have to worry about that issue either.

Me and my entire life in one shower pic;

+Quote Post
Yuki On Ice~
post Aug 27 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #18
masala me
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 12,929

Jesus at that Tyler story. People can really have no respect. I mean, quite apart from the assualt, the man is singing the song you came to listen to (or at least other people did if you are one of those people who's posted instagram lyrics to Heathens because it 'really gets you' but couldn't pick the band out of a lineup otherwise), let him sing. And crowd surf although he might be thinking twice if some fans are like that and then that part is ruined for everyone else. Some of them are probably obsessed fans beyond the music though and that's worse, that they could use the opportunity to get close to an 'idol' and go way too far.

Being in a standing crowd at a concert is often amazing and something I should do more (read: attend metal concerts). The main one that had an effect I can think of right now is Muse, in a pretty tight venue. The energy that ripples through the crowd on upbeat songs like Uprising is completely exhilarating with everyone jumping around you and that's the sort of experience I love going to concerts for. At one point during that concert though, what I could only describe as a large-scale brawl broke out next to where we were standing and for a while it was a battle to maintain our place and not get uncomfortably jostled around by some juveniles throwing themselves at each other. Not to mention if you didn't fight for your position you would get pushed further back behind tall people during the course of the concert. Thankfully it was only part of the concert but it was distracting to my joy at seeing Muse live and listening to the songs. Moshing around together is fine and wonderful, setting up a ring in the crowd to fight is really not.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Aug 27 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,161

That's a terrible story about Tyler ohmy.gif How can they call themselves fans?

+Quote Post
ʟɪɴᴅs.
post Aug 27 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #20
Heda
   No Gallery Pics

The thing that's easy to forget about crowds at festivals is that it's not going to be made up entirely of proper fans of the band, there's that many artists playing that a lot of the people standing there might not even be fans and are only there so they can get a good spot seeing whoever is on the stage next so there's not going to be the same level of respect that there would be when the audience is solely made up of people who have bought tickets to specifically see one band like with a tour of their own, if that makes sense. At the end of the day they're just people and not ripping someone's clothes to shreds is surely basic human decency :')

Its a shame because I bet twenty one pilots are going to be wary about playing reading or leeds again, or any UK festivals for that matter sad.gif

I guess crowds differ from place to place as well, each city or country will have their own way of doing things, like at a lot of Scottish concerts everyone chants "here we, here we, here we f***ing go" before the band comes on stage or at the end of the set before an encore which I think is pretty cool, I never even realised it was a Scottish tradition at first laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2017 - 03:20 PM